PDA

View Full Version : typhoon

brownieride
06-27-2006, 07:29 PM
this weekend at the extreme dirt track national race at Greenbrier Arkansas a extreme dealer had a trailer load of the typhoons he said he had just got them in a few days ago. they were priced between 2200 for the 70 and 2500 for the 90 he didnt bring any of the 125s with him they are very sweet looking the motor looks just like the honda 90 but im not sure how close they are the power was about the same as the honda but you could tell the gearing was different but better

Rey Deleon
07-23-2006, 09:34 PM
Did you get a chance to see the Typhoon run? What did you think of the quality of the quad?

Livin4Real
07-24-2006, 08:53 AM
Make sure you buy from a reputable dealer as they need a lot of "pre-sell" service done to them and a good dealer will handle that before he sends you out the door with one and that seems pricey for the 90.

Pappy
07-24-2006, 08:56 AM
I took a gander at a few this weekend...

Pappy
07-24-2006, 08:57 AM
I still dont think it will be what most hoped it would be

Pappy
07-24-2006, 08:59 AM
open air filter....not going to make folks happy. we couldnt get 2 laps on a normal mx track without the filter ripping or being so clogged with dust.

Pappy
07-24-2006, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Livin4Real
Make sure you buy from a reputable dealer as they need a lot of "pre-sell" service done to them and a good dealer will handle that before he sends you out the door with one and that seems pricey for the 90.

Better yet, buy from a dealer that knows about quads. The extreme network of dealers that I have met have been totally oblivious to atv's

Livin4Real
07-24-2006, 09:35 AM
In your last pic Pappy you can see where they welded the bottom shock support UNDER the a-arm instead of THROUGH the a-arm like Kenny usually does. This worries me a ton.

Pappy
07-24-2006, 03:30 PM
Ive pretty much figured this will be a headache quad as I have posted before. The half quad, half bike frame just doesnt work for me:p the rear suspension just looks funky, and I know the engine will not hold up.

Call me when they get it right.

Spider 171
07-24-2006, 08:01 PM
Give Robb's Racing a call? I spoke to him and his boys tear the tracks up, He told me it was the most race ready machine out of the box besides the Cobra!
Give him a call he will give you the low down, from a serious racing perspective no bull. You can trust his stuff he also builds some of the hottest machines, from the Lem, to Kasea's, to Honda's, and now its going to be XTREME, Really XTREME!:D
Dealt with the guy on many occasions and my boy raced his, on many occasions, and he is a stand up guy to deal with, with awesome products. :D
We are just waiting to see his products, and waiting for our 125, I know he will make it bad ... and fast.

Livin4Real
07-24-2006, 09:01 PM
Your preaching to the choir. We've been around awhile and know Rob does good work but you have to have a good chassis to build on and the typhoons I don't think are built the way Kenny originally intended.

OzLinc
07-24-2006, 09:20 PM
I've had one of these things for a while now and thought the same as you guys with regard to the adapted frame and swingarm, now i realise I was just not used to it; it's so unconventional......now I've had time to get used to it I would not look at anything else.

Pappy
07-24-2006, 09:33 PM
Send me one, if I cant destroy it in a day I will buy 2 of them. We know all about the extreme engine....glad to be moving on to fullsize quads.

Spider 171
07-24-2006, 11:22 PM
I guess we won't be hearing much more from you on here then Pappy if you are moving up, so good luck. But I don't understand If you haven't run one how can you run it down.

I don't know I haven't run one, just going on what Robb told me about them, and I will take his word for it.It looks like you run alot of his parts, so i would think you would feel the same way.

And I am not Preaching to no choir. Xtreme has come a long way from where they were. Their products are much better than what they were a few years back. Every machine has its downfall, and that is where Robb's will pick up. His kids have been tearing up their 90's and they are still running.

It surely isn't what Kenny Vahn had built exactly, but he knew it wouldn't so that is why there are aftermarket parts. It is pretty close though. No matter what it is there will always be room for improvement.

Two years ago all we had were custom built racers, or lawn toys turned racers, now we are getting actual race ready mini's or real close to it, sorry you had to spend $10g to build yours. But the Market looks as though it is going to step up and not break the bank. Hope fully we can have race ready machines for a decent price and still be able to afford some custom parts.

Livin4Real
07-25-2006, 12:22 AM
I have seen them in person and running. And the 125 comes in at around 8hp stock from what Oz said before, about 1/2 what it needs to be and four-strokes aren't cheap to make fast like two-strokes. Yes it may be true it's the best ready-to-race out of the crate next to the cobra but what else is out there that claims to be race-ready? There's a brand new one for sale 105 kit and cdi and other stuff with it, only an hour on the quad because it didn't compare to the predator they already had. I'm sure they can give you a more in-depth review.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=243987

Aussie_YFZ450
07-25-2006, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by Livin4Real
I have seen them in person and running. And the 125 comes in at around 8hp stock from what Oz said before, about 1/2 what it needs to be and four-strokes aren't cheap to make fast like two-strokes. Yes it may be true it's the best ready-to-race out of the crate next to the cobra but what else is out there that claims to be race-ready? There's a brand new one for sale 105 kit and cdi and other stuff with it, only an hour on the quad because it didn't compare to the predator they already had. I'm sure they can give you a more in-depth review.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=243987

i dont post much but i gotta say somethin here...

the ad stated that the reason for sale was because the son didnt like it compared to the polaris. nowhere did it specifically say the sale was because it was slow compared to the polaris, but its no surprise if it was because the polaris is a 114 with a WRH cylinder

IF it was because of the lack of power wouldnt you think they would at least try the 105 kit before saying it was too slow

the 105 kit isnt even installed

Livin4Real
07-25-2006, 02:39 AM
Actually I said you can contact them for a more in-depth review so shoot him a pm and find out.

motoxgirl419
07-25-2006, 04:53 AM
ok, now I'm confused.. are we talking about the 125 or the 90? Am I wasting my time even thinking about getting an Xtreme for Allison?

Arctic Cat Dad
07-25-2006, 06:15 AM
I got to see the Typhoon 70 in action this weekend. We had an ama xc race. Before the race we looked it over real good. Before I start I'm not Bashing this mini. Glad to see some1 is starting to step up and build a real mini.

I really like the front end setup. It's great. Overall look of mini is great. Rear swing arm now is a different thing. Looks REAL weak. And I'm with pappy on this 1 Mikey will blow that swing arm system up in no time. The way the rear shock hooked up to the upper part that goes down to the swing will not hold up in XC racing. They put the air pod in the wrong place and there is no way to fix this as we can see. Unless they make an intake that turns the carb completely towards the front and not the side.

This mini made 2 laps on a pretty clean track and came around missing ,spitting and popping. On Mikeys 2nd lap he cought this mini at the checkpoint to lap him. The Typhoon was on his 1st lap!. I thought ok let's see how much power this mini has. He flew past him like he was sitting still. With a bone stock Honda with nothing but a Hetrick pipe.Plus 18" Kenda klaw mxr's which are 4 ply and rob HP.

We were going to get 2 of these to build for the GNCC's, but now were scratching our heads. The airbox is a HUGE problem. The rear end setup is also a big issue. I believe I'll sink the 5 grand into our Honda and have Honda quality! You can't beat that.

Once again these words are just my thoughts, You may see differ. And I'm not bashing the quad at all. I do like the mini alot it's a HUGE step for the mini world. And the folks who built it are GREAT people and I praise them for making the steps in the right direction. I thank them for that!

I know you all are thinking how did he see 1 race in an ama event? It was the only 70 there.If he finished ahead on any1 else it wouldn't count. We just wanted to se how this mini ran in an XC race.

1 other thing. If any1 is thinking of getting 1 of these 70's for the 70 class don't waste your money. Because the 2 smoke 70's will eat them for lunch!:D

Livin4Real
07-25-2006, 06:27 AM
I think you'd find Allison's current ride much better but try and find someone near you that has one and take it for a spin and see what you think. And I've seen the 90's, Oz has a 125 and posted some specs awhile back that's where the 8hp came from. There's no doubt in my mind that Rob will have these things tricked out and haulin' but at what cost?
If they are only 8hp at 125cc how far are you going to have to go to get them up to par and when you do how are they going to justify putting it in a class with 90cc bikes (just guessin' on what class they'll be in). I'd rather wait and see how they class it to insure my money goes toward the right one. With the major series' finishing up hopefully they take care of it relatively soon.

Pappy
07-25-2006, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by Spider 171
I guess we won't be hearing much more from you on here then Pappy if you are moving up, so good luck. But I don't understand If you haven't run one how can you run it down.

Two years ago all we had were custom built racers, or lawn toys turned racers, now we are getting actual race ready mini's or real close to it, sorry you had to spend $10g to build yours. But the Market looks as though it is going to step up and not break the bank. Hope fully we can have race ready machines for a decent price and still be able to afford some custom parts.

Incorrect, I have my hands all over the mini quads and will be involved in testing, and reviewing all the models we can get ahold of.

I still believe you will be dumping cash into ANY mini you buy.....longevity is the concern i have with the Xtreme, and sadly i think you are going to find out i am correct in my assumptions.

Alas, I too had high hopes, but after seeing what I have been able to see, I am afraid the bar is too low on this venture.

nomokids
07-25-2006, 09:49 PM
I have been impressed with the discussions on the expected performance of the Typhoon 125. However, I like most parents, always look to make the production bike a little more potent. I have been looking at the things (after market parts) from the pit bike world and how they will marry up to this machine.

I just like the combinations this machine can be morphed into. I do like hearing from people with first hand racing experience on the machine they are talking about. We have been involved in the racing world for many years and recently in the mini-quad realm due to my 9 year old daughters interest. She is throwing a fit about purchasing the Typhoon. she says, "but Dad I already know what my quad (2006 Pro Shark) can do. I like it better" Well she said that when she was on her Kasea 90cc (now little brothers).

I'm just saying kids are funny like that. my daughter will practice on her new Typhoon and get to know its riding characteristics. I will look at how it handles and take the feedback from her and see where we have to go from there.

Bottom line is I was turned onto this quad for its price point and the company behind this product.

yes, I know I may be percieved as biased as I sell Xtreme products. But, I will not take the chance and put somthing out there that is not going to handle racing. I live and have my business in a small town. We all know how word of mouth spreads fast and I will always be honest and do the right thing in my dealings.

I am learning that with quads, no matter the brand or size of bike, it's 'don't knock it 'til you try it'. Therefore, I have trouble taking advice from those who have not had first hand experience. I have heard too many parents putting down bikes on what they heard or putting them down because of pictures. We all know that it's the riding that counts. Bottom line is most of us are only speculating, as we have not yet gotten our butts in the seats. I like what I see and will hold judgement until my daughter has ridden hers.

Spider 171
07-26-2006, 11:00 AM
I like how you put it, I talked to Robb's Racing who informed me on the specs. He has had his kids thrashing on them trying to break them, but I haven't heard anything yet of failure, just a few glitches, like jetting. So my son has raced with his boys and I have known him for a few years and he builds some if not the best trick stuff on the market. I will take his word for it, he is a stand-up guy.

lil rippers dad
07-26-2006, 08:19 PM
i think the quad will hold up, but the reason we are selling ours is my son likes his polaris better. my son has ridden our track on the typhoon and he likes the handling just not the lack of power. take in mind our predator was built by wrh racing with every part you can buy and a huge crank. i have no doubt they will be good quads but i dont want to wait that long. my son is getting bettar on his 85 and were looking for a cobra.+

Livin4Real
07-26-2006, 08:48 PM
I hear ya on the cobra. After watching Pittman last week I'm convinced, just don't have the pocketbook to do it right now. The 50's were about as fast as the cvt 90's, crazy.

motoxgirl419
07-27-2006, 04:49 AM
Hey Brian, I don't think it mattered what Pittman was riding. That boy is just fast. He sure knows how to ride. Even if it was with a broken wrist.

markvette
07-27-2006, 08:17 PM
ok, i am a friend of rippers. as a matter of fact his polaris motor is in my shop right now for some work. you got to understand his polaris was origanally built by billy holt for his own son. it has nothing but the best parts on it. the motor alone is worth $4000. i would bet anyony hands down this is the fastest mini quad in the nation. now that explained, rippers typhoon has been in my shop also. the quads come from the factory with the jetting screwed up and have to be rejetted. the shifting is notching but i have already heard of a fix for that. comparing the typhoon 125 to a honda 125 is no comparison. most that put the 125 in the honda also have port work done, big cams, high compression pistons and many other mods done to them. the typhoon125 has 125cc but is mild. if anyone expects to buy a race ready mini for $2400 and go out and smoke $6000 to $14,000 race minis then they have never built a race mini. i believe the typhoon with motor mods will run with the hondas and beat most 2 stroke minis. remember a lot of it is the rider. i will let you know soon as billy and i are getting ready to tear into a typhoon 90 and see what we can get out of it. he also has 2 125's coming for his son and i guarantee when we get donr with them they will rock.

Mark

Livin4Real
07-27-2006, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by motoxgirl419
Hey Brian, I don't think it mattered what Pittman was riding. That boy is just fast. He sure knows how to ride. Even if it was with a broken wrist.

He's fast no doubt, but it helps when you've got $12-$14, 000 sittin' under ya' :)

Rey Deleon
07-28-2006, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by markvette
ok, i am a friend of rippers. as a matter of fact his polaris motor is in my shop right now for some work. you got to understand his polaris was origanally built by billy holt for his own son. it has nothing but the best parts on it. the motor alone is worth $4000. i would bet anyony hands down this is the fastest mini quad in the nation. now that explained, rippers typhoon has been in my shop also. the quads come from the factory with the jetting screwed up and have to be rejetted. the shifting is notching but i have already heard of a fix for that. comparing the typhoon 125 to a honda 125 is no comparison. most that put the 125 in the honda also have port work done, big cams, high compression pistons and many other mods done to them. the typhoon125 has 125cc but is mild. if anyone expects to buy a race ready mini for $2400 and go out and smoke $6000 to $14,000 race minis then they have never built a race mini. i believe the typhoon with motor mods will run with the hondas and beat most 2 stroke minis. remember a lot of it is the rider. i will let you know soon as billy and i are getting ready to tear into a typhoon 90 and see what we can get out of it. he also has 2 125's coming for his son and i guarantee when we get donr with them they will rock.

Mark

I cant agree with you more. I'm excited about the Typhoon because of all the work that has gone into the type of engine the Typhoon is equipped with.

quadinfamily
07-28-2006, 05:49 AM
can you tell me what the how to fix the notching shifter
?

Pappy
07-28-2006, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by Rey Deleon
I cant agree with you more. I'm excited about the Typhoon because of all the work that has gone into the type of engine the Typhoon is equipped with.

LOL...sounds like they needed to do some more work.

And the engine will run, especially with the manual clutch. It wont last, but it will run:p Ours, jetted with an exhaust ran very well, which is the extent most riders will take these engines. They will not hold a candle to even a mildly built mini 2 stroke.

Now, if you want to drop $3500 or more into the engine, thats another animal. It isnt quite the same machine after that nor is any heavily modded machine.

Video of our Xtreme (http://media.putfile.com/Breezewood_Cody_finish)

markvette
07-28-2006, 07:25 AM
adjust the clutch with the adjustment on the right hand side cover. you can get the shifting better by this but not perfect.

also on the 125 motor holding up. i think it will. this is why the 125 has taken so long to come out. the motor has went through some changes for the typhoon. not just a motor bought to put in but built to xtremes specs. i have been to xtremes warehouse in arkansas 3 times. when this idea was being kicked around billy holt and i carried an eton to xtreme to be copied as their dual a-arm quad. this eton was built by kenny vaughn also and belongs to a racer in texas. xtreme decided not to copy this quad and build their own version using many in house parts so parts would be interchangable. this eton belongs to troy white. it was in the xtreme booth in indy at the dealers show 2 years ago. billy and i both were there at the show in their booth with 2 quads we brought to the show for them. as a matter of fact we met with some of the engineers that year at the show who wanted to buy this quad and take it back and copy it but a buying price could not be agreed on. lane at xtreme wanted his own design so he went with this design a year later. i have a few pics of the eton i will post. if you have never seen it it is an awesomw quad that is raced by a little girl.

Mark

markvette
07-28-2006, 07:28 AM
http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/205/205961/pages/684932/f8db69cb.jpg

markvette
07-28-2006, 07:29 AM
http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/205/205961/pages/684933/f8db5148.jpg

OzLinc
07-30-2006, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Pappy

And the engine will run, especially with the manual clutch. It wont last, but it will run:p Ours, jetted with an exhaust ran very well, which is the extent most riders will take these engines. They will not hold a candle to even a mildly built mini 2 stroke.

Now, if you want to drop $3500 or more into the engine, thats another animal. It isnt quite the same machine after that nor is any heavily modded machine.

Video of our Xtreme (http://media.putfile.com/Breezewood_Cody_finish)

Don't know why you have such an axe to grind............and don't know why you have such a harsh oppinion on something you have no idea on.

My 125 just whipped a PRO Shark 90 out of the gate....that was with adults riding them,.........the TYPHOON just creamed it; both stock.....

Oh......I get it; you were comparing a 90 4st against a 90 2st. The 90 and 125 are completely different motors.

$3500......for motor work; get real......

Get your facts straight before you spout out more of your cheque book opinions.......at least see the product first.

Pappy
07-30-2006, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by OzLinc
Don't know why you have such an axe to grind............and don't know why you have such a harsh oppinion on something you have no idea on.

My 125 just whipped a PRO Shark 90 out of the gate....that was with adults riding them,.........the TYPHOON just creamed it; both stock.....

Oh......I get it; you were comparing a 90 4st against a 90 2st. The 90 and 125 are completely different motors.

$3500......for motor work; get real......

Get your facts straight before you spout out more of your cheque book opinions.......at least see the product first.

Maybe you should actually find out what a top level 125cc stroker costs from the very builders posting on this site before you spout a damn thing to me. I DO know what they charge!

And I am entitled to have any opinion I feel like having since I know exactly what is about to be handed to the masses. This may be money in the bank for alot of folks eager to work on, warranty, build and upgrade, but for the majority of folks this as well as alot of other "mini race quads" are crap! And once your young rider reaches a certain point you will see exactly what I am talking about!

Maybe you should spend some time with a rider who can outride anything the market can build and then inform me of your findings. Until then, keep you nose up Xtreme's tailpipe! And I will compare what is on the market wether it be a 4 stroke or 2. This is reality, you will see both machines on the track...hello...do you all race down under or merely moan about what others have to say:eek2:

And as far as my "checkbook" opinions, maybe you would like to be the one to inform everyone exactly what Xtreme did to strengthen the 125 over their current 125 used in the pitbike....noone else seems eager to stand behind what noone is wanting to say:eek2:

Pappy
07-30-2006, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by OzLinc
I've had one of these things for a while now and thought the same as you guys with regard to the adapted frame and swingarm, now i realise I was just not used to it; it's so unconventional......now I've had time to get used to it I would not look at anything else.

Its so unconventional.....a pitbike rear section mated to a front section for a quad.It reminds me of the trike to quad conversions that never succeeded in the 80's. Thats not unconventional... sounds like the manufacture found a way to save a few pennies.

And I had hoped alot out of this quad, I have another son that is ready to try his hand on 4 wheels. Again, nice thought, poor concept. This buyer walked away before they ever got the 125 engine on our shores. I have no axe to grind, just bringing what I see as a consumer to others. You can polish a turd, but its still a turd. I do not single out Xtreme, I have been exremely frustrated for some time with the latest round of mini's targeted for those that want their child to have something over the big name manufactures, and I feel that if Xtreme wanted to they could have handed us a quad that was purpose built at a fair market price. Alot of us are looking for something we do not have to "address" the minute we get the quad home, and we are willing to pay for it! If given the option to buy this model being discussed, or its 90cc brethran, versus a version with a true quad chassis and an engine that provides one with more then the need for dry terrain, it would be a home run. As consumers it is our right to be informed, but sadly alot of buyers will walk away with a smile that changes to dismay on alot of mini purchases.....dont get your aussi rear end all bunched up OzLinc...I spread it around and hold people accountable for what they advertise. I have already heard the sales pitch on the Xtremes, they and their dealers are doing a fine job of buttering folks up. This being the internet, there is no need for the hype, just post the facts and stop being so secretive about what the issues and positives are. People on here claim to know an aweful lot about what is coming, yet not one of them will post what you do not want to hear. This is not exclusive to mini quads or this model, but atleast here you can expect to get the straight scoop, because if it has issues they will be openly identified. I will have the chance to turn loose my rider on a bone stock 125 Xtreme when they are available, and you can bet I will give it a 100% un-biased review. If it works...it works, if it doesnt, it will be reported. I am comfortable with that, how many people pushing this quad will be comfortable with our testing the quad :p

We still have 2 more years that we are eligiable to race the 90 classes......I honestly hope I am 110% wrong and we can do it on a quad that doesnt cost $14,000, but time and a good testing will tell. (Now I geuss I will hear all about how this isnt a race quad and its not designed to be thrashed....trust me, it will get the same use as any quad we own. It will see more laps in one day then most users will see in 6 months, lets hope its up to it, I know my checkbook sure hopes it is!;) )

bracey
07-31-2006, 12:36 AM
is that all you do is complain seems to me your the god over mini quads this site is for people to post things on not nag on others and their choice of mini quads of course everyone thinks he or she has the best quad or they wouldnt own it just liten up some i get on this site all the time only to find you naggen on someone or something your wearing me out cant you think of something nice to say i sure hope so good bye !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pappy
07-31-2006, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by bracey
is that all you do is complain seems to me your the god over mini quads this site is for people to post things on not nag on others and their choice of mini quads of course everyone thinks he or she has the best quad or they wouldnt own it just liten up some i get on this site all the time only to find you naggen on someone or something your wearing me out cant you think of something nice to say i sure hope so good bye !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, I am the mini quad god:rolleyes: God forbid someone actually posts something that doesnt go with the flow. And I am not going anywhere, i will be here long after the Xtreme has come and gone.

And do you not read or comprehend what is posted? Do I need to point out the positives I stated or did you just glance over the posts.....looking for bright and cheery things to make yourself feel better

And bracey, I seem to remember you asking if anyone had problems with the cobra on this forum, wouldnt it be nice to actually get the issues and problems on a part or product instead of being told its the best thing since toilet paper? I wanted a cobra also, but have been run off of them at every turn by the very people that everyone likes to use as reference when it comes to mini race quads!

:D

bracey
07-31-2006, 11:01 AM
your cheese has slip off your cracker sometime ago sorry to here that hope you get better soon

Pappy
07-31-2006, 11:21 AM
your cheese has slip off your cracker sometime ago sorry to here that hope you get better soon

Thanks for bringing your intelligence to this issue. Would you like to address anything besides your dismay that I have opinions or would you prefer to keep your standards low? (I geuss it is easier to attack the messenger then address the message....)

Spider 171
07-31-2006, 11:42 AM
I like you Bracy, but Pappy you are trying to hard to Knock down the Xtreme, Before you have ridden it. I mean the 125, Who knows, I know you don't, because I don't have mine yet and I am sure yours isn't either. I know it will need mods, and they are readily available. If you have any Knowledge with a fourstroke you should be able to get Most of the power out of it, without big bucks. The only tricks most won't be able to do is Port and Polish, how much? But I can't see spending $4K on a motor the unless you are an idiot. Now sure Shocks and A-Arms, the list can go on for anything including the Cobra's, and All the others.

Just post something positive or keep it to your self. You preach the same thing over and over, wait till you test it and then become Pappy the Preacher. Sounds like it would fit you.

We just all want our 125's, to find out for ourselves.

Thanks for your opinion but enough is enough.

Spider 171
07-31-2006, 11:45 AM
That looked like a Honda to me? Or does it have and Xtreme motor in a Honda? Please enlighten us.

Pappy
07-31-2006, 12:06 PM
We are now resorting to name calling:p Do you all hone in on the negative? You fail to mention I posted the 125cc Xtreme pitbike engines run strong, noone has explained what they are doing differently to beef up the bottom end(a major concern on any mini), no one has shown me or anyone else anything besides alot of lip smacking.

Maybe take off the dream glasses and help me atleast see what I am missing. I would expect someone to promote the dual arms, the 12 inch front shocks/8 inch rear, the decent brakes, etc, but instead you spend your energy trying to prove me wrong with no proof:p Ive read reviews about its slim design for better rider comfort and race feel. Its a pitbike at heart, how else can they not make it slim:eek2: :p

I think you all are reading too much into what I am saying, and thinking that I am on some "seek and destroy" mission which is not the case. All the positive attributes in the world wont help fix problems that are a design flaw in my eyes. Heck, you could have told Mussi that there are intakes that allow repositioning of the carb, engine kits that will soon exceed 130cc:eek2: aftermarket suspension sitting on shelves waiting for the 125 to get here! All of which means squat if the quad is broken in half or the bottom end grenades. Maybe someone can tell me how they intend to beef up the rear end, or strengthen the peg area where it meets the frame. Why is it so hard for anyone to offer information for those of us that actually beat these quads to death every week so we know what we will be getting ourselves into. That information is not targeted to this model only, you can browse the mini sections and get good info on issues and fixes or things to avoid on any available model on the market!

From what I have been told the 125 will share everything the 90cc quad offers except it will be 125cc. So why cant we start using the 90 as a reference to the issues we will face with the 125.

Why in the heck did I use the Xtreme engine to see how it would fair in a mini quad chassis to get ahead of the learning curve. I guess I planned to dislike the overall quad all along(insert sarcasm) Oh, you didnt know that part of it did you? I get bashed and yelled at for posting a video showing how well the Xtreme runs...lmao.

Pappy
07-31-2006, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Spider 171
That looked like a Honda to me? Or does it have and Xtreme motor in a Honda? Please enlighten us.

It had the Xtreme 125 in it! And it flew with the manual clutch! Thats OUR mini! Enlighten him Oz, I dont think anyone wants to hear my findings;)

OzLinc
07-31-2006, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
It had the Xtreme 125 in it! And it flew with the manual clutch! Thats OUR mini! Enlighten him Oz, I dont think anyone wants to hear my findings;)

Ummmm??????.......not my video.......if that's what your refering to.

YZ120
08-01-2006, 06:44 PM
of all the mini quads out there they are all meant to be used for recreation,the typhoon is no different!
i didnt see were it says they are racing quads(typhoon)
no matter what brand or model if its going to be raced you have to put effort into it!

you think ricky carmichael races a stock bike!

CANT WE ALL JUST GET ALONG!!!:rolleyes:

Arctic Cat Dad
08-01-2006, 07:13 PM
I'm sorry but I have to stick with pappy with this 1. I've asked alot of questions about this mini and haven't really gotton a real answer on what they did to their engine. I don't think if will be as tuff as the Honda engine. I also think the rear swing arm system is weak. I don't think it would last in the extreme woods racing that we do. I know that a Honda can hit logs 12" around and keep on going at a pretty high rate of speed.I don't think those small tubes on the xtreme will handle that. Plus I've seen our Honda land some pretty mean jumps time and time again and It took it.

What I think Pappy is trying to say is that SOME kids aren't your normal kids. Some of us have some pretty sick kids that love to push there mini's pass the point of no return. And it's hard to find a mini to take this kind of abuse day after day. We ride our mini's EVERY day and they take the abuse that our kids give them

We were going to get the Typhoon but after seeing 1 and racing against 1 I think we will wait. Because I think my son can trash this mini in a heartbeat.

And no1 told me about the intake system because that was our biggest concern.

And as for sinking 4 grand into an engine thing. Just call some of the top mini quad shops and ask how much for a national engine, 4 grand is cheap! I know I called some. You will have atleast 2 grand in parts alone!

What we are missing on this issue is that NO mini is race ready. Not even the Cobra. My buddy has sunk a ton of money into his Cobra and It's never finished a National yet,but He's got 4 class wins and a podium finish on a HONDA that he built himself. No matter what we buy were gonna sink a ton of money into it to make it a great machine to last and win races. So why take a chance on something new with a new design when we know the machines we own are race proven and tested. When the typhoon had problems from the start before it was even released let alone put thru race conditions time and time again.

I guess time will tell on this issue.

And Pappy knows a thing or 2 about mini's. Have you seen Codys ride. He had a pile of cash stuffed into that ride.Plus That mini took jumps and landings that a mini shouldn't be abel to take. On a stock Honda frame.

bracey
08-02-2006, 09:33 AM
at least the last 2 post are saying what everybody has been tring to say only time will tell. All i know is that some pretty big names in the mini quad world are dealers for them and have spoke highly of them and have started making extras for them i dont think if they was junk like pappy thinks they are that these people would associate with them at all thanks

Pappy
08-02-2006, 02:14 PM
if they was junk like pappy thinks they are that these people would associate with them at all thanks

Actually, a new model that will need the "builders" attention, the sales for upgraded parts because the stock parts will either not hold up or do the job intended, the performance work associated with an underpowered motor, yep...what in the world would anyone want to get in on that for:D Lets see, I will take "Money" for $1000 Alex. (sarcasm for those with no sense of humor)

And I also have been informed that more then one dealer is involved with disagreeing with me....again, why in the world would someone who wants to sell these machines not want someone giving a different perspective that wasnt 110% onboard with thier own thoughts. Its ok, no Jeaprody reference needed
;) :p

And thanks for all the pm's folks, I do try and share my insights even when they rub others the wrong way:cool:

nomokids
08-03-2006, 02:14 AM
the information i gathered on the engine is that the original units that arrived in Europe had transmission issues. therefore, Xtreme motor co. made changes to the trasmission so the transmission can take the stresses from the motor.

i have purchased an orange 90cc. i want to see what this quad is really made of. i am curious about the suspension, performance and durability.

i am familiar with the pitbike engines and how much improvements were made to the original design. I have read the posts and you are entitled to your opinion, which according to you is based on your experience.

we have our daughter involved in mini quad racing and we have heard from other participants in our local racing series talk about their opinions. One thing is clear, everyone seems to have their minds made up and their particular quad (no matter what make or model) is the best because of whatever upgades were added.

Pappy
08-03-2006, 05:00 AM
you have 2 much time on your hands. And your wasting your time on these post you could be ruling the world by now

This is my job, I get paid to be here. If you do not like it then roll out or I will remove you from the site. Its a pretty simple deal. You can differ on opinion, but when you start singling me or any one member out just to bash them, you are not going to be welcome here.

nomokids....it is supposedly transmission gears that is being upgraded, but noone will say exactly what is being improved, merely that it is.

Rey Deleon
08-03-2006, 10:56 AM
from what i know the engine it self is supposedly fine. the trans was upgraded with higher quality materials. as far as the prep, due to EPA/C.A.R.B. regulations the motors have to be governed way down. The dealer is given the service bulletin and volunrary modification forms. the unit is then prepped out to whatever configuration the customer is planning to use the unit for.

markvette
08-03-2006, 12:27 PM
ok i have to jump in again. there have been some very good points brought up here both pro and na. again you cant buy a fully prepped race machine for $2400. i remember it was not long ago most of us kidded about the trx90 being a lawn mower without a blade. look how far they have come since that time..... but not without a lot of money and upgrades put in them. my son runs a eton 90 that has a 110cc stroker motor in it. no i dont ever see the typhoon having the speed and accelaration that our eton has. but i do see it out handeling our eton. i also dont see having to replace the tranny or the cases as often as we do with the eton. i am a die hard 2 stroke fan but the 4 strokes are gonna take over eventually. already dinli has quit shipping to the usa because they didnt want to go to 4 stroke, how many more will take this route.. as far as a factory building a fully ready race quad, i for one cant afford one. i can buy the quad for $2400 and little by little mod it but i cant plop out $11,000 for a 90cc cobra at one time and i think many mini quad dads are in the same boat. as i said before, there are more and better things to come for the typhoon, they just have not been released to the general public yet. just wait and see all will be good.

Mark

Pappy
08-03-2006, 12:41 PM
Well stated markvette....

Here is something that was sent to me about the 90cc which is available...again, this is NOT me, this is someone who wishes to remain anonomous.

Had a friend pick one up for his daughter. Came out to the mx track and half the pieces fell off during the first moto and she wasn't even riding aggressive. I agree that they aren't race ready and anything more than a small flat circle track is going to make them fall apart.

This is what concernes me, overall quality. NOT THAT IT CANT BE IMPROVED, but from what I have seen and based on others who have the 90, they need alot more attention then what they are being advertised as...

markvette
08-03-2006, 01:13 PM
that could have been the fealer setup too/ as you probably know i help billy holt at wrh racing out timt to time. we setup 3 recently and spent a few hours going over each one. checked all nuts and bolts, added 4th gear, adjusted valves and rejetted. if a dealer is just putting them together and selling them that is a problem. they have to be rejetted as they are sent here very lean to be legal to come into the country. i too dont like the notchy shifting or the front shock mounts but nothing is perfect and i think the shifting can be helped. billy and i have not had time to tear into one yet because the 2 stroke business has really taken off in the past few weeks. we worked all weekend to get 2 motors out of the shop that had to go. the guy that is selling his is a friend of mine and only lives about 2 miles from me. his son is one of the most agressive riders in out area, he has broke nothing on his typhoon. he just got use to the big predator stroker he has and dont want to put a lot into the typhoon.

Mark

sadinkins
08-05-2006, 04:01 PM
does anyone have 1 with the 108 kit installed to know how much difference there is?the little man i'm helping with his is really missing his kasea power and having all kinds of trouble getting the shifting right.the jetting is not quite right on it yet either,anyone got any suggestions?he really loves the suspension and says he wouldn't go back to the kasea although he really misses his power.hes only 9 and getting really frustrated.any help appreciated.

Rey Deleon
08-08-2006, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by YZ120
of all the mini quads out there they are all meant to be used for recreation,the typhoon is no different!
i didnt see were it says they are racing quads(typhoon)
no matter what brand or model if its going to be raced you have to put effort into it!

you think ricky carmichael races a stock bike!

CANT WE ALL JUST GET ALONG!!!:rolleyes:

You make an excellent point.

Rey Deleon
08-08-2006, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by sadinkins
does anyone have 1 with the 108 kit installed to know how much difference there is?the little man i'm helping with his is really missing his kasea power and having all kinds of trouble getting the shifting right.the jetting is not quite right on it yet either,anyone got any suggestions?he really loves the suspension and says he wouldn't go back to the kasea although he really misses his power.hes only 9 and getting really frustrated.any help appreciated.

In order to conform to the CPSC and ANSI standards for Youth ATVs, the CDI of all the Typhoon’s contain a speed limiter circuit. This circuit is the primary speed limiting device on the ATV. You may choose to bypass this circuit after you are satisfied that your rider is capable of safely operating the ATV at higher speeds.
Begin by removing the CDI from the suspension and pulling it down to expose the back of the CDI unit. There will be a loop of wire protruding from the black resin of the CDI. Using wire cutters carefully cut this wire. Depending on load and terrain, the ATV is now capable of reaching the maximum CPSC recommended speed for the particular class of ATV.
There may be other devices that limit the top speed of the ATV. These may include low ratio final gearing and CVT modifications that limit pulley travel and reduce higher gear ratios to limit speed.

Pappy
08-08-2006, 05:01 AM
Originally posted by Rey Deleon
In order to conform to the CPSC and ANSI standards for Youth ATVs, the CDI of all the Typhoon’s contain a speed limiter circuit. This circuit is the primary speed limiting device on the ATV. You may choose to bypass this circuit after you are satisfied that your rider is capable of safely operating the ATV at higher speeds.
Begin by removing the CDI from the suspension and pulling it down to expose the back of the CDI unit. There will be a loop of wire protruding from the black resin of the CDI. Using wire cutters carefully cut this wire. Depending on load and terrain, the ATV is now capable of reaching the maximum CPSC recommended speed for the particular class of ATV.
There may be other devices that limit the top speed of the ATV. These may include low ratio final gearing and CVT modifications that limit pulley travel and reduce higher gear ratios to limit speed.

That explains the bad shiftiong....lmao

Dealers, go elsewhere.