PDA

View Full Version : E-85

juiced450r
06-27-2006, 05:23 PM
Anyone running e-85 in their bikes? I gained 2 bikes on my buddy just by switching to it. We switched his then and it was back to the same distance. Haven't had it to the dyno yet though. Some guys are claiming 4-5 hp. Just wanting to know if anyone else has had success with it.

IOWAracer
06-27-2006, 05:27 PM
WOW i might switch if that is the case idk though i will wait and here what other guys have to say thats kinda impressive though 5 hp just on gas that is cheaper lol

R3Concepts
06-27-2006, 07:13 PM
E85 makes the same power as Oxy fuels, and IS NOT for the average Joe.

juiced450r
06-27-2006, 07:20 PM
Not for the average Joe?? I have been running nothing but E-85 through my bike for 2 months, no problems yet. It just takes a little longer to warm up. Actually it is not like U2 or U4 it is basically alcohol. It makes more power than U4 in my bike by a significant margin and is not $80.00 for 5 gallons. Anyone can run this by just rejetting the carb.

450robot
06-27-2006, 07:21 PM
e-85 wouldnt even run a 450r properly, way to low of an octane, besides it would reak hell on you internal seals, tubes, and gaskets if left in it due to the high alcohol content of it

juiced450r
06-27-2006, 07:25 PM
Dude E-85 has a 105 octane rating!!! Obviously you have not tried it in anything. Yeah I am lying that is why my bikes performance increased. Don't knock it till you try it and don't accuse me of lying if you have no idea what you are talking about!!!!!!!!!!!!!

450robot
06-27-2006, 07:26 PM
i'll admit to not knowing the octane rating

but i still stand on my other points

GPracer2500
06-27-2006, 08:28 PM
Agreed on the corrosive properties of E85. Flex-Fuel-Vehicles that can run E85 have different fuel system parts that allow their use.

If your going to run E85, then at the minimum I'd drain the E85 from the fuel system and flush with regualar gasoline after each ride.

honduh440
06-27-2006, 08:40 PM
actually you dont have to treat it like alcohol its just fine to run it.

GPracer2500
06-27-2006, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by honduh440
actually you dont have to treat it like alcohol its just fine to run it.

Really? Everything I've read says it's corrosive to traditional fueling compenents. Not corrosive like it's gonna melt the parts as soon as you pour it in, but corrosive in that over time it will errode the components. What makes you say it's OK?

I just want to be sure there's not something I'm missing.

juiced450r
06-27-2006, 09:02 PM
It is slightly corrosive over time, supposedly. I have had it in mine for 2 months and last week I checked the carb for any noticeable problems and I found none. All I can say is if you want cheap extra hp switch to it.

honduh440
06-27-2006, 09:31 PM
im not understanding where everyone thinks this horsepower is comming from. i mean if u put 110 octane in a stock motor its not going to gain any power. higher octane is just made to work with certain set ups not gain power. correct me if im wrong

juiced450r
06-27-2006, 09:36 PM
E-85 is 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline. It is very similiar to alcohol. If they did not add the gas to it you could drink it and it would be like 200 proof alcohol. If you have ever ran alcohol in a bike you would understand how much you actually gain. Granted the more compression the more you gain. I have 11.5:1 and it mad a considerable difference. It is not just ordinary c12 turbo blue, etc.

GPracer2500
06-27-2006, 10:16 PM
Should I assume you guy's are rejetting for E85? Are you running the same heat range spark plug?

honduh440
06-27-2006, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by juiced450r
E-85 is 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline. It is very similiar to alcohol. If they did not add the gas to it you could drink it and it would be like 200 proof alcohol. If you have ever ran alcohol in a bike you would understand how much you actually gain. Granted the more compression the more you gain. I have 11.5:1 and it mad a considerable difference. It is not just ordinary c12 turbo blue, etc.

can you explain to me the physics on how e85 makes a stock engine gain horsepower? im not being an *******

juiced450r
06-27-2006, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
Should I assume you guy's are rejetting for E85? Are you running the same heat range spark plug?

Yes you have to rejet for E-85. I have an FCR 41mm and I run an alcohol needle, a 62 pilot, and a 220 main. I run the same plug though. I use the same set-up to run straight alcohol also.

juiced450r
06-27-2006, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by honduh440
can you explain to me the physics on how e85 makes a stock engine gain horsepower? im not being an *******

No sorry:(

R3Concepts
06-27-2006, 10:53 PM
Not for the average Joe?? I have been running nothing but E-85 through my bike for 2 months, no problems yet. It just takes a little longer to warm up. Actually it is not like U2 or U4 it is basically alcohol. It makes more power than U4 in my bike by a significant margin and is not $80.00 for 5 gallons. Anyone can run this by just rejetting the carb.

Really? I didnt know anything about E85.:rolleyes: Got any proof to back up your claims?

It makes the SAME power as U4. Not everyone can run E85, it needs to be set up on a dyno. You are way fat even for E85 hate to say it.

But hey what do I know.

E85 is 105 octane. Burns 1.7 times faster then race gas. Is not as corrosive on seals as straight Methanol. Originated in the Midwest by independent companies, and is made from corn by products. 85% Ethanol and 15% gas, why the 15% gas you ask? The 15% gas helps in the Midwest, for cold starts in the winter, keep it from hydrolocking. Should still be run with a top end oil, to coat seals and parts to aviod them drying out since in essence thats what Alky does.

This would be a closer E85 setup on say a 40 FCR: 55 pilot, 200 main, FCR comes with a big seat and needle, so no need to change the needle and seat, but you do need to run an Alky needle, I would say on the 3rd from the top. FCRs come stock with a 72 slow jet, so it needs to be upped to a 90 slow jet. Also for best results plug the leak jet (at the bottom of the bowl) with a set screw, and eliminate the squirter...

OWNED.:D

GPracer2500
06-27-2006, 10:53 PM
Yes you have to rejet for E-85. I have an FCR 41mm and I run an alcohol needle, a 62 pilot, and a 220 main. I run the same plug though. I use the same set-up to run straight alcohol also.

Gotcha.

R3Concepts
06-27-2006, 10:57 PM
Also to add. The most U4 or E85 will make over race gas is 2 HP. Been there tested that.

Also please note that this a peak HP comparison between the 2 fuels. You can see the E85 makes more HP and TQ up until 7500. Which would make it a clear winner at 2.15 a gallon vs U4 at 10+ a gallon.

If I would have gotten that dip out with Alky it would have pulled 57-58. Yes, folks that TRX is a bad b!tch. Weighs in at 235 ready to go I might add.

R3 Out.:eek2:

400exrider707
06-27-2006, 11:05 PM
Its the few people like you R3 that make this site worth while, you actually can post something useful and informational at the same time, instead of saying wow this pipe I put on gave me 20 horse, but I have no dyno sheet, or pictures of it. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info.

juiced450r
06-28-2006, 09:06 AM
"E85 is 105 octane. Burns 1.7 times faster then race gas. Is not as corrosive on seals as straight Methanol. Originated in the Midwest by independent companies, and is made from corn by products. 85% Ethanol and 15% gas, why the 15% gas you ask? The 15% gas helps in the Midwest, for cold starts in the winter, keep it from hydrolocking. Should still be run with a top end oil, to coat seals and parts to aviod them drying out since in essence thats what Alky does."

Hey man thanks for the info. I never claimed to be an expert on it just stating my experiances with it. It sounds like you definitaly know what you are talking about. In my bike it does make more power than U4 with the comparisons I have done. Thanks again

stumpleg
06-28-2006, 09:17 AM
This fuel will eat away at your seals and rubber hoses. A friend of mine worked at a Chevy dealership, and said they had to put new fuel pumps and hoses on trucks because they thought they could run this fuel. Your vehicle or ATV has to be compatible to run this, but it you want to replace things concerning your fuel system, by all means go right ahead and run this fuel, but it would be wise not to.

R3Concepts
06-28-2006, 05:15 PM
"E85 is 105 octane. Burns 1.7 times faster then race gas. Is not as corrosive on seals as straight Methanol. Originated in the Midwest by independent companies, and is made from corn by products. 85% Ethanol and 15% gas, why the 15% gas you ask? The 15% gas helps in the Midwest, for cold starts in the winter, keep it from hydrolocking. Should still be run with a top end oil, to coat seals and parts to aviod them drying out since in essence thats what Alky does."

Hey man thanks for the info. I never claimed to be an expert on it just stating my experiances with it. It sounds like you definitaly know what you are talking about. In my bike it does make more power than U4 with the comparisons I have done. Thanks again

Im not trying to come off like a jerk but what I have to show for this shows different from what you claim, and for sure less gain then you claim. Id like to see a dyno. What kind of dyno do you use? I have seen some of your other posts about a turbo setup. Good luck with it. Its a PITA. And although you may know some things that others dont about motors, like I said before E85 is not for the average Joe.

R3Concepts
06-28-2006, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by stumpleg
This fuel will eat away at your seals and rubber hoses. A friend of mine worked at a Chevy dealership, and said they had to put new fuel pumps and hoses on trucks because they thought they could run this fuel. Your vehicle or ATV has to be compatible to run this, but it you want to replace things concerning your fuel system, by all means go right ahead and run this fuel, but it would be wise not to.

Purging at the end of the ride will solve this problem. Your analysis is somewhat incorrect. The TRX has no sensors to burn up, which is what E85 does to a vehicle that is not a Flex Fuel vehicle. So with that said, its 100% safe to run in a TRX. Not to mention it burns cleaner then race gas or pump gas.

R3Concepts
06-28-2006, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Its the few people like you R3 that make this site worth while, you actually can post something useful and informational at the same time, instead of saying wow this pipe I put on gave me 20 horse, but I have no dyno sheet, or pictures of it. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info.

Thanks for that, we appreciate it.:D

GPracer2500
06-28-2006, 05:20 PM
Does all this mean that the 10% or 15% of ethenol added to my pump fuel during certain times of year might actually make a teensy-weensy bit more HP than the regualar non-ethenol fuel. At least theoretically? Does MTBE, being an oxygenate, do the same thing?

ETA: I've always wondered how EPA oxygenated pump fuel compares to non-oxygenated pump fuels.

R3Concepts
06-28-2006, 05:22 PM
Does all this mean that the 10% or 15% of ethenol added to my pump fuel during certain times of year might actually make a teensy-weensy bit more HP than the regualar non-ethenol fuel. At least theoretically? Does MTBE, being an oxygenate, do the same thing?

Correct. Un-noticable but correct.

juiced450r
06-28-2006, 10:09 PM
I haven't seen one dynoed just other guys around have claimed 4-5 hp. I will be taking mine to the dyno in a few weeks. probably without a turbo, just nitrous:( The guy that does my dyno work has a dynomite dynometer.

R3Concepts
06-28-2006, 10:27 PM
I haven't seen one dynoed just other guys around have claimed 4-5 hp. I will be taking mine to the dyno in a few weeks. probably without a turbo, just nitrous:( The guy that does my dyno work has a dynomite dynometer.

Well theres your claims put to rest above.

What Turbo setup are you trying to run? Have fun trying to do a blow thru with an FCR. Let us know if you want help with the turbo setup.

400 SS EX
06-28-2006, 10:44 PM
Personally I run straight Absolute vodka when I go recreational riding. And for races I run EVERCLEAR ( 95%, will get you flat out f***ed ^up ) Then afterwards we all drain the carbs into cups and sit around a fire.-----haha

TampaBoy813
06-29-2006, 08:38 AM
Technically speaking, converting a vehicle that was designed to operate on unleaded gasoline only to operate on another form of fuel is a violation of the federal law and the offender may be subject to significant penalties.

organiz3d_chaos
06-29-2006, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by 400 SS EX
Personally I run straight Absolute vodka when I go recreational riding. And for races I run EVERCLEAR ( 95%, will get you flat out f***ed ^up ) Then afterwards we all drain the carbs into cups and sit around a fire.-----haha

I know its a joke but, it would really take around 160-proof and vodka is only 80 proof, though everclear would work ;)

crazedape
06-29-2006, 12:06 PM
I have poured moonshine into a push mower and ran it for 10 mins and the spark plug melted to the head. Would this not happen to a bike since it is only designed to operate between certain tempuratures. I already hear over overheating problems with just gas in it. How could something that burns hotter not going to cause a problem. Just a thougtht.

R3Concepts
06-29-2006, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by TampaBoy813
Technically speaking, converting a vehicle that was designed to operate on unleaded gasoline only to operate on another form of fuel is a violation of the federal law and the offender may be subject to significant penalties.

True if has to pass emissions. E85 burns cleaner then pump gas.

Hell, Honda says not to modify any of there bikes, and your sig shows you are in clear violation.:D

FireMedic686R
06-29-2006, 05:21 PM
TampaBoy813
FlorDuh XC Rider

I am at a loss for words with this post.....:confused:

trost66
06-29-2006, 05:56 PM
I can't see how you would gain any power by using e85. It produce less energy than gas. When you burn it in your car you lose like 2 to 3 miles per gallon because you have to use more off it because of the power loss. I ran it in our yukon and it got like 10 miles to the gallon. Regular gas we get about 14 or 15. They said that e85 would have to be 60 cents per gallon cheaper than regular gas to brack even. It is a big rip off to burn in you car.

GPracer2500
06-29-2006, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by trost66
I can't see how you would gain any power by using e85. It produce less energy than gas. When you burn it in your car you lose like 2 to 3 miles per gallon because you have to use more off it because of the power loss. I ran it in our yukon and it got like 10 miles to the gallon. Regular gas we get about 14 or 15. They said that e85 would have to be 60 cents per gallon cheaper than regular gas to brack even. It is a big rip off to burn in you car.

Nitromethane contains less energy than gasoline too. But it's still the fuel of choice for "no-holds-barred" engines (think top-fuel) because it only needs a fraction of the oxygen that gasoline needs to burn. So, you can burn serveral times more nitromethane per unit of air than gasoline. That more than makes up for it's lower energy content.

My point is that the energy contained in the fuel isn't important when you can burn more of it per stroke compared to a higher energy fuel.

R3Concepts
06-29-2006, 08:05 PM
Nitromethane contains less energy than gasoline too. But it's still the fuel of choice for "no-holds-barred" engines (think top-fuel) because it only needs a fraction of the oxygen that gasoline needs to burn. So, you can burn serveral times more nitromethane per unit of air than gasoline. That more than makes up for it's lower energy content.

My point is that the energy contained in the fuel isn't important when you can burn more of it per stroke compared to a higher energy fuel.

Well said, except for on thing. NitroMethane actually WILL burn without O2 present.

R3Concepts
06-29-2006, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by trost66

Correct. Its an alternative to gasoline. It burns cleaner but also burns more of it.

In AZ its 2.15 a gallon, while regular unleaded is 2.69-2.89, so theres the capacity used vs the price right there.

trost66
06-29-2006, 09:05 PM
Here in IL e85 is only about 15 to 20 cents cheaper per gallon. Not worth useing. You would lose money if you used it in your car.

honracer123
06-30-2006, 11:07 AM
So would it be ok to run e-85 in a 400ex?

Fred55
06-30-2006, 10:46 PM
E85 would be a lot more efficent if that cars using it had compression ratios high enough to take advantage of the high octane....unfornantly to be able to run gas also they cant.

eagertorace
07-02-2006, 10:17 PM
R3, I have an 06 450r with mods in my sig.
Could you tell me what all I need to do on my
carb to get setup on meth?
Can I use my hrc needle, if so what clip?
and anymore info that I might need
thanks

R3Concepts
07-02-2006, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by eagertorace
R3, I have an 06 450r with mods in my sig.
Could you tell me what all I need to do on my
carb to get setup on meth?
Can I use my hrc needle, if so what clip?
and anymore info that I might need
thanks

I will gladly help you, but arent you on the ORG site, and told us that we didnt know what we were doing with Alky?

Anyway, water under the bridge, you need an Alky needle, the FCR comes with the big seat. You need a 200-205 main, 55ish pilot, 90 slow jet, you need to plug the leak jet at the bottom of the bowl with a set screw. This should get you close. But I would need to know your elevation to get it closer.

buck naked-r
07-03-2006, 01:50 AM
okay i read that mr-8 & mr-9 are the two highest hp making fuel

how does e-85 compare to them?

trick250r
07-03-2006, 08:16 AM
so pros and cons.

pros: better ignition time

cons: it will eat the **** out of your engine

id take the safe way out and have a good clean engine ;)

eagertorace
07-03-2006, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by R3Concepts
I will gladly help you, but arent you on the ORG site, and told us that we didnt know what we were doing with Alky?

Anyway, water under the bridge, you need an Alky needle, the FCR comes with the big seat. You need a 200-205 main, 55ish pilot, 90 slow jet, you need to plug the leak jet at the bottom of the bowl with a set screw. This should get you close. But I would need to know your elevation to get it closer.

Yeah, water under the bridge.
I drilled my pilot and main out and it seems to run real strong,
raised my needle all the way up. but, I have to choke it every time I go to start it. I'm in Ky and not for sure on elevation?
Can I use my hrc needle or where can I get the alky needle?
Like I said, it seems to run real strong the way it is but could it be better with your setup?
thanks alot

eagertorace
07-03-2006, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by eagertorace
Yeah, water under the bridge.
I drilled my pilot and main out and it seems to run real strong,
raised my needle all the way up. but, I have to choke it every time I go to start it. I'm in Ky and not for sure on elevation?
Can I use my hrc needle or where can I get the alky needle?
Like I said, it seems to run real strong the way it is but could it be better with your setup?
thanks alot

I drilled the pilot to .055
the main to .123
needle on bottom clip
started at .068 on pilot but it wouldn't take it
I can get the jets local but not sure on the alky needle?
thanks again

R3Concepts
07-03-2006, 08:11 PM
Leave the pilot where its at.

You need to run the Alky needle. Sudco sells them for the FCRs.

Whats the elevation where you are at?

eagertorace
07-03-2006, 08:59 PM
below 3000ft. don't know exactly.
why do I have to choke it to start it every time?

Dave400ex
07-03-2006, 09:59 PM
Juiced450r

Where is this dyno at you go to? I want to find one in Indiana.

red_rider_069
06-03-2008, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by 450robot
i'll admit to not knowing the octane rating

but i still stand on my other points lol funnny.. its said that it keeps your engine running cooler and smoother.. and no one has yet reported having a problem on running e-85.. dont be affraind of change.. it happends through out your life.. jsut accept it :D