PDA

View Full Version : Looking to get back into riding....

CNC_guy
06-27-2006, 12:06 PM
It's been 10+ years since I've owned a quad so I'm a bit out of the loop on the current ATVs. The last quad I had was a 500 Quadracer but the best quad I ever owned was a Honda 250R.

I'd like to get back into things on something similiar to the 250R that I had but I want to go with something new rather than something used. This quad would be mostly used for trail riding and the occasional trip to the track....not a real race...just some old guys renting the track for the day.

I guess I'm just wondering what the pros and cons are of the 450R. I think I'd be interested in the kick start model also...is that a mistake?

yamaha91
06-27-2006, 12:35 PM
i love my kick start. if you want to get the best deal on a 05 kick start, brand new from www.procycleusa.com for like $4,600.

tltcracing
06-27-2006, 01:31 PM
the pros are: its fast, powerful, light, reliable, easy to ride, plenty of upgrades, and easy to work on. the cons.... well i havent found one. you might ont to make it wider and get the shocks re valved but other than that this quad is awsome. oh and pick up a set nerfs. i personally have elka LT w/ houser all the way around but revalved stocks are awsome too. mines a kicker and i have never thought of geting an electric. properly set up the kick will start up in less than five kicks.

CNC_guy
07-03-2006, 05:38 AM
Well I'm back in the saddle again. I found a new '05 450R for under $5,000 out the door with a new helmet thrown in.

My how things have changed in 10yrs. I can't get over how nimble and light this thing is and just how quick a four stroke is now. I'm a very happy man.:D

emaxxjeremy
07-03-2006, 06:14 AM
[i]My how things have changed in 10yrs. I can't get over how nimble and light this thing is and just how quick a four stroke is now. I'm a very happy man.:D [/B]

get the shocks revalved and once again you will be impressed at how it really handles

MMcCannon
07-03-2006, 10:00 AM
Glad to see ur happy, throw a pipe on it, pitch the lid, and jet it and you'll be even happier. :p

CNC_guy
07-06-2006, 01:20 PM
Ehhh....I'm just going to ride the thing first. The only mods I have planned at the moment are some custom machined parts.

What do I need to watch out for? What's going to break first?

slvrlakerdr08
07-06-2006, 05:53 PM
well depending on how hard you ride the subframe is what you will need to look at, my buddie has had alot of trouble with that but we welded a brace in it and nothing has happend since but the swing arm tends to crack, he cracked his. other than that nothing is gonna really break unless you beat it hard.

exrider44
07-06-2006, 06:48 PM
Make sure you watch the bolts on the heat shield. They tend to come loose. I also lost my bolt that holds on my kicker. Other then that I would defintely get the rear linkage from gt thunder and get the rear shock revavled. It helped alot especially thru rough sections with alot of whoops. The back end stays planted alot better. Welcome back!:D

MMcCannon
07-08-2006, 11:04 AM
Make sure you don't blurp the throttle when kicking it over...bad things happen. This is what my side case looks like.

pro-rider6977
07-09-2006, 01:21 PM
i know this is off topic but i dont know what to get a 450r or 450er

wvspeedfreak
07-09-2006, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by pro-rider6977
i know this is off topic but i dont know what to get a 450r or 450er

Which would you rather use,your right leg or your left thumb :p it is all personal preference.You really can't go wrong with either.

4ABURN
07-09-2006, 07:41 PM
I love my er for the woods 85% of riding. No Problems at all. If all I did was race I would get the kick. Just my 2 cents.:D

blakefoote
07-10-2006, 10:03 AM
yah...from what you stated up there I would try to get a TRX450R kick start...prob. a 06 or th new 07

mattonln
07-11-2006, 01:50 PM
they are beautiful machines! and like he said, don't blurp the throttle when starting! if it doesn't crack the case, it will break your leg! just do frequent oil changes and you will have no problems at all. I've had mine for 2 years and have done nothing but oil changes and it runs perfect!

CNC_guy
07-31-2006, 11:27 AM
Well....I finally got to take the new 450R out in the woods. We had a group of 16 that was about equally divided between sport quads and utility quads so naturally we had a fast group and a slower group.

Overall, I really really like this quad. It's taking me a little time to get used to 4-stroke power as opposed to the old 2-strokes I used to ride but it's not noticeable as far as my speed goes. The only thing I'm going to change in the immediate future is the gearing. Dang, that thing is high geared. We had several rough and rocky hills that I needed to pick my way up so with the high gearing I really had to work the clutch. I figured the first thing I'd try is going down a tooth on the front sprocket.

I'm happy with the kick start also. By the middle of the day I was starting it while sitting down on the first kick. I think the only time I'll miss electric start is when I drown it out or something.

Anyways, look for a thread in the trailriders forum sometime this week for some pics from the weekend.