PDA

View Full Version : How can I take the gloss out of plastics?

Iliketogofast
06-27-2006, 10:36 AM
I want to get a set of black and take the gloss out to give it a satin, semi-gloss appearance. How can I do it without putting scratches in the plastic?

Mxjunkie
06-27-2006, 11:02 AM
2000grit sand paper.. (wet sanding) flow in the same direction no circular motions

Trevor
06-27-2006, 11:10 AM
You could likely spray something like royal purpole on them or someother type of acidic cleaner that might take the shine off them!

Iliketogofast
06-27-2006, 11:17 AM
Okay, so do you think I can get a smooth look with a still glossy but scratched up set on a Raptor? I'm thinking about using my buddie's Rappy as a guinea pig for the project :D He really likes the semi-gloss looks of the new Kawi crotch rockets, so I think he'll like it if it turns out.

Oh, and I think royal purple would give it a hazed look like I poured superglue on it. That's what laquer thinner does to plastic anyways. Besides, I'm looking for a halfway glossed look, like when you wash it and it sits in the cold, and all the water forms a sort of film. It makes it look like there's a sheet of satin fabric over the plastic.... Really sexy.

Bighead1
06-28-2006, 01:48 PM
I messed up and used a scotch brite pad on my fenders(the green side) and I think it gave my fenders the look you're going for, with out the scratches.

bandicot
07-01-2006, 04:12 PM
After sanding it if its to flat for you you can use a satin or matte finish clearcoat and jsut use a light coat to avoid build up

400exrida06
07-08-2006, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Iliketogofast
Okay, so do you think I can get a smooth look with a still glossy but scratched up set on a Raptor? I'm thinking about using my buddie's Rappy as a guinea pig for the project :D He really likes the semi-gloss looks of the new Kawi crotch rockets, so I think he'll like it if it turns out.

Oh, and I think royal purple would give it a hazed look like I poured superglue on it. That's what laquer thinner does to plastic anyways. Besides, I'm looking for a halfway glossed look, like when you wash it and it sits in the cold, and all the water forms a sort of film. It makes it look like there's a sheet of satin fabric over the plastic.... Really sexy.

Lmao man that was funny, but i get what your sayen it would look really sweet.