PDA

View Full Version : Honda Oem Bolt Grade/strength

Chino886
06-27-2006, 07:56 AM
Does any one know what "Grade", or strength the OEM shock mount bolts are from Honda? :confused:

TBD
06-27-2006, 08:22 AM
10.9 is the same as grade 5 and 12.9 is the same as grade 8. Of course it probably isn't the exact same but is very close. Most of the bolts used are grade 10.9. If I remember correctly the shock bolts are 10.9. If you are having trouble with bending shock bolts you might want to make sure you are not bottoming to harshlly. Going to a higher grade bolt is not always the answer.

Chino886
06-27-2006, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by TBD
10.9 is the same as grade 5 and 12.9 is the same as grade 8. Of course it probably isn't the exact same but is very close. Most of the bolts used are grade 10.9.

I am guessing Grade 8 is stonger?

TBD
06-27-2006, 08:27 AM
Yes, grade 8 is stronger but if you are bending shock bolts because you are bottoming to hard the grade 8 probably won't bend but will break instead. Like I said it's not always better to go with a higher grade bolt if you have other issues.

Chino886
06-27-2006, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by TBD
Yes, grade 8 is stronger but if you are bending shock bolts because you are bottoming to hard the grade 8 probably won't bend but will break instead. Like I said it's not always better to go with a higher grade bolt if you have other issues.

No, I did not break it, I just misplaced one and was trying to find a replacement at the local hardware store. ;)

TBD
06-27-2006, 08:32 AM
Cool. Make sure that you get a shouldered bolt similar to the original. Stay away from bolts that are threaded all the way.

Chino886
06-27-2006, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by TBD
Cool. Make sure that you get a shouldered bolt similar to the original. Stay away from bolts that are threaded all the way.

Yep, I found some that were threaded completely at one hardware store. I decided to wait till I checked another store out and they had the "shouldered" bolts....

Thanks for the info!

deathman53
06-29-2006, 01:18 PM
stock honda bolts bend instead of break, I would much rather have a bent bolt than a broke one. I use alot of grade 8 bolts and for suspenion bolts I one uses that are a similar to stock strength. Motors get grade 8 bolts or stock bolts. Most replacement bolts I use are grade 8, BUT suspension bolts, they get stock or similar stock strength bolts.
On my bikes, I've bent suspenion bolts and the bolts for 250r linkeges, A bent bolt is far better than a broken bolt when suspenion is the issue.