PDA

View Full Version : 06 yfz vs 05 450r

rancher350rider
06-26-2006, 11:05 PM
hey i just got my 05 450r its all stock except it has 22" rear tires i dont think it has gearing but ill check in the morning now my friend has a 06 yfz and his is all stock in a drag race he will beat me even if i beat him of the line he will stilll creep up on me and pass me
why is this ? im a ok rider but we even switched bikes and i beat him when i was on his yfz
also his yfz wheelies alot more then my 450r dose can any one explain what is wrong here ?
also what can i do to beat him in a drag race ?
thanks

mickey400ex
06-27-2006, 12:12 AM
i can tell u whats wrong, the yfz 450 is a faster bike, ive saw a stock one take down a pipe and filtered 450r when the guy on the honda was also a better rider

JW450R1
06-27-2006, 06:03 AM
yammi is somewhat faster than the honda.i've heard that the new 06 is faster and can be built up better than the yammi

d3ktrix
06-27-2006, 06:57 AM
Get an HRC kit or a HC2 and you will take him =)

Tho you are comparing an 05 honda to an 06 yamaha, the 06 hondas are a lot faster then the 05's.

motox450
06-27-2006, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by d3ktrix
Get an HRC kit or a HC2 and you will take him =)

Tho you are comparing an 05 honda to an 06 yamaha, the 06 hondas are a lot faster then the 05's.

I wouldn't say they are a lot faster. I have an 05 TRX with a cam and a Dr D slip on. and a FCR carb and I pull the holeshot on 04-06 trx's 04-06 YFZ's and 06 LTR's It's more to do with rider than quad, but my 05 runs well enough to get me the holeshot at ever race I have been to this year.

juiced450r
06-27-2006, 04:12 PM
My 05 with an 11.5:1 piston, HRC cam, HMF full exhaust, and a 41mm FCR has outran numerous 06's with the same mods(except for the piston). I usually pull between 1 1/2 to 2 bikes on them by top speed. The same result switching riders. Mine made 52.5 hp on the dyno. The 06 runs good but not as good as my 05. I can put 3-4 bikes on an 06 YFZ with cam retard, full exhaust, and filter.

quadwunner
06-27-2006, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by juiced450r
My 05 with an 11.5:1 piston,
ur signature says that you have a 12:5:1

juiced450r
06-27-2006, 05:19 PM
Yeah that is what the shop was supposed to order but come to find out it is an 11.5:1. I picked the quad up and never thought anything, then a week later I looked at the box the piston came from and it said 11.5:1. They refunded me the money for the piston and I got to keep it. I haven't changed my signature.

rancher350rider
06-27-2006, 05:37 PM
what type of cam should i get ? i do all type of riding (drag racing,trails,mx,lil bit of sand ) im thinking about geting a Rossier full exhuast for it

also just got 20" tires will they make it pull on a wheelie more ?
thanks

juiced450r
06-27-2006, 05:42 PM
I love my HRC cam. It makes wicked power on top end and is great in the woods. A buddy of mine has the big sparks cam and a 13.5:1 and mine will walk all over it. He installed it himself though.

quadwunner
06-27-2006, 06:36 PM
Yeah that is what the shop was supposed to order but come to find out it is an 11.5:1. I picked the quad up and never thought anything, then a week later I looked at the box the piston came from and it said 11.5:1. They refunded me the money for the piston and I got to keep it. I haven't changed my signature.
that sounds like a hell of a deal! I was tryin to help you btw.

motox450
06-27-2006, 06:50 PM
Also the hot cams stage 2 has almost the same specs as the HRC with a lot lower quality. The guy that put mine together will not install hot cams because of quality.

I don't know who the guy is that installs your cams but he needs to do some more research before he makes statements like that. Hotcams are a great cam with very little problems. If you talk to most reputable engine builders they will say the same thing. In fact call Eric Gorr at Forward Motion. I believe he is now working with Pro Source. The only cams he puts in all his engine builds are hotcams, and Eric is one of the most knowlegeable engine builders around. In fact he has a book out (Motocross & Offroad Handbook) I had a hotcam in my 02 CRF and never had an issue with it and have one in my trx now and it runs like a top.

juiced450r
06-27-2006, 06:56 PM
That is just what I was told by him. Maybe he is an idiot I don't know. Mine runs better than anyones around for what is done to it. Sorry to bash them. Maybe they are good

d3ktrix
06-27-2006, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by rancher350rider
what type of cam should i get ? i do all type of riding (drag racing,trails,mx,lil bit of sand ) im thinking about geting a Rossier full exhuast for it

also just got 20" tires will they make it pull on a wheelie more ?
thanks

Hotcam S2 sounds perfect for you.
They also match up perfect with a Rossier exhaust I hear.

The HRC cam will give u more top end, but the HC2 has a better mid rang.

motox450
06-27-2006, 07:23 PM
That is just what I was told by him. Maybe he is an idiot I don't know. Mine runs better than anyones around for what is done to it. Sorry to bash them. Maybe they are good

I don't mean to jump all over you, but I have said this in posts before please have data to back up what you say(when posting something that can be argued) This is such a case. Hotcams have and are being used by thousands of customers and most have very good results. There are production tolerances and variances that sometimes are incorrect(this happens with all manufacturing processes) So am I going to say every cam hotcam, webcams, HRC, sparks, or other manufactures is perfect? No abosolutely not. There are always going to be cams with bad bearings, or that are not degree'd incorrectly. But this is true with all cam manufacturers. I would suggest the next time you are told a statment as (hotcams are lesser quality) ask WHY. This will help clarify issues involved. I am not saying your builer is not entitled to his opinion, but before you pass judgment ask around and get some facts. I am in no way associated with Hotcams either in case you were wondering. I have just had great experiances with what I have used, and feel for someone to say they are of lower quality without stating what kind of lower quality bothers me. Anyway back to the subject at hand. Rancher if you go to http://www.trx450r.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=1659 this section gives some cams and what they have been found to do power wise. Hope this helps.

CHEVYZ
06-27-2006, 08:18 PM
You are comparing a 05 450r with an 06 YFZ. There is a huge difference between the years... especially with the 450r. The 06 450r is much faster than the 05. And for those who want to tell me different... STFU. I have ridden.. and above all else OWN both and this is from experience. If you want to keep up with or beat the YFZ, you need to drop down on tire size(Or drop your gearing), and you are gonna need at least a pipe and a good rider. You may even need more work depending on how badly he is taking you. Only one way to tell.:devil:

As for the Hotcams statement... I don't like them either. I have run and installed a few different cams, and of them all, Hotcams is my least favorite. Hey, can't complain though..... you get what you pay for (IMO).

motox450
06-27-2006, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by CHEVYZ
You are comparing a 05 450r with an 06 YFZ. There is a huge difference between the years... especially with the 450r. The 06 450r is much faster than the 05. And for those who want to tell me different... STFU. I have ridden.. and above all else OWN both and this is from experience. If you want to keep up with or beat the YFZ, you need to drop down on tire size(Or drop your gearing), and you are gonna need at least a pipe and a good rider. You may even need more work depending on how badly he is taking you. Only one way to tell.:devil:

As for the Hotcams statement... I don't like them either. I have run and installed a few different cams, and of them all, Hotcams is my least favorite. Hey, can't complain though..... you get what you pay for (IMO).

First off who are you to tell me to STFU!!!!!!!! I have an 05 with listed mods and have beat all types of quads every moto I have raced this year. 05,06 doesn't matter to me. So before you tell me to STFU get your crap straight. Stock for stock the 06 is faster than the 05, and the 06 is cheaper to get more power from. But once build and 05 can and will outrun an 06! So next time you want to tell me to STFU bring your 06 to any track I ride at and we will find out.

juiced450r
06-27-2006, 08:37 PM
Yeah if you call sparks or Baldwin they will tell you that equally built the 06 is ever and they emphasize EVER so slightly faster than the 05. Call them tomorrow. It does take a little more cash to make the 05 run though.

CHEVYZ
06-27-2006, 08:49 PM
Get your facts striaght. I never told you to STFU.. but anyone to tell me different. Obviously you know more than me. Have you owned both? Judging by your post, I doubt it. If you like your bike, good for you. I am here to tell everyone that the 06 is a faster bike... anyone who pleases can write bull****, I have the facts. ;)

juiced450r
06-27-2006, 08:55 PM
Get your facts striaght. I never told you to STFU.. but anyone to tell me different. Obviously you know more than me. Have you owned both? Judging by your post, I doubt it. If you like your bike, good for you. I am here to tell everyone that the 06 is a faster bike... anyone who pleases can write bull****, I have the facts. ;)

Where are the dyno sheets pal. That would be the facts!!! Did you pretend to race yourself on each bike. The 06 feels faster due to its close ratio tranny and 13 tooth sprocket, but put them side by side and they are right there with each other. But what do I know, my buddy has an 06 hrc'ed 450r with the same mods as my 05 except I have a little less compression. The same person built both of them, and my 05 is a bike and a half faster to top speed. The 06 then goes around me at rev limiter. We test and tune every weekend together, but what do I know.

motox450
06-27-2006, 09:00 PM

No I do not own both, I have in fact had extensive time on a friends modified 06, as well as an 05 YFZthat is at my house full time and an 04 Polaris Predator that is at my house full time. and you did tell me to STFU with this "The 06 450r is much faster than the 05. And for those who want to tell me different... STFU. I have ridden.. and above all else OWN both and this is from experience." As I said previously stock for stock the 06 is faster than the 05, but once built they are very very close. And if I know more than you well thats not my fault. I know the facts just as well. I have been riding and racing for the last 18 years so I am fairly qualified as to what is comparable, faster, slower, suspension setting, engine mods, etc. You are not dealing with some ignorant teenager. I do have experiance and know exactly what I am talking about. SO GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT!!!!

250r4life
06-27-2006, 09:27 PM

cheyyz is dead on...
1st- the 04 and 05 yfzs are faster than the 04-05 trxs...
2nd- the 06 yfzs are faster than the 06 trxs
3- the 06 yfzs are faster than the 04-05 yfzs
4- the 06 trxs are faster than the 04-05 trxs...

those are the facts... and yes i do have extensive time on them as well..

motox450
06-27-2006, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by 250r4life
cheyyz is dead on...
1st- the 04 and 05 yfzs are faster than the 04-05 trxs...
2nd- the 06 yfzs are faster than the 06 trxs
3- the 06 yfzs are faster than the 04-05 yfzs
4- the 06 trxs are faster than the 04-05 trxs...

those are the facts... and yes i do have extensive time on them as well..

Where is the fact in this? are we talking 1/8 mile time, trail times, woods times, define faster??? This is getting out of control there are no facts here this is based soley on opinion. What is faster is more determined by rider size, weight, and ability, moreso than shear horsepower. So where are your FACTS! There are guys out there with 250r's and 400 ex's that beat guys on modded 450's all the time does that qualify there quads as faster! There needs to be a set parameter to determine what is faster. Are we all basing out statments on the same thing? Modded quads, stock quads, what is the basis of our statements. If you go stock for stock the as I have said many times on this post 06 is faster than 04-05 in a holeshot or dragrace senario. Once a modded 04-05(cam, pipe, higher comp. piston perfable 11.75-12.1 to make it similar comp as 06), vs 06 with cam, pipe, already has higher comp piston) they are very very close. The YFZ make 1-2 more hp that the trx. There is a dyno of this 05 trx-05 YFZ on www.gtthunder.com This is as acurate of a reading your going to get. The 06 YFZ (stock)is very very close to the 06 trx in a drag race. It is all going to come down to rider. On the track its going to be more rider than quad

motox450
06-27-2006, 09:58 PM
Here is the actual link for the dyno graph http://www.gtthunder.com/trxDynoHp.html

250r4life
06-28-2006, 11:31 PM
dude... i know its all about rider... i have beaten piped 450rs on a raptor 660 that just had the baffle removed...

i am talking about bikes vs bikes... i am not talking about one rider on one bike vs another rider on another bike...

so like i said, my facts remain facts... from lots and lots of experience... what you have said only confirms what i have said...

john.E.business
06-29-2006, 02:30 PM
i was under the impression that the 06 trx's where faster top end then the yfzs? and they had an xtra hp or two? as for for 05 trx vs 06 i have an 05 with full system yosh k&n and dyno jet and when i got on a guys 06 i could feel his was abit more wiry then mine but i think mine had abit more grunt but i would imagine his was a little quicker due to his higher compression piston that the 06s have?

450rJam
06-29-2006, 03:49 PM
my 06 has not been beat by a yfz yet, all i have is the hrc and k&n filter.
I have lost to other 450r's and to a banshee.
the 06 yfz's are respectable but no the quickest 450 for 06

CHEVYZ
06-29-2006, 06:56 PM
Well, back to my take. Nah, I don't have dyno sheets... I could get some if I please at any time, but when did horsepower become a matter of this, anyway. I agree, highly modified they will be very close... in fact, money is the only issue to how fast you want to go. As long as they are still in a more "Stock" trim, the 06 is far superior. And actually, after riding both, the 06 is so much smoother, (And) with the slower throttle response, it FEELS slower in a generally stock trim. This has been a sport for me my entire life.... and my family is included (Yeah, I have alot of seat time as well). I race family and (Close) friends on my bikes, and despite the rider, the 06 is almost always the one in the front. I do all of my own mods, and I am no ignorant noobie myself. I am actually a mechanic myself.

If you are here to argue, I am not for it. I have nothing to prove to anyone... if you do not believe me or feel differently... your problem. You are free to express yourself as I am... but like I said, if you want to tell ME that I am wrong, you can shut up. I can pull out my bikes any time I want to go back and test it.... over, and over again.;)

juiced450r
06-29-2006, 08:57 PM
I am not trying to argue, just stating what I have done and tested. I posted this a long time ago. My buddy bought an 06 the same week my other friend bought an 05. Both were brand new. The 05 would beat the 06 by a bike in stock trim, even switching riders!!
With the baffle out and rejetted and airbox lid off it would still be a bike. Now my buddy with the 06 has a full pipe, pro design air filter, HRC cam, head porting and E-85 and my 05 has the same things except I have an FCR 41mm and an 11.5:1(lower thaan the 06 compression). Both bikes were put together by the same engine builder. I put 1 1/2 to 2 bikes on him every time even switching riders. If I have to post a video I will to prove this to you. The 06 feels faster but put them side by side and it is the 05 that is faster.:confused:

motox450
06-29-2006, 09:23 PM
I think something else here that noone is touching on. Not all bikes perform exactly the same. There are different variances in the manufacturing processes that make small differences. It is possible to have an 05 that runs better than an 06. It is possible that there are 06's that run better than 05's. I know for fact that my 05 is faster than just about all other years and brands of quads down the first straight, and beats my brothers yfz with a pipe filter kit, and jetting. Plus every other quad I have raced to the first turn this year. But I do have mods to mine as well. I am not going to shut up for anyone, and last time I checked I don't have to. I know my ability, I know my work, I do my own motor work as well. It has been said that "As long as they are still in a more "Stock" trim, the 06 is far superior." From all of the information I can find the 06 only makes 1-2 more HP than the 05, the fcr carb increases throttle response. I don't add those up to being far superior. Better yes, improved yes, far superior no. Plus from riding my friends 06 it isn't superior to my quad. Far superior is a term of opinion not fact, Now John Natalie's trx engine is far superior to a stock engine, and that is a fact.

450rJam
06-30-2006, 05:06 AM
maybe the 05 is a freak (I had an old 350 chevy that was a freak)
it just pulled harder than other motors I had in my car.
or maybe the 06 is a terd (maybe it was put together on a friday before a holiday) lol
overall the 06's where quicker.
not just because of the hp, they are geared better and you know the other details.

jb500ex
06-30-2006, 07:27 AM
their is no question the 06's are faster then the 04 or 05's

ChrisSekerak
06-30-2006, 07:51 AM
You all are crazy!! The 04-05 450rs are not even close to as fast as my 06.

Save yourself the trouble, buy the 06.

angry450r
06-30-2006, 09:33 AM
well nobody answered his one question about doing wheelies. if you cant do a wheel better than your buddy on the yfz ....its all rider there bud . the 450's are awesome wheelie machine especially compared to the yfz there motor is lower and more towards the front the 450r ,well whe all no is set just a bit to far back but thats fine with me cause mine halls arse and wheelies in 4th just my .02

rancher350rider
06-30-2006, 10:24 AM
yea i think the wheelie thing is me cuz im scaerd to go to far back cuz it has no grab bar yet but im buying one
also my gearing is
13/41 :confused: (thats what i bought it with )

angry450r
06-30-2006, 11:01 AM
it has no grab bar? or just the stock one? mine is the stock one no probs even slid of it a few times if you practicing say in 2nd gear which is perfect to learn on if you go to far back on flat ground Ive just slid off and my quad rolled to a stop standing on the grab bar more than once never bent it either dont bother trying 1st gear its to violent and 3rd you really gotta be moving 2nd gear is great for some 100 + footers

440ex kid
06-30-2006, 02:24 PM
The 06s that i have had expirience with are faster then my 04. I think everyone needs to get off the 06 is god stuff though. I have dragged some in the dunes, street and dirt, and have yet to get beat by more then a bike length. Stock for stock there may more difference, but its not worth the argument.

It all comes down to prefernce in my opinion. Some people on here swear the 06 is a billion bike lengths ahead of an 04 or 05. I have yet to be impressed by an 06, and the 450er's starting problems Ive seen, Ill be sticking with my 04 for awhile.

juiced450r
06-30-2006, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by ChrisSekerak
You all are crazy!! The 04-05 450rs are not even close to as fast as my 06.

Save yourself the trouble, buy the 06.

That coming from an owner of an 06. :rolleyes: I guess I am going to have to post a video of an 05 with the same mods as an 06 spanking it. I would not be arguing this if it wasn't true!!!:grr:

CHEVYZ
06-30-2006, 06:38 PM
I like the post that introduced that fact that all bikes run differently. If I came on as an a s shole, I apologize. This has been a really tough week at home. All bikes DO run differently depending on many matters. Everyone seems to have different experiences and opinions on the matter..... I am no idiot to the fact that all will run and perform differently. I can post videos, and so can anyone else.... doesn't really prove anything.:ermm:

ChrisSekerak
06-30-2006, 10:37 PM
440Ex kid....bring that thing up the road one time, i'm gonna show you 1 bike length :D

I'd love to see the video of the 05 vs. an06 with the same mods.....your crazy.

I do love my buddy's 04' with all of the suspension.....I would like to set mine up similar.

4ABURN
07-01-2006, 07:11 AM
HEY HEY HEY you guys your bashing other hondas.!!!!what are you doing.we are suppose to bash guys that drive the other quads. There are just to many facters here ( experiance, weight,gearing,tires,mods,and more) to make this call. I love my 06 but to say it is way faster than an 05 no I don't think so.:D

440ex kid
07-01-2006, 10:05 AM
440Ex kid....bring that thing up the road one time, i'm gonna show you 1 bike length

Haha anytime

I'd love to see the video of the 05 vs. an06 with the same mod

I would also like to see this video

ChrisSekerak
07-01-2006, 10:11 PM
Hey lets plan on PA this saturday. We'll leave at like 6 and get there at 8:30 to get you a pass....let me know what you think