PDA

View Full Version : Starter likes to crank more after 416 kit????

Honda4ooEX
08-15-2002, 01:48 PM
now that I have put in my 416 bore, Hotcam stage 2, and 11:1 piston, it seems like my motor cranks more before it starts. On my stock motor it would fire RIGHT up no dely. It still starts right up but it seems like it cranks one complete crank before it starts now? Is this normal after the 416 kit? My friend is a mechanic and he said that when the starter starts to turn over and over, or starts to lag your motor needs to be re-built because it is loosing compresion. My piston and rings are new so I don't see how it could be loosing compression. It runs great too, alot faster and pulls harder. Is this common with the high compression piston? Thanks

worm
08-15-2002, 02:36 PM
you did bore it? maybe you need to go up a size on you pilot jet

08-15-2002, 02:41 PM
Are ya runnin a stock CDI box?????????????????????/

400exBro
08-15-2002, 05:43 PM
i have that problem right now on my stock 400 (stock bore and pistion cam etc..) it will crank over 2 let go of the startor and it will crank twice agian and start even with a 42 pilot it was worse with the 38, this is even in the summer when everything is warmer,

its is strange, but when you look at it at a defferent angle it is a 4 stroke, they are harder to strat than the 2 strokes even if the 400 has electric start, it is still a thumper which requires more effort by person or machine to get it start than those screamers
Bro

Honda4ooEX
08-16-2002, 12:59 PM
Yes I am running a stock CDI. I do not think this is a piolt jet problem however. I am running a 165 main and a 42 piolt jet. It just seems like it cranks more with the mods now. How does the CDI come into play? I have heard all bad about the White Brothers Rev CDI, that it just makes it harder to start even more, and its harder on the motor. Thanks

crashinmatt
08-16-2002, 01:36 PM
it could be ur cam. thats cuz its a more aggressive cam than stock. its just a thought cuz with the difference in cams it could be that it is a little harder to start. just my .02