PDA

View Full Version : ktm 525's

deathman53
06-26-2006, 07:06 PM
I'm thinking of getting a ktm 525 and making it street legal, what ktm would meet my needs? It needs to have lights, 3 or bigger gallon tank, wide ratio tranny.

yellowzo3
06-26-2006, 07:11 PM
i think some of the new ktm's that are coming out are already street legal. so if your planning on buying new you might as well wait and check the new models out.

deathman53
06-26-2006, 07:31 PM
yeah, but I don't like bikes that are already dual sport bikes. Most of them weight a ton and don't handle like a real dirtbike. I'm not looking for a street mainly bike, a bike with lights, plate, and can hold a 60-70 mph without real high revving. I want to be able to go out on the road and drive it to work and later on ride the dirt and ride on fireroads, trails, if I get lost a end up at a road, well, I'll take the road back to where I was parked. After I rode a xr650l and dr400(street legal), I don't want anything to do with their ungoddly heavy feel and weight. I like the light and responsive feel of a real dirtbike.
Most of what I do is trails, my xr250r that I made street legal has saved me and my friends a few times. Them busting my chops about the lights, blinkers, and license plate stopped when we were lost and getting low on gas and we came out on a road, I took off on the road and told them to stay there and I will return with my truck and a trailer. They stopped all the flack at that point.

GPracer2500
06-26-2006, 07:32 PM
Yep. Pretty sure a few of the 07' models that were peviously not street legal are going to be street legal (a la Husqvarna).

Sounds like maybe you've already checked it out, but I know some states make it nearly impossible to get a plate for an origninally non-street legal bike.

BTW, I love DSing. I ride my XR650R on the street (nearly) every day.

ETA: didn't see your last post were you already have an XR w/ a plate so nevermind about he legality part...

ny300exrider
06-26-2006, 07:55 PM
the 07 525 exc(the enduro/xc version) is going to be factory street legal. supposidly it will be just like the regular 525 without the hassle of getting it plated, same power and handling for the most part. i would definitly check that out. lately ive been really into dual sport bikes, and plan on getting one around 09 since im still young. i know damn well that i would be looking into a 525exc if i didnt plan on commuting to college. the commute would probably be a bit too harsh on the motocross/real dirtbike style motor.

deathman53
06-27-2006, 08:17 PM
I got a 06 450exc today, it makes more power stock than most even know how to use, the 525 is good for open area uses, a 525 is too much to handle in trail type sitautions. 6 dealers told me I would be alot happier with the 450, the 525 makes so much power that its really quite a handfull in areas alittle tight. I knowis the motor on my crf450r hybrid really kicks and the ktm motor makes more power. If desert and open area/ alot of dirt/paved road use is primary the 525 would be a better bike, but for me the 450 would have more power than I need.

GPracer2500
06-27-2006, 08:33 PM
Congrats. KTMs are sweet bikes. Pretty much top-shelf components all the way around!

400exrules
06-27-2006, 09:17 PM
my friend and his dad race enduros and harescrambles on ktm bikes. my friend has a ktm 125 and he's getting his 06 ktm 400 in august. his dad has a ktm 400, 525, and a 525 thats a dakar bike....its pimpin

trx400exxracer
06-27-2006, 09:23 PM
i actually heard if you are goin to get a ktm 4-stroke the 400exc was what you need to go with i heard it was better than the 450 and 525 in diff ways and mike Lafferty enduro champ and gncc pro races it

you can get more info at

ktmtalk.com

my dad has a 200exc 2-stroke and ktm's are deff well built bikes from the factory i love the hydraulic clutch:D