View Full Version : Rebuilt vs Aftermarket shocks

Phills450r
06-26-2006, 04:41 PM
If i get my 450r shocks rebuilt it will be alot cheaper then spending 1000$$ on aftermarket shocks but how big is the difference with stock shocks being fully rebuilt vs aftermarket shocks the reason why im asking is because money is kind of tight right now

hondardr4life
06-26-2006, 05:03 PM
Well, I have a PEP stock revalve rear shock, and i hate it compared to my true PEP fronts. Just wait and do it right the 1st time. You're better off just waiting till you have enough money, and then getting a good set of ZPS aftermarket shocks. Sure 1/2 the idiots out there will say rebuilding them is just as good, but do not listen to them.

rob-u/21
06-26-2006, 05:57 PM
Newer bikes such as the YFZ, TRX450r, and the LTR are actually comming out with pretty good suspension. You should be able to revalve your shocks, atleast your rear shocks. I know TCS has been doing really good things with stock suspension revalves.

quadwunner
06-26-2006, 07:01 PM
If money is tight then goin with the rebuilds would be a great idea! try derisiracing.com (i think thats the site) or gtthunder.com
both companies do great work and i know of a couple peopl with the derisi setup that love it! hpe this helps!

04TRX400EX
06-26-2006, 10:52 PM
I don't know about a 450R but I have a combination on my 400EX. I have real Elka fronts and a C&D Racing Elka-conversion on the stock rear. For the riding I do it works alright but the rear does not perform the way the fronts do. I have a buddy with a full Elka setup and his just feels different. The same buddy just got his shocks for his 450 revalved/rebuilt by C&D so I am curious to see what he thinks. If you do go the rebuild route, definitely talk to C&D - they do good work and will probably be cheaper.

hondardr4life
06-27-2006, 11:20 AM
Like I said, I'm kinda of in the same situation as you ^^. Revalves will definetly be a good improvement over stock, but why waste the money when you can save up some more and get a much better set up (PEP, TCS, Motowoz, Fox, Elka).

Lonestar_R
06-27-2006, 11:30 AM
Hondardr I have to disagree with you......I had my stock 450 shocks revalved by Santo Derisi and with the revalve and his rear link they feel as good as my old TCS's on my 250R.....and I spent 500 bucks.......I would of had almost 1000 in fronts alone if I would of gone aftermarket.....and then I still have a horrble stock rear......and a stock link that doesn't work.......Revalves are the best bang for the buck......everyone thinks that cause they spent more on a set of shocks they really got something......its all in the way they are set up.....

coryatver
06-27-2006, 12:02 PM
old TCS shocks were not that good they were just works with custom valving. I would just get aftermarket unless you are just a trail rider. I mean look around at people that are sponsered by the same company's that make these rebuilds. They don't even run them. Derisi himself runs elka shocks. So if you can set up stock rebuilds to work awesome than why isn't he himself running them? The aftermarket shocks are a lot better. I think that the rebuilds are a great improvement over stock but just save your money now and go all the way and get aftermarket you will probley want them later.

400exrider707
06-27-2006, 12:40 PM
on my 05 450R I have stock fronts with TCS triple rate kit done by C&D racing, and in the rear I have the GT Thunder revalve and link.... This setup rides night and day better than my 400ex ever did with full elkas all the way around!!!! NUFF SAID! I will never waste the money on aftermarket shocks again! I prefer this setup to my buddys Longtravel 450R with DC4 arms, and the Lonestar outlaw rearend.:eek2:

Lonestar_R
06-27-2006, 03:54 PM
Corey how do you know mine were that old........if you go and spend a pile of money on a set of shocks that are only compression adjustable what is the use......the stockers are at least compression and rebound adjustable......if I was a Pro Class rider I wouldn't be running stock revalves either even if they were good I never said they were the best...I think revalves are good for anyone up to an A class rider or even into A class......Look at a few racers on here using Stock Revalves......Colby from C&D is running revalves and he is an A class rider......I think if they didn't work he wouldn't run them.....I don't race and don't plan to but I ride very hard.....and there is a night and day difference in a revalve and the stock shock......

400grl
06-27-2006, 04:54 PM
I have a TCS rear rebuild on my YFZ and I love it - I woudn't buy a new rear shock even if I had the money - no need to......

pnut420
06-27-2006, 05:42 PM
Hey guys with the 400's and 250r's its not the same boat as a 450r or a yfz450, as mentioned they stock suspensions have gotten alot better, the 400ex didnt even have compression adjust on the front stock and the rear shock wasnt anything to brag about. Rebuilding a stock 250r or 400ex does not come out that great usually with a rebuild kit, although my brothers feel good.

400exrider707
06-27-2006, 06:35 PM
250s and 400s cant have their shocks rebuilt so obviously we're not talking about the. You can have the rears rebuilt on them however. On my EX I had elka rec fronts and an elka rebuilt rear, both elka items, and my C&D's are waaay better.

Phills450r
06-27-2006, 09:36 PM
im just gonna go with c&d because i can get it all done for less then 650 for all 3 which beats spending atleast 1500 for all 3 brand new and not be a 850 dollar difference to notice... so im just gonna go with their rebuild and +2 a-arms and lsr axle im not a pro rider but i have started racing alot so i dont need TOP of the line but i need something that is gonna help me out when i case something :) thanks for the opinions

pnut420
06-27-2006, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
250s and 400s cant have their shocks rebuilt so obviously we're not talking about the. You can have the rears rebuilt on them however. On my EX I had elka rec fronts and an elka rebuilt rear, both elka items, and my C&D's are waaay better.

Yeah I know, Im just saying ex's didnt even come with adjustable front shocks, and the rear werent great either(which is what they were talking about).

Pretty much any stock shock rebuild on a 450r or yfz should be better than most aftermarket ex's.

400exrider707
06-27-2006, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Phills450r
im just gonna go with c&d because i can get it all done for less then 650 for all 3 which beats spending atleast 1500 for all 3 brand new and not be a 850 dollar difference to notice... so im just gonna go with their rebuild and +2 a-arms and lsr axle im not a pro rider but i have started racing alot so i dont need TOP of the line but i need something that is gonna help me out when i case something :) thanks for the opinions

I would invest in a linkage too, because the C&D kit does not come with one. I would buy a link from say GT Thunder and have C&D revalve for the link.

Colby@C&DRacing
06-28-2006, 08:21 AM
Our setup doesn't come with a link because you don't need one. When properly setup and valved you don't need a linkage:)

JJs450r
06-28-2006, 08:49 AM
HOw long does it usually take c & d to rebuild front and back? we have a fall series around the corner and i wouldnt mind having them for this summer series either

hondardr4life
06-28-2006, 09:03 AM
Can they revalve stock shocks to be ZPS on the new 450's??? Because if so, then that would make it a lot better. My front shocks are true PEP quadrate ZPS, then my rear is a stock singlerate revalve. They told me that they could not make it ZPS, because I would most likely snap the shaft.

Colby@C&DRacing
06-28-2006, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by JJs450r
HOw long does it usually take c & d to rebuild front and back? we have a fall series around the corner and i wouldnt mind having them for this summer series either

We can turn them around in a couple of days. I just need to make sure we have all the parts in stock before your shocks arrive.

JJs450r
06-28-2006, 09:27 AM
it shouldnt be within the next 2 weeks but im pretty sure i will have c & d do the rebuild you have an exact price for the rebuild with shipping? so i know how much to get?

Colby@C&DRacing
06-28-2006, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by hondardr4life
Can they revalve stock shocks to be ZPS on the new 450's??? Because if so, then that would make it a lot better. My front shocks are true PEP quadrate ZPS, then my rear is a stock singlerate revalve. They told me that they could not make it ZPS, because I would most likely snap the shaft.

The conversion we do to the rear shock is a dual rate with lowered ride height (SSD, ZPS, sag control) it all means the same thing. We install a new better flowing valve body which gains us 1" more travel in the rear. this setup performs really well. As far as snapping the shaft I don't know why they would have told you that. This conversion in no way weakens the shaft or makes it more likely to break.

Colby@C&DRacing
06-28-2006, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by JJs450r
it shouldnt be within the next 2 weeks but im pretty sure i will have c & d do the rebuild you have an exact price for the rebuild with shipping? so i know how much to get?

A full rebuild front and rear is $615 the rear by itself is $380

JJs450r
06-28-2006, 09:34 AM
Alright cool ill keep in touch and let you knowwhen im ready to send off

400exrider707
06-28-2006, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Colby@C&DRacing
The conversion we do to the rear shock is a dual rate with lowered ride height (SSD, ZPS, sag control) it all means the same thing. We install a new better flowing valve body which gains us 1" more travel in the rear. this setup performs really well. As far as snapping the shaft I don't know why they would have told you that. This conversion in no way weakens the shaft or makes it more likely to break.

I dont understand how your able to get more travel on the same shock and same swingarm? Could you explain this please?:confused: Are you talking about shock travel or wheel travel?

Colby@C&DRacing
06-29-2006, 08:09 AM
By replacing the valve body with a new one we can relocate it farther up on the shaft this allows the shaft to extend out of the shock body farther giving the shock more shaft travel.:)

rob-u/21
06-29-2006, 08:42 AM
Our setup doesn't come with a link because you don't need one. When properly setup and valved you don't need a linkage

That is exactly what I was told by Todd from TCS revalved my rear 450r shock. Makes you wonder why companies make them when you dont really need them. I guess its just to make us spend more money.