PDA

View Full Version : Problem with my Recon (Help Please!)

NeoThoR
06-26-2006, 04:16 PM
I got this Honda Recon for free from my dads boss.

Free is good.

Thing is its been sitting for 2 years in this guys garage.

We cannot get the back tires to roll even when in neutral. We finally got it started and it won't stay idle without the choke being all the way on. When you give it gas the damn thing dies right away.

I got some fuel line cleaner and carb cleaner. Neither seemed to help..

Anyone know how to fix this..and why the hell its locked up? I think it won't run right because its locked up.. but I have no idea.

Heybo
06-26-2006, 08:01 PM
You need to take the carb off and clean it real good. Tak both jets out of the carb and clean them until you can see through them. Also, clean the circuits that the jets screw into. As far as the rear wheels locked up, the rear brakes may be froze up.

NeoThoR
06-26-2006, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Heybo
You need to take the carb off and clean it real good. Tak both jets out of the carb and clean them until you can see through them. Also, clean the circuits that the jets screw into. As far as the rear wheels locked up, the rear brakes may be froze up.

Ok well the brakes are not froze up.. just FYI

ryanh250ex
06-27-2006, 02:10 AM
check to see if the parking brake is on

check to see if the rear brake is properly adjusted

new spark plug, clean air filter, be sure that the tank is sending gas to the carb.

clean the carb thoroughly.

DieselBoy
06-27-2006, 02:14 PM
it sounds like the carburetor is gummed up from sitting, removing it, opening it up and blowing the canals and jets out, as well as the bowl should fix your problem, also, make sure the float bowl moves freely. discard the old fuel no matter what. drain the tank... and put fresh fuel in. it probably wouldnt be a bad idea to put some oil in the spark plug hole to lube everything incase there is dryness from sitting. changing the crankcase oil is probably a good idea too, engine oil only has a shelf life of approx. 2 years and then it starts breaking down.

As far as the wheels not moving freely, check the parking brake...the axle bearings could be rusted and seized too.. but check for anything else, once you get it running properely maybe you can break it free by revving it up in gear...

goodluck,
mike

krt400ex
06-27-2006, 04:09 PM
those bikes are shaft drive. maybe something got rusted together internally. if it hasn't been touched in 2 yr. who knows when the last time it was lubed up. prolly corrosion.

tim42038
07-09-2006, 09:55 PM
have you pulled the brake drum and checked the shoes if they are not then there might be an issue with the driveshaft it could have a universal joint out you may not rev it up and jam it in gear it could bust the rear diff