PDA

View Full Version : 416 carb help...?

EXevan91
06-26-2006, 02:28 PM
well we rejetted the stock carb on my new 416 and cam we went with a dj165 main and my dad drilled out he stock pilot a little and i pritty much broke it in like that it seemed a little rich (it would stumble and want to stall unless i let off around only when i got on the trottle from a dead stop) so my dad raised the clip on the needle (1st notch i think) and i put a dj160. I put her all back together this morning and pushed he out in the rain (plastics on) and i started her and it seemed real lean and i ran it in nuetral for under a minute and it stalled and it wouldnt start agian so as i was takeing all the plastics off AGAIN and i noticed i didnt have the crankcase breather attached to the air boot... and i changed the main back but not the needle yet and it still wont run!! i need opions here

thanks in advance,Evan

Wheelie
06-26-2006, 04:47 PM
You want to lower the clip on the needle, not raise it. Also, replace the pilot jet, try a 42. Drilling out jets, IMO, is not a good idea.

EXevan91
06-26-2006, 04:50 PM
thanks but i foun the problem i thru a new / old plug in and it fired rigth up... i fouled it i feel like a retard fo rnot trying it sooner.

GPracer2500
06-26-2006, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by EXevan91
well we rejetted the stock carb on my new 416 and cam we went with a dj165 main and my dad drilled out he stock pilot a little and i pritty much broke it in like that it seemed a little rich (it would stumble and want to stall unless i let off around only when i got on the trottle from a dead stop) so my dad raised the clip on the needle (1st notch i think) and i put a dj160. I put her all back together this morning and pushed he out in the rain (plastics on) and i started her and it seemed real lean and i ran it in nuetral for under a minute and it stalled and it wouldnt start agian so as i was takeing all the plastics off AGAIN and i noticed i didnt have the crankcase breather attached to the air boot... and i changed the main back but not the needle yet and it still wont run!! i need opions here

thanks in advance,Evan

Couple things.

--I never like the idea of sticking anything in a jet other than carb cleaner and compressed air--let alone a drill bit! If you need a different sized pilot, get a different sized pilot.

--Only make one change at a time when jetting. If you change your main and your needle at the same time and it runs worse at 5/8ths to 7/8ths throttle--or whatever--then you don't know which change is responsible. It's just not good jetting practice. One change at a time will get you dialed in faster than 5 changes at a time.

--"... raised the clip on the needle (1st notch i think)..." That's way too lean. I can't image that would ever be right unless you are at a super high elevation. Is this a Dynojet needle? If it's stock I'd start with the middle clip postion. If anything you may find better performance on the fourth position (one step richer than stock) but that will depend. The taper of the stock needle seems to support healthy increases in flow without requiring much in the way of adjustment. That's my opinion--not proven fact.

--Where is your fuel screw set? See the How To section for setting your fuel screw and evalutating your pilot circuit.

--A bog caused by whacking the throttle open quickly (starting from a closed or nearly closed throttle) while in neutral or while in gear but at low RPM is caused by a temporary lean condition and the AP's attempts to correct it. It's just a characteristic of slide valve carburetors. The Accelerator Pump is suppose to combat the phenomenon but sometimes squirts too much or not enough fuel. I'm not aware of any specific tuning techniques for the EX carb's AP. Turning up the idle a little and having a correctly jetted pilot circuit will help. Other than that it's a matter of "riding around" the problem. I bet you'll find it doesn't happen much in real world riding (vs. carb tune riding).

EXevan91
06-26-2006, 06:32 PM
well thanks for the advice but its dailed in pritty good now with the dj155 main and the 2nd form the top needle(dj needle) i havent had a lot of time to test it yet but its runnign better ill have to see about my top end now with this jetting... and i know the diffrence between the ap flooding squirt and off jetting.

EXevan91
06-26-2006, 06:35 PM
shes done!
and yes i do have razrs to go on the front too but these aftermarket rims are wider.

EXevan91
06-26-2006, 06:36 PM
:P NOW IF IT WILL EVER STOP RAINING I CAN RIDE HER....!!!
she rips :)