PDA

View Full Version : I want an unbiased oppinion

1ride2for-god
06-26-2006, 01:56 PM
Hi, I just wanted to know if it would be cheaper to race a TRX450R or YFZ. I'm thinking of racing either in stock classes or production classes. Remember, I don't want anybody taking sides to one quad or the other, I just want facts. Thanks, and God bless.:)

Scro
06-26-2006, 02:10 PM
Well if you we're making a decision between the TRX and YFZ, it would come down to which one is cheaper out-the-door and also what type of racing you are talking about.

However, the cheapest quad to race MX is the LTR.

1ride2for-god
06-26-2006, 02:26 PM
I'm going to be racing mainly cross country World Off Rode Championship Sieries.:)

Mx_523
06-26-2006, 10:28 PM
I would say the 450r are probably more expensive to buy. They all brake and cost money to keep running in tip-top shape. Just sit on each machine and give them a try and go with the one you like the most.

krt400ex
06-27-2006, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Mx_523
I would say the 450r are probably more expensive to buy. They all brake and cost money to keep running in tip-top shape. Just sit on each machine and give them a try and go with the one you like the most.

hondas are way more reliable than yamahas. the honda is cheaper initially too. if ur racing woods then get the honda if ur racing track get the yamaha. the honda has more bottom and is more comfortable and better suited to trail riding(or racing), the yamaha has a harder seat and is slightly more cramped. it handles better on the track and the suspension is setup more for track use

GPracer2500
06-27-2006, 04:44 PM
I haven't seen anything that suggests the 450r is any more reliable than a YFZ. If anything, it's the other way around.

krt400ex
06-27-2006, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
I haven't seen anything that suggests the 450r is any more reliable than a YFZ. If anything, it's the other way around.

honda has always been know for reliability. i've never heard of any problems with hondas. i hear of problems with the yamahas all the time. that was just my assumption.

could someone back me up here?

xtullyx16
06-27-2006, 04:56 PM
1ride2for-god- Hi, I just wanted to know if it would be cheaper to race a TRX450R or YFZ. I'm thinking of racing either in stock classes or production classes. Remember, I don't want anybody taking sides to one quad or the other, I just want facts. Thanks, and God bless.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys he asked for no one to take sides on one quad soo please help him out... and i would say the yfz because i rode my brothers and it really stomps on 450rs around my area...

DOHC
06-27-2006, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by krt400ex
honda has always been know for reliability. i've never heard of any problems with hondas. i hear of problems with the yamahas all the time. that was just my assumption.

yea hondas r well know for reliability. The yamaha's arnt bad and break all the time they just have a few more bugs in them thats all. Like said above the yamaha is alittle more suited to the track where the 450r is suited more so to the xc racing. But a 450r is still amazing on track and the yamaha is amazing on the trails. What ever u get a better deal on buy :cool:

krt400ex
06-27-2006, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by DOHC
yea hondas r well know for reliability. The yamaha's arnt bad and break all the time they just have a few more bugs in them thats all. Like said above the yamaha is alittle more suited to the track where the 450r is suited more so to the xc racing. But a 450r is still amazing on track and the yamaha is amazing on the trails. What ever u get a better deal on buy :cool:

thank u

krt400ex
06-27-2006, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by xtullyx16
1ride2for-god- Hi, I just wanted to know if it would be cheaper to race a TRX450R or YFZ. I'm thinking of racing either in stock classes or production classes. Remember, I don't want anybody taking sides to one quad or the other, I just want facts. Thanks, and God bless.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys he asked for no one to take sides on one quad soo please help him out... and i would say the yfz because i rode my brothers and it really stomps on 450rs around my area...

i'm not taking sides. i'm presenting the facts and letting him decide. i will say that i am a hond fan though

GPracer2500
06-27-2006, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by krt400ex

I agree that Hondas have a general reputation for reliability. I'm a mostly Honda man myself. BUT, the CRF engine that the the 04'/05' 450rs are based on (and the 06' 450r essentially is) has developed a reputation for valve issues. The YFZ/YZF engine has no such reputation. In fact, it has earned a very good reputation for reliabilty. Spend some time on ThumperTalk and you'll see what I mean. I believe it has to do with the 5 valve design of the YFZ/YZF head. Yamaha dosen't need to use the radical cam specs that Honda does to get air into/out-of the engine. Just a my theory but I think it's sound.

That's why I'm not willing to say that the Honda 450r engine is any more reliable than the YFZ engine.

I just saw THIS THREAD (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=239853&perpage=15&pagenumber=1) about a rod failure on a 450r. I'll concede that the info there hardly damns the 450r's reliabilty, but still....

My only point is I don't think there is any reason to choose a 450r over a YFZ based on reliability concerns.

DieselBoy
06-27-2006, 06:28 PM

I totally agree. I have a honda that keeps breaking and I can vouch that they do infact break, and they do too have their problems. The YFZ is a good machine, I believe YAMAHA has worked hard and done a very good job on this machine. I've owned 2 hondas, and many yamahas. I don't hate honda, but I prefer the yamaha product, and not because a bunch of people favortise a manufacturer, because I LIKE IT, and I've spent much time on these machines.

Don't spit out claims that yamahas "always break", cause that isn't true.

400exrider707
06-27-2006, 06:42 PM
I agree that Hondas have a general reputation for reliability. I'm a mostly Honda man myself. BUT, the CRF engine that the the 04'/05' 450rs are based on (and the 06' 450r essentially is) has developed a reputation for valve issues. The YFZ/YZF engine has no such reputation. In fact, it has earned a very good reputation for reliabilty. Spend some time on ThumperTalk and you'll see what I mean. I believe it has to do with the 5 valve design of the YFZ/YZF head. Yamaha dosen't need to use the radical cam specs that Honda does to get air into/out-of the engine. Just a my theory but I think it's sound.

That's why I'm not willing to say that the Honda 450r engine is any more reliable than the YFZ engine.

I just saw THIS THREAD (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=239853&perpage=15&pagenumber=1) about a rod failure on a 450r. I'll concede that the info there hardly damns the 450r's reliabilty, but still....

My only point is I don't think there is any reason to choose a 450r over a YFZ based on reliability concerns.

The CRF's had valve problems because of the titanium valves that were used, they were very unreliable, which is why every desert team that ran one of those bikes switched to steel valves. The TRX comes with steel valves from the factory so no problem there;)

I am a Honda fan through and through, and I have always been that way because working on every type of machine I have come to appreciate the engineering that Honda has put into all of their machines. This does not seem to be the case as much anymore, as almost every manufacturer is experiencing all of their own minor problems, which is to be expected on new released models. At this point its pretty much up to you. Try and ride both and see which one you like. They will both need money to be "race ready" and they will both have problems, its all part of the sport. Either way you cant go wrong.:macho

GPracer2500
06-27-2006, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
The CRF's had valve problems because of the titanium valves that were used, they were very unreliable, which is why every desert team that ran one of those bikes switched to steel valves. The TRX comes with steel valves from the factory so no problem there;)

I am a Honda fan through and through, and I have always been that way because working on every type of machine I have come to appreciate the engineering that Honda has put into all of their machines. This does not seem to be the case as much anymore, as almost every manufacturer is experiencing all of their own minor problems, which is to be expected on new released models. At this point its pretty much up to you. Try and ride both and see which one you like. They will both need money to be "race ready" and they will both have problems, its all part of the sport. Either way you cant go wrong.:macho

Good point on the valvetrains. I may have been off base to bring that up in reference to the TRX450R. And I too appreciate Honda's engineering prowess. I've made several posts recently that highlight what Honda can and does do regarding engineering.

I don't know if Honda has really lost much of their famed reliabilty, build quality, and general fit and finish. I think its just that the other manufactures (especially Yamaha) have picked up their game and can now stand toe-to-toe with Honda in many respects.

400exrider707
06-27-2006, 07:26 PM
Good point on the valvetrains. I may have been off base to bring that up in reference to the TRX450R. And I too appreciate Honda's engineering prowess. I've made several posts recently that highlight what Honda can and does do regarding engineering.

I don't know if Honda has really lost much of their famed reliabilty, build quality, and general fit and finish. I think its just that the other manufactures (especially Yamaha) have picked up their game and can now stand toe-to-toe with Honda in many respects.

Exactly what I was getting at. Honda has always been reliable, and the other manufacturers are now catching up. I posted on here somewhere that if you read older dirtbike mags, and if they talk about buying used bikes, they all say buy honda, and its because honda used to use tighter tolerances on all of their engines, which made them more reliable.

outlaw450r
06-27-2006, 07:32 PM
Anything that goes through the abuse of a race quad will eventually tear up. The quads are made to sell not to last forever. The YFZ and the TRX are so close in every dept. it comes down to how good you can ride and what you feel comfortable riding. Try riding both and decide which you like better.

Toadz400
06-27-2006, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by outlaw450r
Anything that goes through the abuse of a race quad will eventually tear up. The quads are made to sell not to last forever. The YFZ and the TRX are so close in every dept. it comes down to how good you can ride and what you feel comfortable riding. Try riding both and decide which you like better.

Exactly! Everyone shut up about which one is more reliable, they are both exactly the same! I have seen just as many Hondas breaking down as Yamahas! The guy asked us not to take sides he just asked which one would be CHEAPER to race.

It's going to be the same either way unless you can get one quite a bit cheaper out-the-door from the dealership.

And it all comes down to which one is more comfortable for you.

Reliability is the same, no matter what anyone says...I've owned Honda, and currently own Yamaha. If you do the proper maintenence they both will last just as long. There, now everyone shut up and help the guy with his question.

bwamos
06-28-2006, 10:54 AM
Here's my unbiased opinion on the 450's.

LT-R450 will not be a good fit for you if you're running Cross Country. A bit too wide.

Between the YZF450 and the TRX450R.. a tie. Try to test ride them both. One will fit you and your riding style better. They both have a different feel. Fatigue is the #1 factor in any XC race IMHO. Which one will get you to the last lap with the least amount of fatigue?

F-16Guy
06-28-2006, 12:06 PM
Like other people have said, the two are very close, but here are a couple of things to consider:

- If you are a woods rider, the Honda might be better because of it's better torque (smaller bore, longer stroke). Honestly, after riding my 400ex for so long (tractor), I stall the new bikes all the time, no matter the brand. You may want to consider a flywheel weight for either quad if you're going to do a lot of woods or tight tracks. I passed more riders than I could keep track of at the Lake Havasu WORCS race this year on my 400ex because people were stalling their quads in the tight stuff.

- Rider size is important. The YFZ might be better if you're shorter, and the 450R if you're taller, although both can be (and will probably have to be) modified/adjusted to suit you.

- Ease of maintenance. In my experience, Hondas are quite a bit easier to work on than Yamahas. To Yamaha's credit, though, they fixed some of the older complaints when they designed the YFZ, such as going with an eccentric bearing carrier (Honda style) to make adjusting the chain easier.

- Parts cost. Both quads have a huge aftermarket, so you may want to check out how much comparable parts are for each quad and see which one will be cheaper to keep and modify over the long run.

ohsobad_chevy
06-28-2006, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by F-16Guy
Like other people have said, the two are very close, but here are a couple of things to consider:

- If you are a woods rider, the Honda might be better because of it's better torque (smaller bore, longer stroke). Honestly, after riding my 400ex for so long (tractor), I stall the new bikes all the time, no matter the brand. You may want to consider a flywheel weight for either quad if you're going to do a lot of woods or tight tracks. I passed more riders than I could keep track of at the Lake Havasu WORCS race this year on my 400ex because people were stalling their quads in the tight stuff.

- Rider size is important. The YFZ might be better if you're shorter, and the 450R if you're taller, although both can be (and will probably have to be) modified/adjusted to suit you.

- Ease of maintenance. In my experience, Hondas are quite a bit easier to work on than Yamahas. To Yamaha's credit, though, they fixed some of the older complaints when they designed the YFZ, such as going with an eccentric bearing carrier (Honda style) to make adjusting the chain easier.

- Parts cost. Both quads have a huge aftermarket, so you may want to check out how much comparable parts are for each quad and see which one will be cheaper to keep and modify over the long run.

Well said bro!!:)

krt400ex
06-28-2006, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by F-16Guy

u hit the nail on the head with that one.:D

Iliketogofast
06-28-2006, 06:31 PM
The LT-R. All you need is a pipe, a filter and a cherry bomb and it's ready to roll.

400 SS EX
06-28-2006, 10:11 PM
Before he spoke up ^^^^^^ I was about to say ' I wonder how pissed off suzuki is that we aren't even considering their fourwheeler' ----oh well that's their fault for making an ugly underpowered quad, whose having a pretty serious recall issue.

DieselBoy
06-28-2006, 10:13 PM
i dont think an LTR would be out of the question. it's the first year of the product, OBVIOUSLY there will be some problems. Don't spend your days knocking other manufacturers, it gets really, really old.

Toadz400
06-28-2006, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Iliketogofast
The LT-R. All you need is a pipe, a filter and a cherry bomb and it's ready to roll.

You forgot shortened a-arms and then having to revalve the shocks for the arms. He said he wanted to race cross country. And I don't know about the trails that they race on, but I barely fit through mine with my stock width YFZ.

Iliketogofast
06-28-2006, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by DieselBoy
i dont think an LTR would be out of the question. it's the first year of the product, OBVIOUSLY there will be some problems. Don't spend your days knocking other manufacturers, it gets really, really old.

Yup. He probably won't get the quad til next year anyway, and by that time the new and improved LT-R will be out. I might have been a sinker this time around, but next year the bugs are going to be worked out.

Iliketogofast
06-28-2006, 10:41 PM

That sucks.

rooster300ex
06-29-2006, 07:16 AM
They are both mechanical, so therefore they both can break down, and get worn out? get the 450r

krt400ex
06-29-2006, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by rooster300ex
They are both mechanical, so therefore they both can break down, and get worn out? get the 450r

i completely agree

DOHC
06-29-2006, 08:58 AM
^^^agreed

Toadz400
06-29-2006, 12:01 PM
Why get the 450R? Any reasons for that besides you're partial to Honda?

Seriously though, ride both and see which one you are more comfortable on. Only way you're going to be able to tell, no one is going to be able to tell you which one to get.

DieselBoy
06-29-2006, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400

Seriously though, ride both and see which one you are more comfortable on. Only way you're going to be able to tell, no one is going to be able to tell you which one to get.

Amen.... I wouldnt buy any certain bike because a bunch of people said so. I would get on them, inspect them, weigh out what the pro's and con's of each are, and come to my decision based on what I like better.

deathman53
06-29-2006, 10:37 PM
you have to ride both of them and decide. I personally don't like any of them. I rode a modded yfz for a day when in florida and I rode my friends 450r when it was somewhat stock(I rode a atc250r). I didn't like either, not long ago I rode a modded yfz and a stock 450r, I didn't like either. I felt more comfortable on my atc250r and atc200x. Did you ever try a 400ex? they make great woods bikes, tractors and very hard to stall. Another question did you ever try a 250r? Don't buy into this 450 hype, winning and losing the race is all about rider skill, bike has 10% effect, rider 90%. Get what YOU are more comfortable on. I feel very comfortable on 250r's and my lsr crf450r w/ a 250r style frame, besides my trikes. Try everything you can and get what you like and can be fast xc racing on.

prepracing
06-30-2006, 04:03 PM
Stock vs. Stock, the 450r components last longer. Such as the a-arms and a-arm bushings are far superior to the YFZ ( I know YFZ are greasable, but they still suck and don't last long ). 450R swingarm is tougher and easier adjustment, although since the new YFZ copied honda's swingarm its ok now. 450R frame has fewer weak points. Both have very strong motors, but the honda seems more rideable in the woods, the YFZ is more highstrung which is why I think it really shines in flattrack and TT racing.

DieselBoy
06-30-2006, 08:39 PM
there isnt sh.... wrong with the yfz..quit being a dink

redneck zach
08-13-2006, 07:18 PM
if u are going to mx its the yz, i have one and it is awesome at mx. now the trx is the one that u want to use for cross country.

Toadz400
08-13-2006, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by prepracing
Stock vs. Stock, the 450r components last longer. Such as the a-arms and a-arm bushings are far superior to the YFZ ( I know YFZ are greasable, but they still suck and don't last long ). 450R swingarm is tougher and easier adjustment, although since the new YFZ copied honda's swingarm its ok now. 450R frame has fewer weak points. Both have very strong motors, but the honda seems more rideable in the woods, the YFZ is more highstrung which is why I think it really shines in flattrack and TT racing.

Honda's have a weaker frame, from what I've noticed/experienced. The '06-'07 YFZ is now a much more mellow engine which will make it more favorable for woods riding, as the 450R has now been made more aggressive making it more favorable for MX. But then again, it still comes down to what you are comfortable on.

wilkin250r
08-13-2006, 07:51 PM
In the past, Hondas have been known for reliability.

But the mistake that MANY people make is to assume that nothing ever changes. They assume that since Honda has a history of reliability, that there is no possible way they could ever have weak spot in one of their engines.

Likewise they think that there is no possible way that Yamaha could ever possibly come up with a reliable, strong engine design. Never.

Does this make a whole lot of sense? That it's absolutely impossible for Yamaha to come out with a reliable engine design? I guess it's equally impossible that they have come out with a chassis that has excellent handling?

Both quads are excellent, but don't ever think for one second that the Yamaha is "less reliable", simply because old trends. The YZ engine has proven itself it the dirtbike and atv realms. This is why there is very little difference in basic design over the years from the YZ400 engines to today. It's a solid engine design, and has proven itself as reliable as any high-performance Honda engine out there.

firefighterjosh
08-15-2006, 02:03 AM
Alright who cares about reliability and all that stupid stuff. He just asked which one is Cheaper....... From What I noticed here in Indiana the TRX are going for more then the YFZ.

Anyways ride them both and see what you think.

I am a Yami fan but this is what I noticed.

YFZ: Cornered Better then the TRX.

TRX: Great big powerband. Good power deliver. Feels like it has better shocks. But felt more tippy.

I am sure ppl will disagree with me but thats what i feel like riding them. Thats why you need to go ride them both.

krt400ex
08-15-2006, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
Alright who cares about reliability and all that stupid stuff. He just asked which one is Cheaper....... From What I noticed here in Indiana the TRX are going for more then the YFZ.

Anyways ride them both and see what you think.

I am a Yami fan but this is what I noticed.

YFZ: Cornered Better then the TRX.

TRX: Great big powerband. Good power deliver. Feels like it has better shocks. But felt more tippy.

I am sure ppl will disagree with me but thats what i feel like riding them. Thats why you need to go ride them both.

i completely agree there, but everyone i talk to likes the handling of the trx better than the yfz in mx form. so if u r going to race then get the trx

bradley300
08-15-2006, 08:22 AM
one thing i have noticed, is look at the pro class racers that are not factory riders. nearly all of them are on hondas. both are reliable, both turn well, and power is even on both. to me it comes down to the honda having more rake on the a-arms, which will soak up bumps better, period

250exRgood2
08-15-2006, 08:53 AM
Deffinatley the 450r. My friends yfz doesnt feel to good riding in the woods and if rougher terrain but it feels like a dream riding it on a track.