PDA

View Full Version : Starting issues.

300ex_#387
06-26-2006, 01:41 PM
Well I had a problem before that my neutrel light wouldnt come on and my 4 wheeler wasnt getting any power. It was just a bad battery connection. It's doing it again, and I checked all the connections and wires and found nothing. The nuetral light will come on sometimes, but not always. It will sometimes be dimmer too. I replaced the batter like a week ago, and even when I tested the battery I replaced it still said it was good. I'm not really sure whats going on here. When the nuetral light is on and I go to hit the starter the light will go out, but when I let off the starter it comes back on. The starter wont even come on either.

300ex_#387
06-26-2006, 07:50 PM
This would be my 2nd battery in 1 week. Could my 4 wheeler not be racharging my battery? What causes this?

GPracer2500
06-26-2006, 08:06 PM
Maybe. The charging coil (stator) and regulater/rectifier are responsible for charging the battery. I'd suggest getting a service manual for electrical compenent testing. It will have detailed procedures for testing each compenent.

If your batteries keep dying, you could also have a short somewhere on the quad that is slowly draining your battery while it just sits there. To perform a current leakage test: Turn the ignition off and disconnect the neg cable from the battery. Connect the pos lead from your meter to the neg battery cable. Connect the neg meter lead to the neg battery terminal. Measure for current leakage. For a 400EX 0.1mA is the max allowable. I'd guess it's the same or similar on your 300EX.

300ex_#387
06-26-2006, 08:19 PM
Well I know it had a wire shorting out last week, becuase it went into the shop to find out what was wrong with it. I hate messing with the electrical stuff, I guess I will just take it back into the shop.