PDA

View Full Version : 250r revving abnormal??

Cr85rRida
06-26-2006, 12:18 PM
I recently had the ESR set up on my R ( air box eliminator kit)

any way, i sold the tube but kept the filter that came with it. I have an airbox and boot now, but the filter dosent fit flush with the hole the air box has for the filter.

now my engine is revving super high, theres no other air leaks, throttel cable seems to be fine, tried the adjust the idle dosent really help. Could this be the problem???

what air filter should i get?
whats causing the R revving so high right when i start it?

GPracer2500
06-26-2006, 12:31 PM
What do you mean by "...theres no other air leaks..." Does that mean there IS an air leak?

An intake air leak after the carb will cause exactly what you're describing. A leak at the filter might be letting enough air in that the pilot jet is just too lean [shrug].

Does changeing the air screw have an affect?

Cr85rRida
06-26-2006, 12:34 PM
i ment, no other air leaks as in this is the ONLY way i can see air getting in, so if there IS a leak its gotta be coming from the filiter, the filter dosent fit right ( to small) so mabey air is getting in that way?

it did for a second but it went back to the way it was.

GPracer2500
06-26-2006, 12:36 PM
Does turning the air screw IN help the condition?

ETA: we're posting on top of each other, lol

Cr85rRida
06-26-2006, 12:39 PM
lol,

Turning it out was helping it if i remember correctly. which is which??

GPracer2500
06-26-2006, 12:39 PM
I think there's a good chance your filter fit is causing the trouble.

Cr85rRida
06-26-2006, 12:40 PM
okay, so which filter should i get? stock, uni, twin??

GPracer2500
06-26-2006, 12:40 PM
Check the "how to" section for my post on setting a fuel screw. You've got an air screw, not a fuel screw but I talk about those too.

GPracer2500
06-26-2006, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Cr85rRida
okay, so which filter should i get? stock, uni, twin??

I'd think any of those would be fine.

Cr85rRida
06-26-2006, 12:59 PM
so the air screw is on the carb right, its the idle screw? i have a mikuni tmx carb its on www.esr250.com if you wanna take a look at it, im not sure the size tho if it matters..

heres a link to the 36mm their the same i thin except for the size http://www.esr250.com/images/2stroke/tmxcarb.jpg

see the gold screw( top one) thats what i have been trying to adjust it with.

GPracer2500
06-26-2006, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Cr85rRida
so the air screw is on the carb right, its the idle screw? i have a mikuni tmx carb its on www.esr250.com if you wanna take a look at it, im not sure the size tho if it matters..

On a TMX, the air screw is on the left side. It's a slotted brass screw. It's above the float bowl, below and behind the fuel inlet fitting. The idle stop screw is a different thing. All the idle stop screw does is limit the downward travel of the slide. The air screw changes the richness/leaness of the pilot circuit (as does the actual pilot jet). The air screw is for making small changes to the pilot circuit. The pilot jet is for making larger changes.

ETA: that top brass screw is the idle stop screw.

Cr85rRida
06-26-2006, 01:55 PM
i think it is the throttel cable, i tried loosing it up and it seemed to budge, also when i turned the quad it would lower down one way and get higher up another. should i take off the carb and check it out? it hasent been started in a while before this and it didnt do this while i rode it a lot.

Cr85rRida
06-26-2006, 02:42 PM
could this be elctrical? i got shocked 2 times just now while it was running??? the cdi is brand new?????????/

GPracer2500
06-26-2006, 02:43 PM
An idle speed that changes when the bars are turned does seem to suggest it's the throttle cable (too tight, hung up, or maybe corroded).

Cr85rRida
06-26-2006, 02:48 PM
i posted above you look again

hondardr4life
06-26-2006, 04:40 PM
I'm having the same problem, my quad revs uncontrollably when i start it. I have determined that mine is caused by a leaky head gasket. I called Hetricks in the process of trying to figure this out, and the guy told me to start it, and get a can of something flammable (WD40, carb cleaner, ect...) and spray it on where I think the leak may be comming from, and the rpm's will go down for a second, because it is getting more fuel. You might want to give that a try.

Cr85rRida
06-28-2006, 07:56 AM
okay im going to give it a try thanks, i just looked at the carb and its fine, i guess this is the only thing?

250r4life
06-28-2006, 12:38 PM
well, is it a different filter than the normal K&N filter for the airbox... i am not familiar with the eliminator kit, but if it isnt the same filter that would be my 1st thing to do- get the right filter on there...

proper filter maintenance and fitting and etc... is one of the most important things to consider on bikes...