PDA

View Full Version : Rocket brand racing fuel

red2004 TRX450R
06-26-2006, 11:19 AM
any one use rocket brand racing fuel. A pro big block modified racer turned us onto it. He and his engine builder did dyno testing with 10 different engines and 15 brands of racing gas and different octane ratings and came up that 115mon (118(R+M/2)) rocket fuel makes the best power regardless of the compression.

I have not data to back up this statement up, just what he told me.

so we decided to test it in our drag cars and we did pick up between .1 - .21 (could have been environmental or other factors???)

we were told that fuel atomization and other things i don't under stand are far Superior with this fuel.

I run it 50/50 in my stock compression 450r because it is in the garage, smells good, lead helps the valves, and may pick up a horse or 2.

any one run it. its made by the X 76 Racing Fuel Group

krt400ex
06-27-2006, 04:27 PM
never even heard of that brand

exrider008
06-27-2006, 04:30 PM
dont they sell that on rockymountainatv?

GPracer2500
06-27-2006, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by exrider008
dont they sell that on rockymountainatv?

That stuff is called Rocket Fuel and it's an octane booster.

tricked05rappy
06-27-2006, 08:51 PM
Rocket fuel is not just an octane booster. I live in Alabama and my brothers runs a gas station thats sells Rocket brand race fuel. I live close to a dirt track so thats why they sell it. They sell from 100 to 118 rocket fuel. It costs almost 6 dollars a gallon. The 118 is prolly the best and it doesn burn much cleaner. The only thing you have to worry about is overheating. I usually run a mixture to keep that down, plus I dont want to melt a hole in the piston. But you can tell a definate difference between that and regular octane gas.

GPracer2500
06-27-2006, 09:06 PM
No, I'm saying that Rockett Brand (http://www.rockettbrand.com/) is not what Rockymountain sells. Rkymtn sells this stuff, called Cal Products Rocket Fuel and it's an octane booster.

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/RMATV-Images/productImages/160/C/CAL_04_ROK_FUL_1OZ.JPG

400exrider707
06-27-2006, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by red2004 TRX450R
any one use rocket brand racing fuel. A pro big block modified racer turned us onto it. He and his engine builder did dyno testing with 10 different engines and 15 brands of racing gas and different octane ratings and came up that 115mon (118(R+M/2)) rocket fuel makes the best power regardless of the compression.

I have not data to back up this statement up, just what he told me.

so we decided to test it in our drag cars and we did pick up between .1 - .21 (could have been environmental or other factors???)

we were told that fuel atomization and other things i don't under stand are far Superior with this fuel.

I run it 50/50 in my stock compression 450r because it is in the garage, smells good, lead helps the valves, and may pick up a horse or 2.

any one run it. its made by the X 76 Racing Fuel Group

No way will you see a 1 horse gain from fuel

GPracer2500
06-27-2006, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707

At least not that fuel.

You can get "bolt-on" HP from oxygen fortified race fuels like like VP's U2 or U4. I use to run NuTec (I believe the first oxgenated race fuel on the market) years ago in my roadracer. Instant HP.

400exrider707
06-27-2006, 11:50 PM
Yeah sorry I didn't specify.:p

krt400ex
06-28-2006, 10:04 AM

the vp u4 race fuel adds 3 horses to a stock crf450. i got my info from mxa

red2004 TRX450R
06-28-2006, 11:22 AM

It burns faster and more completely at higher RPM than other fuels, allowing it to deliver greater horsepower.

you most likely not see any thing on a quad, but try it on a v-8

racing gas has more going for it than just Octane!!!!
most racing fuel is better than pump gas because it is held to higher tolerances and values like Density, g/cm3 @ 60º F. Gravity, ºAPI, Reid Vapor Pressure, psi, Distillation F @ % Evap. Int. Boiling Point
which is more suited for high RPM racing than pump gas that is made for tree huggers.

is it worth paying the extra money for it if you dont need it NO!!!!

red2004 TRX450R
06-28-2006, 12:29 PM
Fast Burn or Slow Burn (http://www.rockettbrand.com/technicals/documents/TechBulletins/FastBurnOrSlowBurn.pdf)

Additives and Components (http://www.rockettbrand.com/technicals/documents/TechBulletins/AdditivesAndComponents.pdf) only unleaded 100 has oxygen add

Flame Speed, Octane and HP Relationships (http://www.rockettbrand.com/technicals/documents/TechBulletins/FlameSpeedOctaneAndHpRelationships.pdf)

BTU Content of Gasoline (http://www.rockettbrand.com/technicals/documents/TechBulletins/BtuContentOfGasoline.pdf)

Leaded Racing Gasoline Myths (http://www.rockettbrand.com/technicals/documents/TechBulletins/LeadedRacingGasolineMyths.pdf)

Octane Number Confusion (http://www.rockettbrand.com/technicals/documents/TechBulletins/OctaneNumberConfusion.pdf)

Unleaded Racing Gasoline Myths (http://www.rockettbrand.com/technicals/documents/TechBulletins/UnleadedRacingGasolineMyths.pdf)

Detonation or Pre Ignition (http://www.rockettbrand.com/technicals/documents/TechBulletins/DetonationOrPreIgnition.pdf)

400 SS EX
06-28-2006, 01:47 PM
I just started running 50/50 VP Racing U4 and Premium and I can tell a difference. I suppose since its oxygenated.

Kinda curious what makes race gas unable to stay in the carburetor. They said to drain the carb. before its sits for a couple days.

MarkyNark
06-28-2006, 07:22 PM
Ive used about every fuel there is and have had several different quads with different compression levels.

My advice when looking for a fuel, first consider the octane level. There are lots of ways to measure octane. Also try and figure out what octane your piston compression recommends. The other way to do it is find a fuel company, like VP, and what they recommend for the compression ratio of your piston.

I've used U4 and I had some issues in my Edelbrock carb when using it. Its been rebuilt twice as a result of leaving that fuel in my carb. Its harmful so at least the seals on the Edelbrock. I did ask VP, the maker of U4 about it, and they said it was possible to have some damage if you dont drain the fuel from the carb. I asked them what else I could run, then they suggested C12.

I'm very happy with C12. It helps in keeping my 460EX cool even with running a 25hp shot of nitrous.

After getting the right fuel for your piston, then jet it with an A/F meter or a CO meter. A/F should be around 14.7 and CO should be around 6% - if you are there, she's jetted exactly correct.

Here is some useful information from the VP website ...

“OCTANE: This does nothing more than rate a fuel's ability to resist detonation and /or preignition. Octane is rated in Research Octane Numbers (RON), Motor Octane Numbers (MON) and Pump Octane Numbers (R+M/2). A Pump Octane number is the number you see on the yellow decal at gas stations, representing the average of the fuels ROM and MON. VP relies on MON because the MON test more accurately simulates racing conditions. Don’t be fooled by high RON or R+2M/2 numbers. Many companies use these simply because they look higher and are easier to come by due to the testing method. Also, be aware that the ability of fuel to resist preignition is more than just a function of octane."

U4

Used in stock and modified 4-stroke applications, as well as stock 2-strokes. Makes up to 6% more power than pump gas and any basic nonoxygenated racing fuel. Passes fuel rules for AMA amateur racing and is also perfect for club level racing, CCS, WERA and AFM. For optimum horsepower and performance, do not store this fuel in vehicle — drain fuel system.

Color: Clear
Motor Octane: 92
Specific Gravity: .718 at 60° F

----------------------------

VP-110

Not your "Standard" 110! Highest rated MON of any 110 fuel on the market. Formulated for use in naturally aspirated engines with CRs up to 14:1. Works will in 2 Strokes. Good lower cost alternative.

Color: Purple
Motor Octane: 107
R+M/2: 110
Specific Gravity: .720-.735 at 60 degrees

C-12

The best all around racing fuel made. Recommended for CRs below 15:1, satisfying the needs of 75% of today’s race engines. One of the winningest fuels in racing history, including Modified Tour, GNN, D.I.R.T., Indy Lights, NHRA, AMA as well as other local and national championships across the US and around the world.

Color: Green
Motor Octane: 108
Specific Gravity: .717 at 60 degrees

C14

Recommended for naturally aspirated engines operating at over 8000 rpms with CRs of 14:1 and over in drag race cars, 4-stroke drag race motorcycles, snowmobiles and PWCs (230PSI or higher). Spec fuel for NHRA Comp Eliminator.

Color: Yellow
Motor Octane: 114
Specific Gravity: .696 at 60 degrees

C15

Used in large (500 CI or greater) normally aspirated engines with Ultra high CRs of 14:1 or greater. Can also be used in smaller nitorus systems. Very consistent fuel - Excellent for bracket racing.

Motor Octane: 115
Specific Gravity: .713 at 60 degrees

trx400exxracer
06-28-2006, 07:58 PM
we just use Sunoco 110 octane:blah:

krt400ex
06-29-2006, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by MarkyNark
Ive used about every fuel there is and have had several different quads with different compression levels.

My advice when looking for a fuel, first consider the octane level. There are lots of ways to measure octane. Also try and figure out what octane your piston compression recommends. The other way to do it is find a fuel company, like VP, and what they recommend for the compression ratio of your piston.

I've used U4 and I had some issues in my Edelbrock carb when using it. Its been rebuilt twice as a result of leaving that fuel in my carb. Its harmful so at least the seals on the Edelbrock. I did ask VP, the maker of U4 about it, and they said it was possible to have some damage if you dont drain the fuel from the carb. I asked them what else I could run, then they suggested C12.

I'm very happy with C12. It helps in keeping my 460EX cool even with running a 25hp shot of nitrous.

After getting the right fuel for your piston, then jet it with an A/F meter or a CO meter. A/F should be around 14.7 and CO should be around 6% - if you are there, she's jetted exactly correct.

Here is some useful information from the VP website ...

“OCTANE: This does nothing more than rate a fuel's ability to resist detonation and /or preignition. Octane is rated in Research Octane Numbers (RON), Motor Octane Numbers (MON) and Pump Octane Numbers (R+M/2). A Pump Octane number is the number you see on the yellow decal at gas stations, representing the average of the fuels ROM and MON. VP relies on MON because the MON test more accurately simulates racing conditions. Don’t be fooled by high RON or R+2M/2 numbers. Many companies use these simply because they look higher and are easier to come by due to the testing method. Also, be aware that the ability of fuel to resist preignition is more than just a function of octane."

U4

Used in stock and modified 4-stroke applications, as well as stock 2-strokes. Makes up to 6% more power than pump gas and any basic nonoxygenated racing fuel. Passes fuel rules for AMA amateur racing and is also perfect for club level racing, CCS, WERA and AFM. For optimum horsepower and performance, do not store this fuel in vehicle — drain fuel system.

Color: Clear
Motor Octane: 92
Specific Gravity: .718 at 60° F

VP-110

Not your "Standard" 110! Highest rated MON of any 110 fuel on the market. Formulated for use in naturally aspirated engines with CRs up to 14:1. Works will in 2 Strokes. Good lower cost alternative.

Color: Purple
Motor Octane: 107
R+M/2: 110
Specific Gravity: .720-.735 at 60 degrees

C-12

The best all around racing fuel made. Recommended for CRs below 15:1, satisfying the needs of 75% of today’s race engines. One of the winningest fuels in racing history, including Modified Tour, GNN, D.I.R.T., Indy Lights, NHRA, AMA as well as other local and national championships across the US and around the world.

Motor Octane: 108
Specific Gravity: .717 at 60 degrees

C14

Recommended for naturally aspirated engines operating at over 8000 rpms with CRs of 14:1 and over in drag race cars, 4-stroke drag race motorcycles, snowmobiles and PWCs (230PSI or higher). Spec fuel for NHRA Comp Eliminator.

Color: Yellow
Motor Octane: 114
Specific Gravity: .696 at 60 degrees

C15

Used in large (500 CI or greater) normally aspirated engines with Ultra high CRs of 14:1 or greater. Can also be used in smaller nitorus systems. Very consistent fuel - Excellent for bracket racing.

Motor Octane: 115
Specific Gravity: .713 at 60 degrees

wow that's a lot of info. thanks