PDA

View Full Version : Symptoms of blown gasket

Chino886
06-26-2006, 08:41 AM
List some....

I ran real hot during one race and now it is making some funny noises, like there is an air leak?

Iliketogofast
06-26-2006, 08:50 AM
Uhh.... Leaks?

Check for oil and air leaks around the base and top gaskets. If you have an air leak those are the two places it is going to be.

Just start the bike and feel around the seams. I could feel mine with my fingers, but I don't know if mine was more severe than most or what.

If there's a leak the RPMs usually vary at weird levels, they will jump around and skyrocket sometimes. The R would rev to the moon when I pulled the clutch in, and when I hit the kill switch it wouldn't stop, it only quit when I let the clutch back out or pulled the coil.

Chino886
06-26-2006, 09:00 AM
I knew an oil leak was a sure sign, but I was looking for other signs. I will check for air leaks.

Iliketogofast
06-26-2006, 11:48 AM
I'm assuming the bike is a 450? I don't know about 4 strokes but when my R leaked it made a deep toned whistle noise. It sounded kinda like a big turbocharger in terms of tone, but it was inconsistent.

Like I said before, if you have an air leak you're going to get problems with the bike running. Mine wouldn't idle, and when I blipped it to keep it alive the RPMs would skyrocket. Very erratic running, at least on two strokes.