View Full Version : Predator500

Dave310R
08-15-2002, 11:20 AM
Polaris is offering a limited edition (1000 models) Troy Lee Designs Predator500. It looks sharp but I've never been real big on Polaris quads. I'm thinking about reserving one on www.predator500.com but I'm really undecided. I've always been a Honda Man (400Ex & 250R current rides) but it may be nice to try something a little different. Does anybody think the Predator will be worth a crap ??

bansheeguy77
08-15-2002, 12:51 PM
it will be good...polaris knows how to make power they just couldnt get it to the ground with the cvt....the predator should show that they can make fast quads...i dont know if i would give in yet though wait till next year till yamie and honda release their new big bores. hwo much is a predator anyway?

freakystone
08-15-2002, 12:58 PM
Looks powerful but heavier than a Raptor... Almost DS like. People forget that the DS has about 42 hp since it is such a heavy, wide beast.

Dave310R
08-15-2002, 01:08 PM
Seems like I remember the MSRP to be 6200-6300 ( I think). And the dry weight is only 415 lbs. Thats not much heavier than a 400.

freakystone
08-15-2002, 01:11 PM
415 dry is about 450+ with fluids...

We'll see. I would get a Dale before I'd get the Predator...

Nausty
08-15-2002, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Dave310R
Seems like I remember the MSRP to be 6200-6300 ( I think). And the dry weight is only 415 lbs. Thats not much heavier than a 400.

umm I wouldn't listen to the manufacture on what they say the dry weight is, they tend to exagerate the truth. I think it will be a decent quad but not much for a racer and pry not that great for tight trails. Basicly I think its gonna be a little bit smaller, better handling ds650.

Guy400
08-15-2002, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by freakystone
415 dry is about 450+ with fluids...

We'll see. I would get a Dale before I'd get the Predator... Ditto.

And to add to Nausty's point, you might as well take the manufacturers weight claims and add 10lbs. then add on the fluids and you're easily looking at a bike that weighs 450+lbs. I believe Dale is the only company that's actually had their claimed weights substantiated.

The real question is this, who are these manufacturers listening too while they're doing their market research? If someone came to me and ask me what am I looking for in a sport quad I'm certainly not going to answer, "I'd like to see something that's got a big 4-stroke engine in it that weighs 450lbs. wet and don't worry about reverse with that beast.":huh That might be a good recipe for the dunes where you've got 1000 square miles to turn around on but in the woods it's terrible. On top of that if you're not going to offer reverse than you had better keep the weight down, in which case the Predator does not do. On the MX the Predator hurts itself in 2 ways, 1.) weight is the enemy on track, and 2.) with 500cc it only qualifies as an Open class bike. I see the Predator as an in between quad. Shrink the DS and you've got the Predator.

Pappy
08-15-2002, 03:56 PM
i dont understand why polaris jumped into this market with a quad that doent offer anything you really cant already get. i dunno....

airheadedduner
08-15-2002, 04:44 PM
From what I understand the Predator is designed to compete with the DS. It is cheaper then the DS and offers similar performance. So its kinda unfair to compare it to the cannondale, raptor, etc... I think it will be a decent dunner just like the DS but I wouldn't buy it cause I prefer lightweight rides.

Woodsrider
08-15-2002, 06:05 PM
The Preditor is 415 dry with 6ply razors and Fox shocks. I would like to see what a Raptor or Z400 weighs wet, with 6ply razrs on all four corners. I am sure they are all close together.
I do agree it should have had reverse;)