PDA

View Full Version : Dyna Ignition

Iliketogofast
06-26-2006, 06:50 AM
I've been thinking about the next mod to the R, and I've decided to start doing the ignition. I'm going to replace the coil and the CDI. I'm also redoing the wiring, because I want to replace the light/kill box with a CR killswitch and a 3 way switch under the plastic for the headlights. I also wanna put plug ins for additional lighting down the road when I can afford it.

So my question concerns the Dyna Ignition system. What are the changes I will see with this? I hear about programmable ignition curves. How does that work and what does the curve actually do? Does it really control how the power comes on?

Also, I searched abd found on another thread that you can make your own ignition maps with this box. How is that done..? With a computer?

GPracer2500
06-26-2006, 11:39 AM
I'm not sure how relevent this is, but I thought I'd throw it up just in case. This is a somewhat modded 450r (owned by OKTRX450R). It's a comparison of the ignition advance curves of a 450r Dynatek CDI. Clearly, some of the curves worked better on this bike than others...

http://www.rockinhorseweb.com/Dyna_Curves_Compared.jpg

pnut420
06-27-2006, 05:12 PM
If you run a nmotion pipe or a few other brands out there, they have tested different curves with the dyna and their exhaust, so if you go with their exhaust and order a dyna from them, they will reprogram the curve that works best with your style riding and you can select that curve, the stock curve and two additonal curves if you get the extra software or pay a company to program a curve. As far as coil, the 450r should be hot enough, but you might be able to improve it.

I have a nmotion pipe with the dyna and nmotions download and my quad revs out real nice, feels a little better all the way around, I had a GYTR on it before and the dyna seems better, Im rich on my jetting and havent got around to changing it, so after I do that it should be alot better than the gytr.

*edit* I didnt see you had a 250r, changing the coil should help on that.

pnut420
06-27-2006, 05:33 PM
If you have a 250r I would get the msd if you got the money, look on ebay here and there and you should find a descent deal on one. It has 4 times the spark energy as stock, so even with a dyna and any other coil out there you will not get the spark the msd has. It also gives multiple sparks down low and does about everything the dyna does and it comes with a coil, plug wire, etc... It is harder to install but if you are redoing your wiring its not that hard.

http://www.msdpowersports.com/2004_atv_2.html