PDA

View Full Version : 05 450r Idles But Won't Rev

GEARSMOKER
06-26-2006, 05:07 AM
here's thanking you all in advance. my 05 450r been having an issue. on race morings (i race cross country) after the quad sits out all night (we sleep in the trailer) i'll fire it up in the morning,and it runs fine,warm it up, and take it to the line.the whole time it's running perfect. on the dead engine start,it fires up fine and takes off. but, for two races in a row now it will make it aprox 300 yards and start sputtering. it runs on idle fine but give if any gas at all,and it will sputter and cut out. you can ride at a very slow idle,but that's it. the kicker is after sitting in the trailer for the 2+ hour ride home, i'll pull it out and it runs fine. wtf?? anything sound familiar?i've changed the plug,checked my kill switch, and looked at most the connections. any thoughts? thanks, sorry this is so long.

bpimpdaddy21
06-26-2006, 05:11 AM
I would pull the carb off and clean it. My 400ex did this once, and it turned out I had a small piece of dirt floating in the carb. It also ran fine at idle, but everytime you gave it gas, it would suck the dirt up into the main jet, and studder like crazy.

Like I said, my first thought would be junk in the carb.

Pappy
06-26-2006, 05:11 AM
mine exhinited this behavior, ended up being a small seed from a weed that was sucked into the carb thru a vent hose. might be a similiar problem.

GEARSMOKER
06-26-2006, 05:23 AM
thanks! keep em coming.:)

dead eye 00
06-26-2006, 09:13 AM
Mine did the same thing last saturday on the holeshot. I found a piece of sawdust in the float bowl that was blocking the main jet. You could start by just pulling off the 17mm nut on the bottom of your carb thats where mine was.

GEARSMOKER
06-26-2006, 09:42 AM
the only problem with the carb being the culprit is how it does it the excact same both times. if it were the carb wouldn't it run crappy all the time? i'm gonna tear my carb down tonight after work,so we'll see. any more suggestions would be great!:)

jlhughes750
06-26-2006, 10:39 AM
also check your vent tube on the gas cap. if its clogged or pinched it'll run fine till you rev it out... then it starves for gas!!

GEARSMOKER
06-27-2006, 11:37 AM
tore my carb down last night,found a sesame seed size piece of something in the bottom of the bowl. hopefully problem is solved. also got a good deal on another cdi box in case it was electical related.