PDA

View Full Version : The Ticking all the Sudden Stopped-Please Help

Sparks425Ex
08-15-2002, 10:51 AM
OK here it is:

I have never had ,my valves adjusted adn the other day my engine started ticking. So i quit riding it up untill today. I planned on adjusting my valves this week but then i talked to one of my friends that is head Mechainic for D and D racing. he said since i had never done it he could do it an show me how. We this weekend i was goign up to his houes to get it done. I am leaving tomarrow morning.

Today i put my quad back togeather for the truck ride. I wanted to started it just to make sure it still did. It started had becasue there was no gas in the carb.(I had the gas tank off) Once i got it started, everytime i reved it, it would blow smoke.(Has never done his) I sat there for a min just slowing reving it seeif the smoke would stop. Finally it did. I figured i would see if it was still ticking. I rode it down teh road listening and nuthign came. So i was like wow no more ticking.
Then i remembered:

The first tiem i took it apart to get ready to adjust the valves somone told me to see if the header to slip on connecioin was air tight. It wasn't so I siliconed it up. But i never started it after i siliconed it.

Could the silicone have made my valves go back to the way they were?

Why could the Ticking have stopped?

I now also hvae a loud scratching sound near my rear sproket. I adjusted the chain to correct play.(30mm-40mm) And the soudn went down but now it is a scratching sound like teh bearings have went.

Is that possible that hte bearing are gone or beat?

I also need a new clutch. Mine is beat. I can barley shift i have to slam the gears in. That is why I haven't been able to ride it i don't wanna ruin anything. And the clutch lever pull is wicked hard.

Can somone suggest a good clutch kit?

I would liek to get a Hinson one but they are to expensive. Anythig else is possible.

Thanks, Justin

That proly didn't amke much since, becasue i have had so many probs latley.

UglyMotha™
08-15-2002, 12:05 PM
i think the tickiny your heard just may have been your chain cause siliconing where slip on connects to the exhaust wont do anything to the valve the best it would do basically is seal up any exhaust leaks, which if you did have one that would cause a ticking sound but anyways a loose chain will often sound like lifters ticking also your bearings could have gone bad but take into consideration that there is a block on you swingarm which the chain slides on and that could produce a scraping sound