PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the carb

tg2398
06-25-2006, 10:24 PM
I recently had trouble starting my quad so i changed the plug and it still is giving me trouble so i want to clean out the carburetor. I just rlly dont know exactly what to do and it would really be appreciated if someone could help me. I have a 2001 400 EX. Thanks a lot...

bmurray
06-26-2006, 08:11 PM
remove it from the bike. remove the bowl. Unscrew the pilot and main jets. With a can of carb cleaner, and compressed air, blow through the holes of the jets and the carb body. Most likely you will find the pilot clogged. While you have it out and if it's a stock(38) pilot, replace it with a 40 or 42 pilot. It will start much easier when cold. Be careful with the compressed air, not to launch your parts into orbit.

Halter
06-26-2006, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by bmurray
. Be careful with the compressed air, not to launch your parts into orbit.

lol .... classic....known a kid who did this in shop class....biggest hunt for parts I ever seen

bmurray
06-26-2006, 08:25 PM
On my Lt250r, I launchrd the main across my shop. It shot out of my fingers like a .22 cal bullet. Do you know how hard it is to find something that small in a cluttered shop? Luckily I heard about where it landed, and I did find it. I'm a bit more careful now.