PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Air Box Problems.. NEED HELP!

Str8Wicked
08-15-2002, 08:55 AM
Yesterday I installed my aluminum airbox on my 400. After relocating the battery and wiring, etc. inside the box I went to fit the K&N filter in. CFM told me it will be a tight fit and might have to relocate a few things. So I start taking all the stuff back out and drilling new holes to mount. I had the + on the battery dissconnected but the ground was still connected. I was reaching tot he bottom of the air box to remove one lil box (think its the computor but who knows) and knocked a tool on the battery which hit the + side of the terminal and created a lil bit of fireworks if you know what I mean. Well anyways I went on installing the stuff and got everything to fit where I cans till easily remove if needed. I than went to start it and can not get anything. Not even the lights will go on. I checked the battery and there is a 12.5 volt in it so there is no prolem there.

I am wondering that when tapping the terminal of the battery do you think it may have shorted out that lil box. Or are there fuses located somewhere on the bike that may have blown.

I know if it is that little box I am going to have to put everything back to stock to get it covered through the warrenty.

let me know what you guys think.

Str8Wicked
08-15-2002, 08:57 AM
I also disconnected and re connected all the wiring to make sure that nothing ahd been pulled loose.

Texan32
08-15-2002, 09:11 AM
im at work, i can't tell you exactly where it is, but its item #23...look here...choose the "battery" in the left column
http://www.servicehonda.com/HARD%20PARTS/ATV/TRX400EX/trx400ex%20frames%20page.htm

Pappy
08-15-2002, 09:18 AM
check and replace the 2 fuses should take care of it

Str8Wicked
08-15-2002, 09:26 AM
The little box I am alking about is Listed as the RECTIFIER ASSY.,REGULATOR. The only other thing is that I believe the was the FUSE, BLADE. Also the wires for the rear tail lamp is cut but I doubt that will affect anything.

ANyone else come up with any idea's.

Let me know if you know anything else

Thanks for the info Texan

Str8Wicked
08-15-2002, 09:30 AM
check and replace the 2 fuses should take care of it

Do you know what size the two fuses are so I can go pick them up.

Texan32
08-15-2002, 11:55 AM
15 amp

Str8Wicked
08-15-2002, 12:15 PM
Thanks for all your help guys.

I will try to fix it tonight and if I succeed there will be pictures posted tomorrow of the install and my entire bike since I have only posted pics of this part that part...lol

08-15-2002, 12:25 PM
Well after installin my aluminum airbox and relocating the battery,,I had a hard time finding a good ground connection,,I was in the same boat as you,,I had to run an extended ground wire to a new location before it started working,,just a thought.

Str8Wicked
08-15-2002, 12:33 PM
Well I checked the ground at the sub frame where I connected and than to the batteries + side with my Volt meter and still got a nice 12.2 volts so the ground is good.

brian400ex
08-15-2002, 02:34 PM
I bet it is the fuse. Ther are two of them there, but one is a spare. I shorted my front headlight out somehow and it wouldn't start because i blown the fuse.

Str8Wicked
08-15-2002, 04:08 PM
Well I'll find out tonight and update tomorrow. hopefully that's the problem and it will be fixed.

Thanks for all the info guys...

mansonclubpuir
08-16-2002, 08:40 AM
definitally the fuse. I blew mine after a mean crash and it wouldn't start no head lights no nothing. I looked at the fuse and it was blown. check that out before you go crazy taking things apart...again.

Str8Wicked
08-16-2002, 09:58 AM
Well yesterday I went and checked the fuse and wouldn't you know it is was good. So I started checking wires, etc. and could find nothing.

Finally I decided to take Rico's advice and double check the ground which was reading good when I tested with my volt meter. I decided to ground down the metal anyways to get a beter ground and wouldn't you know it, it turned on.

Thanks again guys

Str8Wicked
08-16-2002, 09:59 AM
Another One

Str8Wicked
08-16-2002, 10:00 AM
and another

Str8Wicked
08-16-2002, 10:01 AM
last one.

BadA$$440
08-16-2002, 10:39 AM
Are u sure u checked the right fuse, there is two of them. Thats what it sounds like it could be.

Str8Wicked
08-16-2002, 10:48 AM
Read up about 3 post and you'll see I found the problem. It was the ground. The fuse was fine.

BadA$$440
08-16-2002, 12:07 PM
Oops, sorry, didnt read that one. So where did u get ur airbox from and how much did it cost?

Str8Wicked
08-16-2002, 12:11 PM
I bought it from CFM on E-bay. They just started making aluminum parts like the box, new oil tanks, and tie rods. The stuff is made really good and it looks to me that they can blow up if more people knew there name.

Here is a link to one there auctions.

Auction 4 Airbox (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1851959145)

I believe I paid like 125 for it but I notice they've been selling for more expensive lately. It beats paying 200 or more for another companies.

08-16-2002, 02:23 PM
glad ta here ya got it fixed...I could read a good ground,,hit the starter button and bam,,no ground reading,,took me a minute or 2 ta figure it out also....anywho....have you checked to make sure the aluminum box won't hit the swingarm, breakline or caliper when bottoming out the rear shock,,it looks pretty deep??? MIne angles up at the rear to keep this from happening..

Str8Wicked
08-16-2002, 02:27 PM
It looks good so far. I'm trying to borrow my cousins truck to take it out to AZUZA this weekend. If I do get to go than maybe I will be able to try it out.

If not I'll have to invite some very fat friends to come over. lol

OutlawEX
08-16-2002, 03:19 PM
Hey Str8wicked ,i got the same box and man that was a bitc.h installing everything in that...But hey I look at it this way its better to have it all snug than all loose so nothing flops around...I am a lil dissappointed tho about the airbox making it almost impossible to use a aftermarket seat latch...I got a KnK seat latch and I had to cut lil notches out so i can unlatch it..So if anyone gets this airbox i would suggest a OMF seat latch

Str8Wicked
08-16-2002, 03:20 PM
Good thing to know. I haven't even looked into getting an aftermarket seat latch... So most likely I won't start now. lol