PDA

View Full Version : Loose bolts in 06 engine??

Dune Surfer
06-25-2006, 11:08 AM
OK, Over at bluetraxx there are many post about bolts being loose in the 06 yfz engine. 8 out of ten people that checked found the same problem. The site is not working right now so I can't check it out. Has anyone else heard about this?? Do you know where the bolts are located and what is involved in fixing the problem.

parkers30
06-25-2006, 01:36 PM
http://www.gtthunder.com/YFZ450/2006YFZ450.htm

Dune Surfer
06-25-2006, 04:32 PM
Thats the link, Everybody might want to check thiers

06-25-2006, 08:38 PM
Mine where loose, tightend them right up.

drue4mpg
06-26-2006, 12:22 PM
do i need to drain the oil and take off the oil element housing and the whole cover to get to the idler bolts??? i cannot tell by the pic on the link and do not want to take it apart if i need to get supplies like oil a new element and posibley gaskets.....help please....i want to get the supplies i need befor i make this repair.

parkers30
06-26-2006, 02:14 PM
the bolts are under the starter cover and idler gears, should not need to drain the oil, just do it when the bike is cold it is an O ring seal, so just pop it off and check

400exriderman
06-29-2006, 06:10 PM
yea mine were loose

Dune Surfer
07-02-2006, 06:57 PM
I checked mine after a couple of hour of riding. They were tight, and they had bolts, not allen bolts. I took them out anyway and installed them with some locktight.
EVERYBODY CHECK THIERS!!! It is super easy. Take off the cover (two bolts) The gera comes out in one peice. Check the two bolts, put it back together. NO gasket required. Five minute job, Could save some damage.

Splatter Matter
07-03-2006, 10:31 AM
i had to put helicoils in my quad. the bolts just keep coming lose even with red loctight. now no problems.

Dune Surfer
07-06-2006, 04:10 PM
BUMP
This should be a sticky. Of the forums I have researched this is a VERY common problem

jshtex
07-06-2006, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Dune Surfer
BUMP
This should be a sticky. Of the forums I have researched this is a VERY common problem

This was pretty common knowledge a few months ago when the 06's were new. There were posts about it pretty much everywhere.

But I guess it has been long enough that the posts dropped down and as new folks buy 06's and start to check into possible problems with them the information rises to the top again.

The real question is why in the heck are the dealers letting the new quads leave the showrooms without checking it???

The other thing is has anyone seen any damage that could be attributed to the bolts either backing out (Into the starter gear) or falling out into the motor? I haven't heard of either and with all the loose bolts surely there sould be something.