PDA

View Full Version : gettin a laptop

TheFontMaster
06-24-2006, 08:59 PM
Well for my graduation present my parents are going to be getting me a laptop. So I'm just wondering what laptops you guys have and how you like them. I'm looking at ether a dell, or a mac if we can afford one. I would rather have a mac. And how much are the wireless internet things? I would like to have one where I can be able to cary the lap top all around the house without having to worry about the cord.

wvspeedfreak
06-24-2006, 09:13 PM
We have a Toshiba laptop.The wireless is sweet,I sit in front of the tv with it sometimes and surf the web during commercials lol.

JForestZ34
06-25-2006, 08:50 AM
First off who's going to be paying for it. Second what is it going to be used for, school, or gaming and school. I have a dell inspiron 6000. I love it really works good. I watch dvd's on it and just really surf the net. I got it with a 128 ATI graphics card so I might be able to play games on it but I don't think I'm really going to. I know they are way overpriced but if I had to do it over again I would get a alienware. I know I could make my own for alot cheaper and probably faster but right know I would say they are the meanest laptop you could buy right know. But if you only want one for just all around use, get a dell. I've never had any problems with either of mine in the past years.

James

Mean250r
06-25-2006, 08:53 AM
if its going to be used for school, deff. look at the HP tablet. You can write on it and ****. then put your notes directly onto word. I use it for school and it really helped during the school year

02Yellow400
06-25-2006, 09:00 AM
I just bought the new MacBook about 2 weeks ago. Its by far the best computer i have ever used. The battery life is amazing..about 4:45 minutes under normanl usuage. Its a 2.0 core duo. And since its intel based you are able to run windows if you feel like it. I was always a PC user but since i got this iw ill never go back.

WhiteYFZ
06-25-2006, 09:41 AM
MacBook or MacBook Pro mac is the way to go

MOFO
06-25-2006, 10:27 AM
I currently have a Dell Latitude D10 for work. If your using this for school, I would recommend this one. Plenty of power to run just about anything you need.

I would also recommend getting the additional battery that goes in the drive bay. With my monitor at a lower setting, using WiFi to surf the web, I usually get 6-7hours without having to be plugged in!

<DRS>GPF
06-25-2006, 11:21 AM
http://www.xpbargains.com/best_deal.php/laptop_deals.htm
id check there the day youre ready to buy.. prices are always moving and the deals always change..

set your spending limit and compare and dont let advertising sell you..

get XPpro for more versatilty.. a must for ease of logging onto domains..

minimum of 512mg..prefer 1gig or more, but the more you use the more power is consumed.. 1gig is a comfy spot..

most of the important software thats bundled(novell, help svc's, pkg'd online mfr. junk, etc.) will be useless in about 90day's and youll need to buy another subscription.. at least to the antivirus..

look for cost (mhz per dollar or PR"performance rating" per dollar).. about 3mhz per dollar or PR is great, but expect about 2mhz per dollar if you load it up..

warranty.. most will be a year, some will start at 3months.. weigh the cost of extending it.. 2yrs minimum if possible.

buy from a known outfit with good ratings.. online will get you your best options.. you can even shop/compare local electronics stores..(best buy, fry's etc..)

if you buy a 17" get the bigger battery(or a spare)... especially if youre doing cad or creating databases..

dont get one with intel video..(nvidia or ati only) a good GPU(graphics processing unit) can offload alot from the main processor and free up clock cycles..

they should all come with wireless and a router or WAP is only $30 to $50..

thats about all i could think of when i was looking..

TheFontMaster
06-25-2006, 04:35 PM
Thank guys for the help, but what are some of the prices I should be expecting to pay for some of these laptops.

Originally posted by JForestZ34
First off who's going to be paying for it. Second what is it going to be used for, school, or gaming and school.

My parents will be paying for it...mostly. I don't know what they are looking to spend, but if I find one thats more than what they will pay, I will be putting more money into it. And since I want some kind of high speed internet, and wireless internet, I'll be putting atleast that much into the computer.

jrspawn
06-25-2006, 08:36 PM
Hey, i just got the new Gateway MX6440 a couple weeks ago, by far the best laptop ive used. It has the New AMD Turion 64 in it with 1 gb mem., top of the line ATI Radeon graphics. Very nice setup. I would reccomend it.

Justin