PDA

View Full Version : rev box?

81 clark racing
06-24-2006, 06:44 PM
hey guys i am just wondering what the best rev box is for my 400ex i have got many mixed answers. so whats the best thanxs steve

400exstud
06-24-2006, 08:37 PM
In my opinion, you don't really need one with your mods. Your engine stopps making power before your stock rev box stops it anyway so there is really no need for one.

MarkyNark
06-24-2006, 10:43 PM
A good rev box will get you a 1-2 hp at most. There are lots of them, and actually there are some really good reasons to consider one.

1) For slightly built engines, the timing curves in most of these are a bit more advanced. That gives you some quicker acceleration.

2) Some have multiple curves. So, when running normally, you might choose the advanced curve. Then you can switch to something like a stock curve or even a retarded curve. non-advanced curves are nice if you run larger shots of nitrous or if you like more torque - some of them you can even switch on the fly.

3) rev limit. The stock rev limit is fine for a stock motor. But if you build it up, that will push the power band up. Then you end up running into the rev limit. Add nitrous, you are going to widen the power curve on both ends by at least 500 RPM. So thats a good time to consider one as well.

I dont have the Vortex yet for the 400EX. I've run it on other quads and its my favorite - you got 10 curves built in that and lots of choices - you can even switch between two of the curves on the fly.

Right now, I run a stock curve with a rev limited raised by 1000 RPM. Its good for my application.

stc416rider
06-25-2006, 03:08 PM
do you think my quad will benefit from a rev box

MarkyNark
06-25-2006, 07:04 PM
What are the types of riding you do?

Iliketogofast
06-25-2006, 08:31 PM
The White Bros. and Big Gun boxes suck big balls. They cause starting issues with most bikes.

MarkyNark
06-25-2006, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Iliketogofast
The White Bros. and Big Gun boxes suck big balls. They cause starting issues with most bikes.

The EX does not like too much advance at idle. The Procomm box for the DS has issues with that as well. However, there are a miriad of other boxes out there, that work well depending on the application.