PDA

View Full Version : stripped stud need help

redracing88
06-24-2006, 04:28 PM
my 440ex well heres the story the front nut came loose that holds the cylider head to the jug. well i thought it blew a gasket it didnt. so i took it apart i already had a new gasket so i fugurd y not put it in. so as i was putting it in i started torqueing the nuts to the stud that hold the head on. well i got to about 30 and it started pulling the stud outa the head. it happend before and we put a helicoil kit in it. it pulled that out this time. now i was talking to the motorcycle shop and they said they would put a time lock or something in it i forget what they called it.is it possible that i could find a long bold drill the head bigger tap the block to the right size and then torqe the bolt down and have success? plzz help me on this one.

any advice would be great.

GPracer2500
06-24-2006, 05:02 PM
They're called Time-Serts. They're similar to a Heli-Coil but a solid, threaded bushing instead of a "coil". They are stronger and better than Heli-Coils.

I'd re-tap all four studs (with a roll form tap, not a cutting tap) and install heavy duty studs. The stock studs pulling out the cylinder is a common problem on turned-up EXs.

DAVE14
06-25-2006, 12:58 PM
I ve been through the same thing with gt thunder studs , but one pulled outta the helicoil I had in an old cyl. I bought already sleeved to a 440 with a piston with almost no hours but it had a previous problem pulling studs from the guy i bought it from so I wisely kept my old 400 cyl. with good studs & no thread damage resleaved /drilled & tapped it & I only have 1 bad stud now Ill either have to wait for new ones or get one made I chased the threads & cleaned up the stud & it threads well but the few bottom threads arent as sharp , crisp as the others where it was pullin so I dont think I should reuse it

DAVE14
06-25-2006, 01:13 PM
I ve been through the same thing with gt thunder studs , but one pulled outta the helicoil I had in an old cyl. I bought already sleeved to a 440 with a piston with almost no hours but it had a previous problem pulling studs from the guy i bought it from so I wisely kept my old 400 cyl. with good studs & no thread damage resleaved /drilled & tapped it & I only have 1 bad stud now Ill either have to wait for new ones or get one made I chased the threads & cleaned up the stud & it threads well but the few bottom threads arent as sharp , crisp as the others where it was pullin so I dont think I should reuse it