PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Asap!

motoxgirl419
06-24-2006, 09:08 AM
We need all the help we can get please. My daugher has gone through 3 transmission gears in one month. We seem to be able to get through the practice and heat race, then it usually breaks on the main. Does anyone have any suggestions as to why this would happen.
My daughter races her heart out and doesnt seem to get to ever finisha race. It's so upsetting.....
Any help would be greatly appreciated. THANK YOU!
( she has a 90 Eton Viper)

400ex4ever
06-24-2006, 10:34 AM
Only thing I has seen that has been the cause of transmission failing. Is jumping and keeping the gas on while in the air. Then landing. This puts the tranny under so much stress, it usually breaks off some teeth. Other then that, we have never had a problem.

LT80
06-25-2006, 07:25 AM
Ditto. :)

motoxgirl419
06-25-2006, 07:44 AM
We have been taking her out to practice so we can listen while she jumps and it doesnt sound like she is. It's hard to tell but my husband and I both agree that if she is we cant hear it.
So I dont know.....???

blasteracer24
06-25-2006, 08:45 AM
dont have her run practice the day of the race just the qualifier and the main.

wvspeedfreak
06-25-2006, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by blasteracer24
dont have her run practice the day of the race just the qualifier and the main.

She shouldn't have to do that.There is obviously something going on and needs fixed.My son tore his transmission out earlier this year and he was always on the gas in the air and landing.He has since learned to let off the gas in the air and so far we haven't broken any more.I would think at the rate your child is going through transmissions there may be something else going on.

LT80
06-25-2006, 11:29 AM
I agree w/ wvspeedfreak.
Something bent? Using a high shear strength oil? Chain tensioned correctly (possibly causing a slap in the gears)?

Ya-ya,,no practice. That'll fix it. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :blah: Is this June fools day? It's not April dude!:devil: :devil:
LMAO

Livin4Real
06-25-2006, 05:02 PM
Redline Shockproof tranny oil, the best.

motoxgirl419
06-25-2006, 07:43 PM
Thank you everyone for your replies. We are checking into several different options. We are going to go through it with a fine tooth comb, if you know what i mean. We just want her to be able to finish a race. I'll let ya know what comes of it, or if we need more help. Thanks again.

newnick
06-26-2006, 06:38 AM
What kind of rear tires are you running?

BradLoomis
06-26-2006, 11:41 AM
Check underneath the tranny to make sure the case is not cracked and allowing the needle bearing to move. The thinnest part of the tranny housing is directly underneath the main output shaft. Have the housing area filled in by a competant welder and it will stop the main shaft from being able to to flex away from the idler gear. Replace all the bearings and seals when you replace the gears. You can go to any bearing/seal company in your area and get better bearings and seals, cheaper, than factory replacements. Fill the tranny gears with a quality 80 - 125 wt gear lube to just over the idler gear that you can see with the fill plug out. This will help cushion the gears from slapping against each other. The tanny will puke out the excess oil that it doesn't want in it through the overflow tube. I top our bikes off before every race. There are other things you can do also, PM me if you would like any more suggestions.

motoxgirl419
06-27-2006, 04:57 AM
Originally posted by newnick
What kind of rear tires are you running?

Stock fronts and 16 in. snow hogs on the rear. ( i believe)

motoxgirl419
06-27-2006, 05:03 AM
Originally posted by BradLoomis
Check underneath the tranny to make sure the case is not cracked and allowing the needle bearing to move. The thinnest part of the tranny housing is directly underneath the main output shaft. Have the housing area filled in by a competant welder and it will stop the main shaft from being able to to flex away from the idler gear. Replace all the bearings and seals when you replace the gears. You can go to any bearing/seal company in your area and get better bearings and seals, cheaper, than factory replacements. Fill the tranny gears with a quality 80 - 125 wt gear lube to just over the idler gear that you can see with the fill plug out. This will help cushion the gears from slapping against each other. The tanny will puke out the excess oil that it doesn't want in it through the overflow tube. I top our bikes off before every race. There are other things you can do also, PM me if you would like any more suggestions.

Thanks for the great advice. I know we are waiting on a new motor and gonna replace the whole transmission. I guess the case was needing to be replaced as well. We also bought a tranny saver from WRH racing. I was told this should help keep everything from moving around so much.
After we get this all put together, we are gonna replace all the bearings/seals, and case in the motor she has now. We dont want her to miss out on any races in the meantime.
we'll take your advice and ask send ya a pm if we have more questions. Thanks alot.

QuadJunkies
06-28-2006, 12:32 AM
been there.... done that... and I TOTALLY agree with all said...ALOt has to so with on the gas and landings...

We have since upgraded to SCR 's tranny saver and have been problem free(KNOCK ON WOOD!!)on BOTH our minis(Eton and Kases)...I know Markvette had good luck as well.

I HIGHLY RECCOMEND...I think you will be happy with the Saver,it was worth your investment.

Heres some discussion on the topic...

Tina

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=214578&highlight=EEEWWWW

motoxgirl419
06-28-2006, 01:40 PM
Yea I'm hoping this saver will help. Thanks Tina, when I'm not at work I'll sit down and read more on it.
:D

markvette
06-28-2006, 08:35 PM
tina
i helped her out on another forum ( im quaddad over there ). also turned her on to the tranny saver. we have broke no more trannies since its install. we did just break the frame in half at practice 2 weeks ago though. if it can be broke bubba will break it.. i have a new frame on the way. bubba only has 3 more months on the mini as he will be 13 then and the local tracks cut you off then. we are poor people and cant afford to run nationals so the mini will be up for sale then. the 300ex is just now getting under way for his next race machine. so if anyone is looking for a very fast mini with a lot of good parts and race a class over 90cc bubbas eton will be for sale in a couple of months.

Mark

QuadJunkies
06-28-2006, 11:29 PM
LOL.. kids are hard on them poor minis arent they ... :o :p