PDA

View Full Version : quest. about my new Z

zlam27
06-24-2006, 08:34 AM
i just bought a used 05' Z-400 yesterday and i was wondering what i should know right off the bat about these quads? i had 400ex and knew that thing really well but now its on to a newer, different sport quad (ill probably get a clymer soon). when is the first service and what does it include (new Z only has ~10 hours on it). is there a recall on the 05's because i need to get that done ASAP if there is.

also, anyone know if the Z-400 and the 400ex use the same airfilter? thanks a lot.

zach

yellowzo3
06-24-2006, 08:43 AM
well the oil should have been changed by now and clean the air filter etc...yes the 2005 Z400's have the recall i would get that done asap dont even ride it yet. clean it up real nice and check the frame out for cracks and things like that. im pretty sure the 400 ex and Z400 dont use the same air filter. they probably have different mounting desings so they wouldnt be interchangeable. however, the 400ex airboot does work on them. the main difference is that the Z is watercooled and has a fan. IMO i would take it to the dealer to get the recall taken care of and do all the rest of the work myself. dealers are a rip off and im sure you can change oil and clean air filters and things like that. just take your time and thats the best way to learn about your quad also. Congrats on your new ride :cool: ...you should be very happy with it, theyre great quads and awesome in the trails.

zlam27
06-24-2006, 11:57 AM
yea, i know how to do all my own maint. and stuff - and i NEVER take it to the dealer. i adjust my own valves and stuff, i would even do the recall myself but i doubt they would give the me the cover and oil for it.

can i check the cover myself or does that require a lot of work to get at it? if its not bad i would just switch to Evans coolant because i have some here anyway.

thanks for the help so far.

zach

yellowzo3
06-24-2006, 12:01 PM
im not sure how hard it is. my Z is an 03 so ive never had to really inspect that closely. i would get the cover totally changed out while your putting new coolant in. yeah youll probably have to take it there since it is a recall. they will probably want to check it out themselves. most everything else is pretty straightfoward on a Z like most other quads. you just have to get to know it.

wreckdiver
06-25-2006, 04:50 AM
Do yourself a favor and avoid the Clymer, get the factory service guide. Far better investment!