PDA

View Full Version : Blaster clutch help...fast.

jsmith2232
06-23-2006, 07:28 PM
My buddies brother just put in new plates and springs in his blaster. Now when the motor is running the lever seems to do nothing as far as disengaging or engaging but when we kick it into gear with the tires off the ground they spin around a couple times and come to a stop. the lever has a very light pull and there is a bit more resistance when pushing the quad in neutral then when in gear with the motor off but not enough to turn over the motor. if someone can help me out trouble shooting this that'd be awesome. thanks.

JoE4554
06-23-2006, 08:09 PM
ive never put in a new clutch...ba maybe a plate is backwards or maybe a spring is backwards.

So here's a link of how a clutch should be put in:

http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/oem_schematic_view~schem_dept_id~1120044~section_d ept_id~1~section_dept_name~OEM+%28Stock%29+Parts~d ept_type_id~2~model_dept_year~2005~model_dept_mfr~ Yamaha~model_dept_id~1119502~model_dept_name~YFS20 0T+BLASTER.asp

wdodge
07-03-2006, 08:08 PM
I just made the same clutch repair - Clymer instructions appear to be terrific, but, don't cover everything. If you followed directions regarding parts inspection while dis-assembled, soaking of the new plates/fibers in oil prior to installation, and clutch lever position adjustment via push rod adjustment, there must be something very unusual or wrong regarding re-assembly. Forgive me if you know all this, but, there are 3 pieces to the push rod: one rod [w/threaded end] that attaches to the clutch pressure plate, a ball bearing, and an other rod [unthreaded]. If any of these 3 pieces fell out or was not re-installed, that could explain the lever not working. [the ball bearing is something that is very easy to loose during clutch repairs] Aslo, if the threaded rod was not properly adjusted for the new, thicker plates/fibers, the lever will not work properly. Another matter is the smoothness of the sides of the clutch basket fingers/grooves - clutch operation creates intentations on the sides of the fingers of the outer basket and on the grooves of the inner basket. This wear causes the fibers and plates to hang-up and not move away from oneanother when clutch lever is depressed.
Hope this helps and not too late - I am curious to know if/how you fixed this dilemma!