PDA

View Full Version : Clicking in tranny

00vdub
06-23-2006, 02:24 PM
Got a click in the tranny in second gear when i'm on the quad, but it doesn't do it if it's up on a jack stand or something. What's the deal?

Rip_Tear
06-23-2006, 03:45 PM
when you're in second and riding, there is a clicking sound, but when it's on a stand and you're running second it doesn't click. Correct?

I have no idea what it is, but I thought I'd clarify.

Bill Fuller
06-23-2006, 05:10 PM
Depending on the year and your riding habbits It could be many things.If this is an older 400EX I would say you need a transmission rebuild.I have had to replace 2nd gear on both 400EX's I have owned.I use my clutch alot in the woods and rarely shift without it.I have known many people who hace had to rebuild the tranny.They are strong,but I feel this was the only weak part of the 400EX motor.Don't get me wrong ,I still say the 400EX is the most reliable ATV out there.In all situations the 400's had been raced (XC) but I have read of non racers also having this occure.If it is noticable I would stop riding and find out what the problem is before I tore something up bad.Are you sure your valve lash is in spec?When was the last time you changed the timing chain.Are you running good gas,it could be predetonation(SP)if you are not running the specified octane for your compression(If you have changed pistons).

Hope this helps.

00vdub
06-23-2006, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Rip_Tear
when you're in second and riding, there is a clicking sound, but when it's on a stand and you're running second it doesn't click. Correct?

I have no idea what it is, but I thought I'd clarify.
yes, that is right.

00vdub
06-23-2006, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Bill Fuller
Depending on the year and your riding habbits It could be many things.If this is an older 400EX I would say you need a transmission rebuild.I have had to replace 2nd gear on both 400EX's I have owned.I use my clutch alot in the woods and rarely shift without it.I have known many people who hace had to rebuild the tranny.They are strong,but I feel this was the only weak part of the 400EX motor.Don't get me wrong ,I still say the 400EX is the most reliable ATV out there.In all situations the 400's had been raced (XC) but I have read of non racers also having this occure.If it is noticable I would stop riding and find out what the problem is before I tore something up bad.Are you sure your valve lash is in spec?When was the last time you changed the timing chain.Are you running good gas,it could be predetonation(SP)if you are not running the specified octane for your compression(If you have changed pistons).

Hope this helps.

It is a 2002. I trail ride quite a bit, go fast quite a bit, just really depends. It hasn't ever been raced or anything, and it hasn't ever been givin hell, but I do "ride" it. Any idea on how much a tranny rebuild is?

QuadJunkies
06-23-2006, 08:57 PM
A full rebuild?? Ya dont wanna know!!!:o

I would say about 47.00 PER gear... You most def have a bent shift fork and the reason why you dont hear it on a stand it cause your not puting any load under the Tranny when on the Stand..

I would tear it COMPLETLY down, inspect your dogs and shift forks. If you lose a piece off of 2nd, you could take out the whole tranny.. Its NOT worth it

I lost 1st and 2nd ,those gears take the most punishment and if you run a Big bore like I do ,it adds even MORE load on the Tranny. Ive had to replace 1st and 2nd(common gears on the 400ex) twice now and I dont mis-shift much.

Just do your self a favor and inspect it thoughly....;)

Tina