PDA

View Full Version : Bad bearings make chain loosen?

Warrioreater400ex
06-23-2006, 12:25 PM
hey guys i searched and couldnt find the answer, last time my chain kept loosening my carrier was just SHOT, so i replaced it with a new bearing carrier, that was a while ago but i havent ridden tons, so the carrier is still fairly new, well i know the bearings are bad due to how loose the axle is, so the question is, can the bearing being bad cause the carrier to rotate forward and loosening the chain? because the carrier looks fine and i would obviously much rather pay 80 for bearings that 250 for a new carrier... thanks!

06-23-2006, 02:18 PM
my guess is to replace berings b/c it sounds like that the bearings are so shot that your axil has play in it causing it to lossen your chain

Scro
06-23-2006, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by pimpin416ex
my guess is to replace berings b/c it sounds like that the bearings are so shot that your axil has play in it causing it to lossen your chain

That's what it sounds like to me as well. Also check to make sure, your carrier bolts are tight.

terko440
06-23-2006, 03:02 PM
If you know your bearings are shot they can still keep wearing down to nothing which would allow your chain to keep loosening.

Pappy
06-23-2006, 03:12 PM
i would make sure your axle lock nut hasnt loosened. It's the #1 culprit when there is movement in the rear end

Bill Fuller
06-23-2006, 04:56 PM
My thoughts exactly.I bet the axle nut is loose.After you get it fixed or tightened I would recommend wrapping the axle nut with black elctrical tape to keep it tight.This tip also helps to keep the threads safe and clean.;)

brian-250
06-23-2006, 08:22 PM
One way to check, lift the back of the quad up, try sliding the axel side to side, if it goes side to side, axel nut is loose, if it dosent and just wiggle back and fourth bearings are most likely wore out.

QuadJunkies
06-23-2006, 08:52 PM
I agree with all the info that has already been mentioned . All VERY good posibilities

Warrioreater400ex
06-25-2006, 10:36 AM
thanks guys, put new bearings in, and while i was at it new chain and front sprocket ( chewed a tooth off when chain came off) and my rear end feels as good as new... i can actually ride a wheelie striaght now.