PDA

View Full Version : Sponsorships

Pappy
06-23-2006, 10:35 AM
I get requests non stop to sponsor riders, and I usually do something for just about anyone. But my mind got to thinking of other companies and how they work thier sponsorships.

I have seen alot of people sponsored by a company only to be running thier competitors parts etc. I was just curious about how everyone feels sponsorships should work etc..

1. What discount levels should different level of riders get?

2. What or how is the most important aspect of picking sponsored riders and deciding what level they should obtain

3. At what point do you call out a sponsored rider when they are caught running a competitors product?

4. Should it be stated on a full sponsorship that at any point you are caught using a competitors product that you then become financially liable for the products you have recieved?

5. Does everyone contact thier sponsors showing thier results and provide pictures/video etc of thier racing and results?

Quad18star
06-23-2006, 11:01 AM
I used to get a ton of riders looking for sponsorships at work also . We had everything from first year riders to national champions riding on our team . Here's how we used to work it out .

1. Amature riders would be classified according to their rankings for discounts . First year riders with no previous experience ( results) would get a 10% discount on products . The btter the rider , the better the discount . Guys that constantly finished well would usually get our cost price . Our National riders got free stuff .

2. We demanded that our riders always presented themselves in a professional manner , that they be neat in appearance . We asked from pictures or video of their pit areas , their machines , their tow vehicles . Skill level and finishes decided their amount of sponsorship .

3. At any time that our sponsored riders were caught running a competitors product , their sponsorship ended . If we don't sell , you don't run it unless previous approval has been granted .

4. All our riders signed contracts and yes if we ended their sponsorship for something that did not conform to the contract , the rider was liable for the expenses . It was in bold print !!!!

5. We demanded official race results along with action photos , still shots , rider shots , rider profiles at season end . We also included in the contract that the rider gives the company permission to use the results , photos or videos in any type of advertisment . Our riders had their pictures published in our annual catalogues and TV commercials .

stoled_400_:(
06-23-2006, 11:09 AM
1. I think the levels should be determined by how good of a rider the person is and the amount of experience. so if you've been racing for 5 years, you should get better discounts than a first year racer, becuase you know that this person is dedicated and will be at all the races showing off your products, while for all you know the person who is in their first year of racing is going to give up two races into the season, and you'll be getting no advertisment.

2. i think that a racer who has good results (or if they've never raced) a decent video of them showing their skills so that you know you'll be sponsoring somebody good, and make sure their letter or resume is written with a positive attitude, because if they're positive, then that's how they'll convey your products to fans and customers.

3. If something broke right before a race or something, and the only thing available is someone else's product, i don't think its a big deal for them to run their stuff for a race, becuase not racing will hurt more.

4. I think this one's kind of a gray area, because if (like #3) its just for a race, then no. but if it happens over and over, then yes. you'll be the one who has to decide when they've crossed the line

5. Most certainly. How else are you supposed to know your products are being seen by potential customers??

xsr_racing28c
06-23-2006, 12:06 PM
Ken,
The way i look at it is that when you give someone the oppotunity to run a product of yours, it is almost as if you are hiring someone to promote your product for you. I am not a firm believer that you should always go with the best possible rider out there, because 9 outta 10 times they may not be the riders who actually appreciate it enough to go out of his or her way to advertise the product given to them.
I myself would be more than thrilled to have someone stick behind me and showcase parts for someone knowing that you or whoever is standing behind me and believing in me to do well. I always thought that sponsorships should be worked for and not given, and i think that alot of people don't work for them as much as some should.
Being my first season racing TT/Flattrack here is Wisconsin, I havn't felt like it is right for me to ask for any help from anyone seeing as i don't have the enough time into the sport for someone to know how serious i am about racing. Though i have gotten a few trophies and taken home a #1 plate at the North Central Dirttrack National, i still would feel outta place asking for money or help to pay for things yet.

As far as catching someone running a competitors product, i think that it is only right for you to pull a sponsorship, and take all given items back. I just can't believe someone would do that.

Pappy, if you want someone to promote and showcase your products and skill in powdercoating, I would be thrilled to have your support. :)

Hope this helped you out a little bit.. If you interested in having a dirttacker advertise for you, let me know!!!!

Thanks man, Jay

quadgod440ex
06-23-2006, 02:35 PM
Im not sure if u guys are always out there to sponser someone but ive been looking for a sponser for a while and i just havnt found one yet. I raced at budds creek on fathers day weekend , i took first on the national track and then on saturday night i took first on the supercross track , really suprised my self . ive been practicing alot on my local track ( Atco Raceway ) ive been wanting to race a complete season . But i dont really have the suspension setup for my bike to hold up a complete season . Well if u guys are interested in any type of sponsering let me know . I raced quad B came in first in that and 3rd over all out of the A riders on the national track then on the supercross track i took first and then took 2nd over all with the A riders .
Thanks alot
Steve

ohh my bike is an 05 450r
+2 burgard A arms
Rpm dominator +4 axle
Full two brother exhaust
Itp baja fronts with holeshot mx's
Stock 400ex rear tires on stock rims
Ac nerfs
Tag bars
ASV clutch lever
other than that stuff the quad is stock , and im deffinatly looking for some decent upgrades so i can compete with some more pros .