PDA

View Full Version : stocks

Warnerade
06-22-2006, 04:59 PM
would it be smart to start investing in a few stocks? I am looking into Boeing, Apple, and Energy Conversion Devices...putting 10, 10, and 50 into each stock a month...

Anything i should know or be aware of?

JOEX
06-22-2006, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by NacsRacer027
would it be smart to start investing in a few stocks? I am looking into Boeing, Apple, and Energy Conversion Devices...putting 10, 10, and 50 into each stock a month...

Anything i should know or be aware of?
I don't know alot about purchasing stocks directly but most often there's a minimum share purchase. If you want to do a monthly investment mutual funds may be something to look into. That's what i've been doing since about 1992.

They say a 'no load' fund is better, has to do with upfront fees. Not sure on the details because I was a bit more gullible back then and probably paid more than I should have.

The sooner you start saving the better, the growth will be minimal for possibly many years but as time goes on compounding has a dramatic effect.

I sure miss those years of 30%+ annual returns:ermm: :p

derekhonda
06-22-2006, 09:53 PM
Look into a Roth IRA. Put untaxed money in, earn interest (tax free) and you can pull it out for school, house, or when you are 60 for retirement. (you can pull it out earlier, but then you pay tax on the money you pull out, plus a penalty)

JOEX
06-22-2006, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by derekhonda
Look into a Roth IRA. Put untaxed money in, earn interest (tax free) and you can pull it out for school, house, or when you are 60 for retirement. (you can pull it out earlier, but then you pay tax on the money you pull out, plus a penalty)
I belive the money put into a Roth IRA has been taxed. There isn't a deduction available for contributions but 'earnings' are untaxed.

A brief summery
http://www.fairmark.com/rothira/roth101.htm

Pappy
06-22-2006, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by derekhonda

deffinatley go a roth ira, or any good mutual fund.

try and set some aside for the stock market that you can afford to loose, do some studying in the biomedical fields and go for it. (thier stocks tend to soar, and the info on the companies and thier research is available for those willing to do some homework)

in any event...very glad to see a young man saving something, sure wish i would have:p

Aceman
06-22-2006, 11:14 PM
I got nudged into investing when I was 18 by a friend. I even was in an investment club for awhile until I moved. Good way to learn a lot about stocks, investments, etc. I agree with a Roth IRA as well. They tax the money when you put it in but you can take it out years later with interest tax free. I, personally use Ameritrade for buying/selling stocks. You can't beat the amount of money earned when you start saving early around 18 or so. You're years ahead of the game.

Warnerade
06-23-2006, 12:53 AM
I did some research and i figured i could spend no more than 100 a month right now...The energy conversion devices is a big and upcoming compnay, they mass produce solar panels, and are almost ready to do so. I should know, they just paid the shop i work at 7 million dollars for their first line of machines, and just ordered 2 more lines...Their stock is going for about 34 dollars right now, and thats cheap for them...I have my account setup to deposit 50 bucks a month into that company..is that even worth my time?

I just have 10 dollars going into Boeing and 10 dollars going into Apple...

I am hoping after a few years I will start making a few bucks, it sure would be nice...but I'll just have to see what it does after a few months.

but ya pappy...my dad taught me to save my money, putting all of my graduation money into my savings, and about 200 a month as well...He said dont invest in stocks becuase it is un-insured money, and he lost a lot of money when 9/11 came around...but I figured a little bit each month wont hurt.

derekhonda
06-23-2006, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by JOEX
I belive the money put into a Roth IRA has been taxed. There isn't a deduction available for contributions but 'earnings' are untaxed.

A brief summery
http://www.fairmark.com/rothira/roth101.htm

Yeah...crap you are right. I dumped about 1500 in one a couple years ago when I had some extra money, havn't put any in since :(

I've always figured I'll win the lottery anyways :devil:

Iliketogofast
06-23-2006, 09:33 AM
I definately reccomend Apple. They're goin nowhere but up. The new 6G iPod is coming out in a few months, as well as a new, higher capacity Nano. Their MacBooks are doing really well too, and it's about time for another desktop from them.