PDA

View Full Version : just got hipers - help please

sunco
06-22-2006, 04:54 PM
I had to get the right 12pt 3/8 socket. I only have one. I see you need one for the back also. Should I separate the wheel to put the tire on? soap & water & a bar - thats all I need?

DJJ450r
06-22-2006, 06:36 PM
You dont seperate the wheel to get it on, you put it on just like normal aluminum rims except the tire needs to be on the outside of the rim on both sides, and you dont need 2 12p 3/8 sockets, you can put one ring on at a time. Hope this helps:)

sunco
06-22-2006, 09:28 PM
I think I have it wrong. Tonite I was trying to do the fronts only. I slipped on the tire all the way. Its looks like if I didn't slip the tire down over the wheel then the ring wouldn't make it. When do you put the ring on? Before you fill it with air ? Does the ring make the seal so air stays in to seat the tire? So many ?'s - They should have directions for 1st time users.

JOEX
06-22-2006, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by sunco
I think I have it wrong. Tonite I was trying to do the fronts only. I slipped on the tire all the way. Its looks like if I didn't slip the tire down over the wheel then the ring wouldn't make it. When do you put the ring on? Before you fill it with air ? Does the ring make the seal so air stays in to seat the tire? So many ?'s - They should have directions for 1st time users.
The ring will hold the outer bead/tire inplace, it will clamp the bead/tire to the rim to hold it. The tire just floats there until the ring is inplace. Put the ring on before you fill with air. Airing up the tire should 'pop' (seat) the inner bead into place, I think around 30-40psi. Using soap or WD-40 on the bead will be helpful.

sunco
06-23-2006, 04:52 AM
Beaver - I love the Beaver - There are so many ways to have Beaver. Hey good info. I'll try it again. Now I need to take the ring off & pull the tire back out- then put the ring on w/o air. Then fill. Thanx I'll be back & let ya know how that works.

ohsobad_chevy
06-23-2006, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by sunco
Beaver - I love the Beaver

Don't we all...Don't we all!! :D :D

sunco
06-23-2006, 07:22 PM
JOEX , I did as you said & got the two fronts done. Thanx. Now I had to try & locate a tork wrench so I can set them to the proper specs.

sunco
06-24-2006, 08:09 AM
I got the torque wrench - doing 10 ft lbs & two of the bolts just spin - (stripped?) I took one out & I can only tell that the treads on the bolt is good. Can't see in the rim part because you can't see that deep. The other bolt won't come out - it just spins. What my solution? Anyone had this problem? Just call the place I bought them from & there gonna send out a new half. Sucks to buy something new & then its broke. Will I ever get to try my new tires & wheels out? I talked about getting them for so long & when I finally ordered them I had to wait what seems like forever. I gotta get back to riding & putting that $3.25 a gallon gas in her.

x.system
06-24-2006, 04:03 PM
When I got my new hipers I noticed they had burs on a few of the thread inserts. I took a few minutes to take all those burs off so they wouldn't get down in the thread and lock up the bolt. All I did was use a 1/4" ratchet and tighten them in a cross pattern until they were all snug then go around the wheel until they were tight going about a half turn at a time. With a 1/4" ratchet you can feel when they are tight if you do alot of wrenching.

sunco
06-25-2006, 03:27 PM
Thanx - They all were good & tight on the way down when tightening, But when I got towards the bottom I could tell something was wrong. Hipers getting the problem fixed by sending me a new half of the front wheel. They said this problem has a 1 year warranty.