PDA

View Full Version : 450 R tips and tricks

spdracer71
06-22-2006, 12:30 PM
I am a new Proud owner of a 05 Honda 450R. Could I get some help give me some information that I might need to know OR might experience/encounter down the road???? Specificly MOTOR information.
-Any timing chain/gear/slider issues??
-Any valve issues??
-Any must do's OR must haves???
-Any DON"T
-What are some Hot set-ups to get some HP out of the motor??
Pretty much any info. will be helpful so thanks alot everybody!!!

I know all bikes have there own little quirks, so I kinda want to get a jump on the gun before stuff starts happening.

red2004 TRX450R
06-22-2006, 01:05 PM
don't give it any gas when kicking over!!! will brake your leg or crack the case.

cut air box like HRC lid, pipe and rejet. cam.

if not using for MX adjust the rear rebound full H / Slow and take some compression out of it to S. then adjust the fronts.

use a good oil in the moter side and use a trans/gear oil in the trans, Honda red bottle

may want to go one tooth down on front sprocket.
Check the valves some time.

ride hard!!!

tltcracing
06-22-2006, 03:07 PM
they biggest thing i can stess is change the oil and change it offten. make sure it is the right level (i like mine right at the very top so you can only see a little bubble of air. and dont forget the trans oil, its just as important (i change mine at the same time as the motor). get your oil filter from an online site not form the dealer. dealer may cost upwards of $15 but you can get them online for around $6. i change the filter every other oil change. have the valves checked twice a year (mine are still spot on two years after i bought it and i think it beacuase i change the oil so much but its just nice to know they are where they need to be). give the quad a once over before you ride, every time, and after (preferably after you wash it). this is a race quad remember and it needs a little more attention than a normal quad. hope that hives yuo some pointers and good job on getting a honda. ride red.

roundsy
06-22-2006, 08:41 PM
first off like everyone else has said change the oil frequently....and possibly go down a tooth on the front sprocket...some ppl have done this and it has solved most of the too tall of gearing issue soem were having....get used to the power and the ride of it and then i after your comfortable with it i would suggest an HRC kit, and revavled shocks....the quad will feel like a whole new toy again...and that feeling always brings a smile to my face ;)

spdracer71
06-23-2006, 06:59 AM
How often do you have to change timing chain/cam sprocket???

-Any hop-ups for the vavles??

-Also how often do you change timing chain sliders......is there any problems with those things????

-WHat about the crank....I have heard that cranks have been going out shortly after boughten???

- I have also heard of weak transmissions in the 06 models...Does this apply in the 04-05 models also

Any other weak points in the motor??

red2004 TRX450R
06-23-2006, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by spdracer71
How often do you have to change timing chain/cam sprocket???

-Any hop-ups for the vavles??

-Also how often do you change timing chain sliders......is there any problems with those things????

-WHat about the crank....I have heard that cranks have been going out shortly after boughten???

- I have also heard of weak transmissions in the 06 models...Does this apply in the 04-05 models also

Any other weak points in the motor??

Don't worry about any of that!!

gbcap
06-23-2006, 09:39 AM
check the valve clearence every once in a while.

can't do much about the crank bearings till they go unless you want to tear your motor apart now and just replace them so it doesn' happen. seems like a lot of work to me when you might go 100 hours before it goes. i have atleast that much on two motors and no problems yet.

you can get better valve springs but no need unless you up the cam or the rev box.

the 04-05 trans have a false neutral problem, they like to shift into N inbetween gears sometimes if you don't FULLY engage the shift. and sometimes they are hard to put in N. ATP transmissions makes a fix for this for 250 bucks. makes a world of a difference. I am doing it with mine when i get it torn apart here soon.

DirtDevilBT
06-28-2006, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by gbcap
the 04-05 trans have a false neutral problem, they like to shift into N inbetween gears sometimes if you don't FULLY engage the shift. and sometimes they are hard to put in N. ATP transmissions makes a fix for this for 250 bucks. makes a world of a difference. I am doing it with mine when i get it torn apart here soon.

Huh? can u elaborate?:confused:

tltcracing
06-28-2006, 08:00 PM
it just sort of misses a shift. like hitting nuetral in between 3-4. happened to me twice in two years so dont worry about it. also its a little ard to find netral some times. mostly bc of the really shrt shif stroke and to find it you have to do a half stoke making it tricky. again not really a prob, you dont need it in a race just when you stop. and then you have all the time in the world to find it.

DirtDevilBT
07-02-2006, 12:19 AM
O, ok.

Well, coming off a warrior I couldn't be happier with the way it shifts. I think I've missed a couple but that's it. Nothing like my warrior.