PDA

View Full Version : Honda 450R Tips N Tricks

spdracer71
06-22-2006, 12:28 PM
I am a new Proud owner of a 05 Honda 450R. Could I get some help give me some information that I might need to know OR might experience/encounter down the road???? Specificly MOTOR information.
-Any timing chain/gear/slider issues??
-Any valve issues??
-Any must do's OR must haves???
-Any DON"T
-What are some HOT set-ups to get some extra HP out of the motor
Pretty much any info. will be helpful so thanks alot everybody!!!

I know all bikes have there own little quirks, so I kinda want to get a jump on the gun before stuff starts happening.

1ride2for-god
06-26-2006, 02:46 PM
Sorry to say this dude, but you should have waited till the end of this year when the 06 goes down a bit. Or you should have paid the extra few hundred and bought an 06. The 05 is not going to keep up with much unless it heavily moded. It will probably keep up with the 400's, but not much more. Sorry man.

DEAL
06-26-2006, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by 1ride2for-god
Sorry to say this dude, but you should have waited till the end of this year when the 06 goes down a bit. Or you should have paid the extra few hundred and bought an 06. The 05 is not going to keep up with much unless it heavily moded. It will probably keep up with the 400's, but not much more. Sorry man.

What are you talking about???

My 04 450r just has an hrc kit and full hmf pipe and I have no problem keeping up with ltrs, 06 450rs and heavily modded 450s on the track.

JW450R1
06-26-2006, 04:22 PM
THE ONLY REAL BIG THING I KNOW ABOUT IS THE LOWER END BEARING GOING BAD CAUSING A BLOWN MOTOR.....

xraven35
06-28-2006, 09:59 AM
I heard that the 06's suck. I don't own one but thats what I heard from numerous woods racers.

450ERRRRRR!
06-29-2006, 11:28 AM
Well, you heard wrong! It's got the best motor to date. Complety different motor than the 04-05. The only people who try and cut them down are the ones who dont own one.:blah:

organiz3d_chaos
06-29-2006, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by 450ERRRRRR!
Well, you heard wrong! It's got the best motor to date. Complety different motor than the 04-05. The only people who try and cut them down are the ones who dont own one.:blah:

If they suck, I don't really care to see whats "good" i am happy with my sucky quad...

Phills450r
06-30-2006, 08:33 PM
why does every 06 450r owner talk bad about the 04-05s ive had my 450 for 2 years now and never had to do anything to it besides change the motor and the only main thing done to the motor is a hrc kit and i keep up with everything out on the tracks... seriously what is SO bad about the 04-05 models just because the 06 model is a little quicker doesn't make the 04-05 a bad quad..

tltcracing
06-30-2006, 08:35 PM
if they suck so bad then why are all the pros running an 06 over a "better" 04-05? i think you need to get your facts strait!!

tltcracing
06-30-2006, 08:43 PM
(just read the post above my first) there is nothing bad about the 04-05's. i have herd some horror stories about guys with 04 crank berings going bad but the older stle motor is no slow poke. an 04-05 motor can still hod it own against an06 any day. my 05 has pulled holeshots over fully moded (talked to the guy and he said he had over 3k in the motor) motors and all i have in mine is an HRC cam, filter, and full pipe.

Smidgy
07-10-2006, 07:11 AM
the motor changes to the 06 are noticable to ride, but are not great enough to say that it is greatly better than the older models, the harder pull you feel when you are on one is also because of the smaller front sprocket. The 06 does have some issues that may encounter reliablity issues down the road, the motor runs 12.0 compression a substantial jump in a very similar motor, and if anyone knows anything about motors, they know that compression is one of the determining factors in how long a motor will last, so it all depends on what you plan on doing with your bike as to which is the best, but if it is for racing the 06 is your better option.

Smidgy
07-10-2006, 07:13 AM
and it is not a completely different motor, they run the same valvetrain, which is the weakspot in any motor. That is why you can run the same cam in both. It is the low end that is different

oldskoolex400
07-10-2006, 07:07 PM
congrats on the new 05 450 bro they are a great bike dont let all these kids cut u down on it for the money you saved however i would recommend putting a pipe,filter,cam in it to really open it up yes they did make changes to the 06s yea the pro racers are running them why? because they are sponsored why would honda want them running a year or two old quad out there when they can be on their latest model, if they were winning on the 04s 05s some people would stray away from the 06s and buy leftovers or even worse for honda USED which cuts in their profits so there you go i know this didnt help you on your possible problems and servicing there are tons of posts on this though just go through and search through them and you will find the answers

fox17
07-17-2006, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by oldskoolex400
congrats on the new 05 450 bro they are a great bike dont let all these kids cut u down on it for the money you saved however i would recommend putting a pipe,filter,cam in it to really open it up yes they did make changes to the 06s yea the pro racers are running them why? because they are sponsored why would honda want them running a year or two old quad out there when they can be on their latest model, if they were winning on the 04s 05s some people would stray away from the 06s and buy leftovers or even worse for honda USED which cuts in their profits so there you go i know this didnt help you on your possible problems and servicing there are tons of posts on this though just go through and search through them and you will find the answers

i agree. all there guys are just arguing bout it cause they think their modle years are better. its a bunch of crap. they are all the same for the most part. all of them are fast enough. it depends on who is ridin them. i want a 05 myself. im lookin at one and if i sell my street bike im gonna go buy it.

gopeddin400EX
07-22-2006, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by 1ride2for-god

It will probably keep up with the 400's? lmao dude your nuts i have an 05 450R that i just bought. i also have a heavily modded 440EX and the 450 STOCK most definatly is right there with the 440