PDA

View Full Version : 400ex blown shocks-get 450r or yfz?

mach5racing4
06-22-2006, 12:11 PM
Whats the best shocks for my money to replace my stock front 400ex shocks, I have houser +2" a-arms and my stock shocks are smoked, the sqeak and bottom out easy. I was thinking of stock 450r or yfz front shocks cause I didnt want to spend too much, what do you guys think is the best to go with? thanks

j_cyrus3
06-22-2006, 12:56 PM
Get a shock designed for your bike....

coryatver
06-22-2006, 01:19 PM
450r will fit a lot better, yfzs are way different. But seriously just get 400ex shocks for a 400ex

LT250RMan
06-22-2006, 01:22 PM
ya dont use shocks from other quads there not made for the 400ex you might just kill them to, use 400ex shocks or go with used aftermarket shocks if you cant afford new.

01 400EXer
06-22-2006, 07:21 PM
I would say go with the 450R shocks for the +2 a-arms. I have a stock set and they perform great on the 400EX with +2 a-arms. I also have a set of TCS tripple rate, zps, rebuilt 450R shocks I run also. I bought the tripple rate shocks used that were set up for my weight, but were on a 450R stock front end. When I got them I sent them to Shane at Wolfpack Racing to have them looked at and serviced (Shane was trained by Todd at TCS). While talking to Shane about my set up of putting them on a 400EX with +2 a-arms, he told me that with 400EX with the +2 a-arms, the geomety was almost identical to the 450R's stock geometry. When I got them back from him, let me tell you they perform awsome, but I will say that the stock 450R shocks also perform great with the preload backed all the way out and the compression and rebound settings about in the middle. They may also feel good because I am a lighter rider at 160 lb. with gear. If you are on a budget get the 450R shocks and then when money allows you to get them revalved and resprung for your set up. Shane did also tell me that the 450R shocks are great shocks once revalved and resprung (definitely better than Works shocks). I have a buddy I ride with that has long travel on the front end of his 400EX and when we were at the track riding I let him take my bike for a ride. He was very impressed with how they handled and made the comment that I only had 1/3rd the amount of money into suspension and he would be just as happy with my set up. Just my $0.02 on the subject.

TRX23rider
06-22-2006, 07:29 PM
take it form someone who has 450r shocks, they are a decent improvement but looking back on it now i wish i had just saved my money and bought a higher quality shock. if you are on a budget and dont plan on any serious racing the 450r shocks are good, but if i were you i would save for some shocks that are made for your quad.

wolffie
06-22-2006, 07:48 PM
yeah i recently got my shocks rebuilt by Shane at wolffpack racing too, and he was telling me he can rebuild the 450r shocks into some serious performers (justl like 01 400EXer said)

my bro has the Works AT steelers( which are a mediocre trail shocks) and Shane i think quoted me around $300-$350 to have em revalved and everything into the likes of higher end Elka. this would include triple rate springs, rezzies, and the whole works. this might be an idea for you if you decide to purchase some used 450 shocks.

TRX23rider
06-22-2006, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by wolffie
yeah i recently got my shocks rebuilt by Shane at wolffpack racing too, and he was telling me he can rebuild the 450r shocks into some serious performers (justl like 01 400EXer said)

my bro has the Works AT steelers( which are a mediocre trail shocks) and Shane i think quoted me around $300-$350 to have em revalved and everything into the likes of higher end Elka. this would include triple rate springs, rezzies, and the whole works. this might be an idea for you if you decide to purchase some used 450 shocks.

yeah but with the price you spend on the shocks which is like $250 and then the $300 to get them revalved, you are still talking almost $600 when you can get a used set of elkas or peps for that price.

wolffie
06-22-2006, 08:02 PM
^^^very true, but if you can snag a cheap pair of 450 shocks and get em rebuilt, you know they will be practically new after all the work is done. whereas if you just buy a used a pair of Elkas or TCS you dont know exactly what needs to be fixed.

i guess it just depends on the situation you are in at the time:confused:

honestly, you're probably just better off buying new unless you can get one helluva deal on 450 shocks 2CENTS

mach5racing4
06-22-2006, 10:04 PM
thanks guys i apreciate the info, i will probably buy some 450r shocks and wait till the end of summer or winter time and get them rebuilt, they should do fine for the riding i do unless i get into jumping this summer. thanks

trx400exxracer
06-22-2006, 11:03 PM
here buy mine they are works for the front and rebuilt for the rear check em out awsome prices

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=239238

<DRS>GPF
06-23-2006, 05:39 AM
Originally posted by TRX23rider
yeah but with the price you spend on the shocks which is like $250 and then the $300 to get them revalved, you are still talking almost $600 when you can get a used set of elkas or peps for that price.

but theyd be fully adjustable..;)