PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Fuel Infection!!

NorCalRacer
06-22-2006, 10:19 AM
Just what it says. I bought an '88 Chevrolet c1500 about 4 yrs ago for a song. It had been slammed into a Toyota then driven without a radiator. Well after a grand in body repair and taking the motor to my local machinist I had a pretty good truck. I even replaced all the FI junk so it would pass smog.
It has given me some good service except on a few occasions where the computer has left me confused. Twice I have tracked down gremlins only to have a new one come up. The other day the sob actually died a mile away from home in the middle of a job and I had to finish in a friend's truck. That was the last straw.
I got home and yanked that damn 4.3 FI nightmare out of my truck, put in some new mounts and dropped in an old 305 out of my buddies toyota. He bought a 350 and told me that if I pulled the 305 I could have it for free. So about a week an $800 later I have a carbureted engine in my truck. Chevy 305 with a Holly truck avenger, mallory electronic distributor and in-line fuel pump. Back to the basics:devil: I'm gonna go test the new engine out in a minute and see how it does. I must be crazy, pulling a 6 and installing an eight, but at least now I can fix anything wrong with it in a day or less without a laptop:D

Blue250X
06-22-2006, 10:46 AM
wats holleys website??

CTmxyfz
06-22-2006, 11:56 AM
guys have been dropping small blocks and bigblocks in s-10s for years now.

c-10s are still a sick truck with small blocks. nice work

zedicus00
06-22-2006, 12:36 PM
what was you using to mess with the computer on the old 4.3? a laptop and some special software? what type of connection and cableing? ive been debating doing something similar to my old jimmy...

NorCalRacer
06-22-2006, 12:50 PM
Not sure what the computer was, my local shop would run codes for me. Other than that, I use a standard codereader (garbage) and a mighty vac vacuum tester (gold) and a multi-meter. The machine the shop had ran about $1500 With some research you can test everything, but sometimes it just doesn't matter. Some emissions systems have to have ideal conditions for every sensor to work, so a simple problem like a bad ground could cause your timing to be off, lowering vacuum and giving you a map sensor code, etc. etc. Sometimes it is worth diagnosing and repairing, sometimes not:ermm:
This time I tested my distributor, coil and vacuum and everything was good. I have a feeling there was a problem in the ten pounds of wire I removed, but I was done finding out. The new motor fired up in seconds and I don't care how much gas it costs.
Good luck getting your rig running

NorCalRacer
06-22-2006, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Blue250X
wats holleys website??

holley.com

zedicus00
06-22-2006, 12:55 PM
yeah thouse 4.3 FI vortecs run good on the rare occasion everything is perfect... its dirty out here so the mass air sensor never works right, one of the back plug wires shorts constantly, had a cat plug the other day... yur idea sounds like the easy route.

jesshamner
06-22-2006, 03:12 PM
Whats ironic is that you have an ATK/Cannondale that is supposed to be a EFI nightmare. :blah:

NorCalRacer
06-22-2006, 04:17 PM
If my chevy ran as good as my 'Dale I'd be out passing everything on the road:blah:
How's yours run?

jesshamner
06-23-2006, 07:45 AM
I can't say that I have ever experienced any of the problems that plagued cannondale except for my flywheel spinning. I am having Wistech go through it now and getting the stroker installed. He said I had a worn cam lobe and valve bucket but everything else looked great! He was surprised by the lack of wear on the timing chain. Regardless the quad was still running great when I tore it down. :D

NorCalRacer
06-23-2006, 09:43 AM
As I expected! The cannondale EFI is a beautiful system:muscle:
Have fun when you get your stroker. Should be FAST:D