PDA

View Full Version : MX in minnesota questions

Team Outlaw #34
08-14-2002, 06:57 PM
who races mx in minnesota????

can you give me some info on how to get started and what u need..........

and also where some practice tracks are in minnesota..........

Thanx a lot..........

08-15-2002, 05:45 AM
To race Motocross on an ATV in Minnesota, you need to be a member of the AMA, a member of District 23, be over the age of 16, and have a teather kill switch and nerfbars installed on your quad. Visist www.armca.org for rules and regulations.

There are 5 quad MX classes:

QuadSport - 0-200cc 2-stroke, 0-350cc 4-stroke
Quad 250 - 0-250cc 2-stroke, 0-440cc 4-stroke
Open - No limits on cc.
VET - Racer must be over the age of 30.
Women - Self explanitory.

If you have never raced before, I would encourage you to go and watch an event before taking part in one. Most of the top riders in the QuadSport, Quad 250, and Open classes run as fast of lap times as the 250A dirtbike classes at some tracks.

HareScrambles and Cross Country racing are also very poplular in MN, and feature both A and B classes. It's a great way of getting started into racing, and something that I would encourage everyone to look into.

As far as practice goes. All of the tracks used to allow practice on weeknights. But there were some insurance changes this year and I think most, if not all of the tracks do not allow practice anymore. Contact the district to find out more.

Chris
District 23 "retired" racer #66

Team Outlaw #34
08-15-2002, 10:41 AM
thanx a lot....
-andy

flyin#5
08-17-2002, 05:53 PM
yeah starks said about everything. ive only been to grantsburg but when i was there i saw a 12 year old on a totaly stock 400ex (no kill switch or nerf bars) with a helmet and boots racing. i also saw several other ppl out there w/o very much crap either. but i think it would be a good idea to follow the rules even though i think the 16 and over thing is a bunch of bullshi+.

Regulator 250X
08-18-2002, 09:49 AM
Hey Neighbors!! Im from north central-east Iowa and was wondering if there are any tracks around the southeast part of Minnesota? I know of millville but they dont allow quads, so i was wondering where some other venues were...... Can anyone help me out? thanks

08-19-2002, 05:23 AM
Millville had quad races on July 14th and 28th this year. There is also The Midway near Kellog, Hurricane Hills near Mazeppa, and Meadow Valley MX near Millville.

JUSTINcredible
12-03-2002, 06:03 PM
also if your a beginer try some fair races or http://www.motokazie.com

YFZRacer350
12-03-2002, 08:58 PM
yes, i also race in MN and local races are definately the way to start out..there are many entry level riders that race..so its always a fair chance compared to beginning in AMA...Little Falls, Brainerd, Jordan, Motodome in Staples during the winter, and many more are all fun tracks to race at..later

Team Outlaw #34
12-03-2002, 09:03 PM
haha....

i posted that like 4 months ago....

sylvan56473
12-04-2002, 03:10 PM
So, did you do any racing this year then?

Ryan
12-04-2002, 04:03 PM
When you do race don't join the ama (american motercycle association) join the atva (all terrian vehical association) or something like that.

Team Outlaw #34
12-05-2002, 02:09 PM
ahhh yeah....

I did race a local race up in Iron River Wisconsin....it was the last race of the year and its one of the funnest things i have ever done! I plan to practice for a year and then in 2004 i'll do that armca races....

PhilMoore
12-27-2002, 12:24 PM
You can't practice...
Saying you are going to practice is like saying you "will do it tomorrow"

You just have to go race! :D
You don't get better by practicing, you get better by racing. Racing is hella more fun than practicing.

Don't wait until you are old (like me). Go do it now, but be careful, you want to still be alive and able to walk when you are old...

If you can afford it, and have the means to travel, do the AMA/ATVA.

Otherwise do the local tracks. It cost 5 or 6 bucks to get in the gate at Brainerd, then another $10 to race. No AMA card required.

Brainerd rules: http://www.kcracepromotions.com/rules.htm

infantry317
12-27-2002, 12:43 PM
You can also go to the Moto-dome in Staples during the winter. Next race is Jan.5th. It's kinda cool, I went with some buds that were racing to check it out last month, didn't ride though (I'm too old to start MX now, but gonna try XC this next year). Good luck racing!

PhilMoore
12-27-2002, 07:28 PM
infantry317,
What did you think of the indoor arena? My friends said it was kinda small. I haven't been there yet, but it sounds like fun. I see they have a pit-bike class. Now that sounds hilarious!

Did they have many quad entries?

I raced at Little Falls a couple times and they had too many quads on the track at one time. It was pretty scary, plus everybody was ignoring the yellow flags. Nice track though.

infantry317
12-27-2002, 08:49 PM
They ran 250 class and open class, both had two groups. About 9 quads per group (I don't know the techincal name here for the groups). It was cool, but a lot of hurry up and wait, that's why i'm gonna concentrate on XC. The track is small, but everyone seems to like it. It's also heated and vented occasionally. Check it out, it was more than I expected.

PhilMoore
01-01-2003, 08:33 PM
I looked at the race results for Dec 15. It looks like they had a lot of riders! http://motocityraceway.homestead.com/files/MXDec.15Results.htm

Racing does not even start until 1:15 PM, the doors open at 8am, so I can see there will be a grueling wait.

I finally got an email back from them about the fees:
You need a membership: $25 once a year I presume.
Gate fee just to get in: $7 per person.
Race fee per class: $25

Basically, it costs $32 to race, plus another $7 for my wife to come with. I think it will be worth it.

Do not need AMA or ATVA (DOH!!! I just got a 3 year membership to ATVA! :rolleyes:

The only bad thing is they race MX on sunday. That is bad news cuz when I race in the summer on friday nights, I have the whole weekend to recover :D I think they should switch the sliding couches (circle track bikes) to Sundays, and let the "real" racers in on saturday ;)

I am slightly concerned about getting fumagated. I went to a indoor race at the Virgina Armory a few years back, and they only had like 5 machines at a time on there, and you could barely see your hand in front of your face after the race. They had to do an intermission and blow out the fumes. Don't get me wrong, I like exhaust as much as the next guy, but that was a bit excessive...

I don't mind watching the kids on the bikes and mini quads, they are a hoot. But it does get tedious waiting for the hotshot 125s and 250's.

JUSTINcredible
01-01-2003, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by PhilMoore
I looked at the race results for Dec 15. It looks like they had a lot of riders! http://motocityraceway.homestead.com/files/MXDec.15Results.htm

Racing does not even start until 1:15 PM, the doors open at 8am, so I can see there will be a grueling wait.

Practice for Mini's & Quads: 10:00am
Racing for Mini's & Quads: 10:45am

PhilMoore
01-01-2003, 09:03 PM
I better learn myselfness how ta reed ai guess... :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Are you racing there?

I will probably run my 400EX in the 250 class. I thought about running the Blaster, but I am too fat for it. It would probably break:)