PDA

View Full Version : Thumb pain

DANVAN
06-21-2006, 07:59 PM
Both my daughter(9) and wife complain of thrumb pain after about 30-60 minutes of riding.

I went to the dealer to buy those thumb extenders and was told to skip them and adjust the handle bars, they need the proper angle for their thumbs to not hurt.

I tried adjusting the bars tonight and then the r/s throttle with my daughter on the machine, nothing seemed to work for her, she says she still feels pain and uncomfortable.

Has anyone else delt with this, do those extenders work?

dober250R
06-21-2006, 08:02 PM
if they are standing up a lot while riding, you need to rotate the throttle so they are pressing at a downward angle. If they are sitting, the best angle would be pressing straight on ( pressing flat). I race mx, so my throttle is rotated so when i'm standing, it's like i'm pressing at a downward angle.

JRP
06-21-2006, 08:09 PM
2 advil before you ride.:)

06-21-2006, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by JRP
2 advil before you ride.:)

does that actully work? I was gonna try it before my last race but I forgot them at home, so I wanna try it this weekend. How long before the race should I take them?

JRP
06-21-2006, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by nofearrider1
does that actully work? I was gonna try it before my last race but I forgot them at home, so I wanna try it this weekend. How long before the race should I take them?

atleast 30min. They will last about 3hrs.

Cody_300ex
06-21-2006, 08:30 PM
Don't think about it, its what I have to do. If I focus more on riding or racing it dosn't hurt.

06-21-2006, 08:33 PM
TWIST :)

1fst400
06-21-2006, 08:33 PM
when i had my aftermarket carb it had a munga return spring on the throttle. Simular to a yfz 450 ( same brand carb). I trimmed the return spring doun some. then took the spring out of the throttle housing. so it only had the spring doun on the carb. then I shortened the lever IN the throttle housing (up on the bars) so I would push the throttle lever farther to open the carb the same amount. hard to explain but it worked.

06-21-2006, 08:34 PM
If it's really bad, you should buy the twist throttle conversion. They're only 35 dollars. In the end, you'd probably pay a little over 100 dollars (buy one for your daughter, wife, and yourself). Trust me, it'd be worth it.

LittleMissE
06-21-2006, 08:36 PM
After a while they should probaly get use to it thats what my mom and I did!!!

nosliw
06-21-2006, 10:08 PM
i did exactly what 1fst400 did to my 400ex and it worked wonders.

ELewandowski
06-22-2006, 12:05 AM
I would also sugest the twist. Best mod I have made yet for long days of riding.

DANVAN
06-22-2006, 06:09 AM
OK. thanks for the replies guys.

Nobody has tried those thumb extenders?

Im not into spending any money on that Baja, its a cheap machine that I havent liked since the day we got it home, so most likly Ill will just try adjusting the throttle some more and buy the thumb extender. I know one guy who has it on his sons machine, I will have to call him today and see how/if it worked for him. I may even try adjusting the spring as 1fst400 suggested.

My wifes, I didnt touch yet and her pain isnt as bad, so I have time to play with hers and maybe even convert that one to the twist if she wants.

Mine I wont convert, Im happy with it and no pain at all. I thought all along they just had weak fingers.

Thanks again

06-22-2006, 06:09 AM
Do they wear gloves? I found out that my gloves cause more pain than without gloves. Mine are to small so I guess its cutting off circulation a little bit. I rode 30 minutes without gloves and I was fine, and then with the small gloves and my thumb hurt like hell.

DANVAN
06-22-2006, 06:15 AM
Yes, my daughter wears gloves, but yesterday when we were adjusting they we're not on and she still felt the discomfort.

Wifey doesnt wear them.

JRP
06-22-2006, 07:40 AM
make sure if you do get a twist, DO NOT get the 1/4th twist.

DANVAN
06-22-2006, 08:18 AM
Im not familar with the twist, what else is there other then the 1/4 twist and why do u say not to get it?

I work at a car-cycle center so I spoke to the service manager on the cycle side again today and he re-explained how to adjust the throttle lever, but he did not know yesterday that this is a non-name brand machine, and when I explained that as I move the throttle lever it also move the brake handle, so it was was either 1 or the other that she could reach.

We sell Honda's and suzuki's and that is what he thought we were talking about, he said a honda I would be able to move the throttle lever w/o moving the brake lever. So I bought the thumb extender and will try it tonight and see if it helps her, then on to the wifes machine next.

JRP
06-22-2006, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by DANVAN
Im not familar with the twist, what else is there other then the 1/4 twist and why do u say not to get it?

I work at a car-cycle center so I spoke to the service manager on the cycle side again today and he re-explained how to adjust the throttle lever, but he did not know yesterday that this is a non-name brand machine, and when I explained that as I move the throttle lever it also move the brake handle, so it was was either 1 or the other that she could reach.

We sell Honda's and suzuki's and that is what he thought we were talking about, he said a honda I would be able to move the throttle lever w/o moving the brake lever. So I bought the thumb extender and will try it tonight and see if it helps her, then on to the wifes machine next.

1/4th twist is extremely snappy. I got that by accidenta nd i almost killed myself. get 1/2 twist.

suck my pipe
06-22-2006, 01:55 PM
hahaha, thell get ysed to it. Mine used to hurt all the time, now it looks like a damn chicken wing. there thumbs are just weak thell get used to it. "FEEL THE BURN" :)

DANVAN
06-22-2006, 06:46 PM
I put the throttle extender on tonight and she rode around the yard, she said it made no difference, I saw and felt no difference either, so its back off. I adjusted the throttle lever down a bit, she says she uses the left/ rear brake more, and told her she needs to do some thumb and hand excersize. Looked for the spring at the carb too, couldnt see it. She'll just have to get used to it, my wife says the same thing about herself. She didnt want the extender on her's either.