PDA

View Full Version : ? about +3 arms

WB400ex
08-14-2002, 05:41 PM
if i get +3 inch a arms will i need 19 inch shocks. i have works triple rate with rezzies and i ride the dunes and mx. what do you think. post pics of +3 arms please. i measured my stock with on the front and i got 42 inches. the magazines say that the 400 ex are 45 inches wide. the racers bikes are 50 inches wide. if i get +2 my bike wiil be at 46 inches. +3 at 48 inches. so which is better for my riding thanx

Razorback
08-14-2002, 07:18 PM
i'm not quite sure about the 19" shock question, but i believe you should be able to get +3 arms that accept regular travel (16-16 1/2") shocks. i don't know what brand, though. i have housers and they don't make a regular travel for 400ex, but do for the 250r.

unless you only do mx, and plan to do no woods riding, i wouldn't go with +3. it's just too much. +2 is plenty wide for mx. also, if you have +3, you can't run wide offset wheels and still be under 50 inches. may not be important unless you run an ATVA sanctioned event or if the races you run prohibit over 50 inches.

personally, i run +2 housers with radials on offset rims that gets me right at 50 inches. it handles like a dream.

Pro400EXC
08-14-2002, 08:47 PM
I belive you would have to run Long-Travels in the front.

Also,+3 and 4:1 off-set rims is better than +2's with standard off-set.

And if you get +2 or +3,your quad will be 6 in wider or 4in wider(depends on what your get) cause each a-arm is 2 or 3in wider.

kicker696
08-14-2002, 11:47 PM
i know strong arm makes +4+1 and i think they make +3+1 and i know they use normal travel shocks

airheadedduner
08-15-2002, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Pro400EXC
I belive you would have to run Long-Travels in the front.

Also,+3 and 4:1 off-set rims is better than +2's with standard off-set.

And if you get +2 or +3,your quad will be 6 in wider or 4in wider(depends on what your get) cause each a-arm is 2 or 3in wider.

How can you say it is better??? It all depends on rider set-up. You don't have to run long traval shocks with long traval a-arm, you just won't get the full benifit of them and could damage them. I like my +2s but wish I had +3s. But like razorbackexrider said, you don't need +3s and you can get offset wheels to make you 50 inches with +2s.

yamaha1470
08-15-2002, 04:47 AM
what is the difference if u have +2's with the offset rims to make u at 50 inches or +3's with the 4:1 rims so you are at 50 inches? Your still the same width. Wouldnt it be the same?

BigThumper33
08-15-2002, 08:33 AM
You can get +3 a arms that are made just for 16" shocks. Hermann racing makes both long travel and regular travel +3 for the EX

Pro400EXC
08-15-2002, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by airheadedduner

How can you say it is better??? It all depends on rider set-up. You don't have to run long traval shocks with long traval a-arm, you just won't get the full benifit of them and could damage them. I like my +2s but wish I had +3s. But like razorbackexrider said, you don't need +3s and you can get offset wheels to make you 50 inches with +2s.

OK, like i said before +3 with 4:1 off-set rims is a better set-up than +2's.

For the simple fact of having less bump steer with that set-up,and less straine on the hubs and all,cause it will put more leverage on the hubs,by having wider rims.

And Ok i'm sry,i guess you can get +3's with standard travel shocks, but Long-Travel would be waay better.

Also,thats my most Pro's are now runnin +3's with 4:1 rims, if you look closley,they all have 4:1 rims.(at elast the Pro's I seen)

4:1 rims give you less bump steer,and put less leverage on the hubs.

Catch my drift?if not,ask Norm or soemonme else,they'll tell yah the same.

Thks,
Pro

Mity Mo
08-15-2002, 04:31 PM
Pro400exc is exactly on the money. Well said and well put. They are much better period, end of sentence. And with the +3 whether you go long travel or not you get a little more plush on landings. Otherwise why would they make a skinny frame Laeger for +4 a-arms? Mo;)

airheadedduner
08-15-2002, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Pro400EXC

OK, like i said before +3 with 4:1 off-set rims is a better set-up than +2's.

For the simple fact of having less bump steer with that set-up,and less straine on the hubs and all,cause it will put more leverage on the hubs,by having wider rims.

And Ok i'm sry,i guess you can get +3's with standard travel shocks, but Long-Travel would be waay better.

Also,thats my most Pro's are now runnin +3's with 4:1 rims, if you look closley,they all have 4:1 rims.(at elast the Pro's I seen)

4:1 rims give you less bump steer,and put less leverage on the hubs.

Catch my drift?if not,ask Norm or soemonme else,they'll tell yah the same.

Thks,
Pro

That does make a lot of sence. I have never heard that before.

Zero Z400
08-15-2002, 08:15 PM
I think u should get +3 long travel if u do big jumps at the dunes. It will help a little bit on mx but u'll appreciate it more at the dunes. The only prob is u'd have to get new shocks but i think it would be worth it.

Later