PDA

View Full Version : 05 400ex Honda issues

phxccw
06-21-2006, 04:20 PM
My buddy is having some difficulties starting his 05 400ex. It was starting just fine and then he was involved in an accident with it and it rolled over. It was on it's side for like 30min, so I was wondering could the plug be fouled?

He had some extra plugs so I told him to change it but he said there was some plastic rubber thing that prevented him from removing it. I'm not in front of it so I can't explain in greater detail. Basically it starts with the choke on but as soon as you puch it back it it dies.

This was a brand new bike with less than 20hrs on it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
cp

GPracer2500
06-21-2006, 04:34 PM
Sounds like a carb issue. Will it stay running with the choke off if the throttle is held open or constantly blipped?

I'd remove the carb, clean it, and inspect it to make sure everything is still in order. Pay particular attention to the float height. An engine that starts with the choke on but dies as soon its turned off is often a clogged pilot circuit. Not sure how it would have gotten clogged from what you discribed, but who knows [shrug].

Also, make sure that the idle adjustment (throttle stop screw--located on the carb) didn't get thrown out of whack. If it's turned too low than it may run with the choke on but die when turned off. If the idle screw is the only problem than it should run fine other than idleing.

BTW, if your friend is unable to remove the spark plug than he probably should not touch the carb. Get help from someone with more experience.

Hope that helps.

Iliketogofast
06-29-2006, 10:49 PM
It's probably flooded. Take the plug out and hold the starter button for 10 seconds.