PDA

View Full Version : Why does this keep happening???

Sjorge450R
06-21-2006, 03:20 PM
Ok well I have a 300ex and I have a problem with the rear brakes. First it was the ressivor melting from the Supertrapp pipe and now its the break pads wearing out extreamly quick. Let me say that I barley ever use the rear brakes but when I do its only when there is a bottle neck on a hill or if I have to stop really fast. In the time of an entire 1.5 hour race, i will use them 5 times tops. Well after 3 races, there is no break pad left. I am missing this piece tho. Could that have anything to do with it???:confused:

Pappy
06-21-2006, 03:24 PM
it looks like your missing the bushing that helps keep the brake stay in place. This could contribute to some problems, but 3 races on a set of rear brakes is actually not bad in XC with mud. Mud collects and wears'em down.

hardkoratvmxr
06-21-2006, 03:25 PM
yes that keeps your caliper form rotating back and forth to far which adds wear to your pads which will wear them out that fast.

Sjorge450R
06-21-2006, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
it looks like your missing the bushing that helps keep the brake stay in place. This could contribute to some problems, but 3 races on a set of rear brakes is actually not bad in XC with mud. Mud collects and wears'em down.

yeah, but I never use them. I have had my front pads on since the begining of the year and I use them constantly. I think that I am going to pick up that bushing. there was something else that I needed from honda......

JW450R1
06-21-2006, 04:07 PM
some time u think u may not be using them,but u r and don't even know it.do u ride with racing boots

Sjorge450R
06-21-2006, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by JW450R1
some time u think u may not be using them,but u r and don't even know it.do u ride with racing boots

no, I dont ride the brake. My pedal is adjusted up. Plus, I tend to stand on my heals on the kick ups of my pegs. good thought tho. I just looked up the price and its only 4.50.

JW450R1
06-21-2006, 06:55 PM
R THE CALIPER SLIDES STICKY/OR FROZEN.A WHILE BACK I WAS READING SOMETHING ABOUT THE E-BRAKE BLOCK OFF TO THE REAR CALIPER WAS MADE WRONG CAUSING PREMATURELY WEARING OUT THE PADS.IS THE MASTER OR SLAVE ADJUSTED TO MUCH BY THE REAR BRAKE LEVER?.

94F450SD
06-21-2006, 10:07 PM
i get 2 rides that consist of about 6-8 hours each of riding in woods,mud,sand and water before i need rear brakes.if im lucky ill get 3 rides.i bought this one set(i think they were EBC,they looked like car brakes)that lasted a good amount of time but they didnt work too great.my 190 lb body leaning on the brake lever and still couldnt lock up the rear brakes.i switched back to the sintered metal pads before those were even halfway worn.i guess with ATV brakes you either get long life,sucky brakes or short life,great brakes.kinda sux spending 30 bux every 2 rides but i gotta have brakes that work.

parkers30
06-22-2006, 07:59 AM
I don't know about you guys but I have never put a pet of front pads on a bike, my 400 has about work out a top end but the front pads are still fine, back on the other hand while I have had it I have put on atleast 6 sets. My YFZ fronts look like new and back pads are shot. The fronts just don't get subjected to the dirt and wear the backs do

Colby@C&DRacing
06-22-2006, 08:30 AM
You either have a bent rotor or your caliper is stuck and does not move freely side to side

Sjorge450R
06-22-2006, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Colby@C&DRacing
You either have a bent rotor or your caliper is stuck and does not move freely side to side

I didnt think of the rotor being bent.... Maybe I will pick one of those up along with that bushing and a set of pads. I just dont see how they wear out so fast, and I never use them.

kyleschonert
06-22-2006, 12:10 PM
I have a rear rotor for sale. Let me know if you are interested.

mach5racing4
06-22-2006, 12:14 PM
I am having the same trouble with my 400ex rear brakes, my resivoir broke so I put a new one on and in 1 day of riding my fairly new rear brake pads are smoked, does any one know of a long lasting rear brake pad?

Sjorge450R
06-22-2006, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by kyleschonert
I have a rear rotor for sale. Let me know if you are interested.

stock?? Aftermarket. im interested. How much?

kyleschonert
06-22-2006, 12:37 PM
stock. I'm not sure how much they go for, so I gues make an offer. I will get some pics. if you need them.

Sjorge450R
06-22-2006, 03:04 PM
stock. I'm not sure how much they go for, so I gues make an offer. I will get some pics. if you need them.

20 shipped??? Could you some pics please?

Steve

SUBkillerP3
06-27-2006, 06:26 AM
Let me know if you have any more to I need a couple sets.

I smoke my pads

deathman53
06-29-2006, 01:06 PM
for brake pads, I like stock honda pads or ebc sinnered pads. I had a set of stock pads on my xr250r last about 2 years, I am still using the replacement pads that I put on in 03 and they are about 80%. My quad uses stock 400ex pads and are about 90%, and I have stock pads in my atc200x and atc250r that have been there about 2 years. I say go for stock honda brake pads, they last longer than most ebc's, except the sinnered pads, however they don't grab as good as ebc carbon pads but outlast 5 sets with minimal reduction in brake performance. Mud, stuck calipers, and unbled brakes will wear any pad out in a matter of hours. I had a muddy ride wear down a set of ebc's in about 4 hours, and when I had a warror the stock pads didn't even last that long.

Trevor
06-29-2006, 01:32 PM
I made my own pads the other day and they seem to work. I tolck the old wornout pads and a set of worn down car pads and beat the pad material off the car pad with a hammer. Ground it to the size of the bike pad and JB welded it to the metal of mt bike pad then trimmed it up with the grinder. I only did this to the rear I would not trust this to do on the front I only did the rear.

rebelbanshee
07-01-2006, 12:13 PM
In my experience rear pads just dont last long at all. I use my fronts way more than the back and have kevlar pads and have replaced me rear sinterd pads twice since i changed the front, and will probably change then again. i think they just get more dirt flung on them

kyleschonert
07-01-2006, 07:11 PM
here are your pics. sorry for the delay. check your pms also.

kyleschonert
07-01-2006, 07:12 PM
other side. the stock brake caliper holder if yours is damaged and you dont want to order a brand new one.

Sjorge450R
07-01-2006, 08:23 PM
well,there is nothing in my PM box. Cash is alittle low right now. give me like 3 weeks. How much shipped?

kyleschonert
07-01-2006, 10:41 PM
sorry about that. I thought i sent you another one. how does 20 shipped sound?

Sjorge450R
07-02-2006, 07:44 AM
sorry about that. I thought i sent you another one. how does 20 shipped sound?

that sounds cool. Just PM me or info, and when I get some cash I will send it out.