PDA

View Full Version : will a 426 be enough to keep up with modded z-400's?

ridered86
08-14-2002, 03:27 PM
im wondering because next year when i race i know there will be a lot of z-400s set up for mx at the track.

im not sayin the honda is slow but will it pull as hard as the suzuki?

honda250xrider
08-14-2002, 04:23 PM
dont worry you got the best handling quad and just keep practicing riding only partice will make you faster on the track

phatswinn
08-14-2002, 05:36 PM
a 400 with a pipe will beat a z-400, there very eaquil in power

stocktires
08-14-2002, 08:34 PM
If I were you, I'd focus on handeling. Alot of people think power makes a good quad, thats wrong. If you wana beat z's on the track, that's how you should do it. Mainly because their isnt any a-arms or axles or anything to inprove the z's handeling yet, so if you had a quad that could out handle the Z, that would be a huge plus.

I'd say buy an Axle for your next mx mod.

Im not sure on how fast the Z is cuz i havent ridden one yet. Call or e-mail curtis sparks or eric at LRD. They are very helpful and will get you set-up with the best motor for your budget. Make sure and tell them you need MX power though.

Blizzard24
08-14-2002, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by stocktires
If I were you, I'd focus on handeling. Alot of people think power makes a good quad, thats wrong. If you wana beat z's on the track, that's how you should do it. Mainly because their isnt any a-arms or axles or anything to inprove the z's handeling yet, so if you had a quad that could out handle the Z, that would be a huge plus.

Don't want to burst your bubble, but a arms and axles are out for the z already... I do agree w the handling though... better handling will win races.

stocktires
08-14-2002, 11:56 PM
already? Man, Thats pretty quick!
But anyway, still focus on handleing, while maybe geting a mild 416 kit

ccole400EX
08-15-2002, 02:59 AM
You will not beat a 400z with a piped 400ex. It will take a little more than that. I have Z and raced a few piped 400ex this past weekend and won. Not buy much but i did win. I would think if you raced the to quads on the track i would think the 400ex would win that race. The Z i have the rear shock is crap. It bounces all over when i try to go fast in the rough stuff. I have not tried to dail it in but i never had to adjust my 400ex rear shock it always seemed to handle what ever i gave it. As far as the motor goes you will always get more HP out of the Z. Think about it all you have to do is change the cams, carb and compression to the DRZ dirt bike parts and you could get 40 plus HP thats not even going to a bigger bore or race cams.

fourtrax400ex
08-15-2002, 05:43 AM
last month there was a drag racing organized in my area, there was two z400, one stock and one with a yoshimura, k&N and jet kit, my mod are listed below, the drag was on 500', the stock Z was really not a problem, the piped Z hang up up to 3rd gear, after this i take about 2-3 quad lenght on it. The Z was gearing really slow, it's why it seems to have lot of pushing, a 426 gearing as slow as a Z400 will always have the front wheel in the air and have really hard acceleration in my opinion, but like ccole400ex says, if someone change cam, compression, carb, i dont know if a 426 can hang it, probably yes if you put a carb and a porting job on a 400ex motor, i think i will not be a problem, but anyway on a mx track, i think that suspension and handling are most important than HP.

my two cents!

ridered86
08-15-2002, 05:53 PM
well thanks guys for the hints and id like some more lowend to accomodate my new works shocks they handle the power i have now so why not more power? im trying to decide tho 416 or 426? im gonna get it done at marcums and its the same price.

Sparky416ex
08-15-2002, 07:09 PM
Well scott at profab atv built mine and i got a 416 i love it...i was talkin to him today...he said so are you ready for the next step...i said what?...he said a carb and a 426 port and polish he said it still revs alot better than the 440 but has more mid punch go with the 426

RytM1
08-15-2002, 07:56 PM
I raced a bunch of Z's (just slip-ons) with my 416 at Silver Lake last month, and won every time. In some races, they got a little closer to me than others. The 416 is great. I just wish I would have been able to race a Z prior to the 416 kit, so I could gauge the improvement provided by the motor. A lot of it depends on a riders skill level too. I also took on some Raptors, and beat a few, and lost to a few. You could almost tell the riders experience level, just by looking at them. Helmet, polo shirt, khaki shorts and gym shoes, with nice shiny Raptors, afraid to get them dirty. Unless they were baiting me into a money race, they never beat me.

08-15-2002, 08:44 PM
where is the 426 kit from and were can I look at one on the net.