PDA

View Full Version : Help please!!!

300EXrider356
06-20-2006, 06:05 PM
Allright, this kinda scared me, anyways I was out riding today for an hour or so, and when I got back to the garage, there was like a mist of oil on the fins next to the left exhaust hole on my 400EX. I am thinking that the piston ring went or something?

I was planning on rebuilding the engine soon anyways, I just would like to know what the problem is.

guinness77
06-21-2006, 09:00 AM
Piston rings are internal. No way are blown rings gonna put oil onto your fins. Maybe a pin sized oil leak in the oil cooler. Or perhaps just dark grit from the riding environment. Perhaps a tiny exhaust leak and the gasses are hitting the fins.

If you really suspect it's the rings... have them tested. Just about any shop will perform a leak down test and tell you the condition of the rings and valves.

300EXrider356
06-21-2006, 09:42 AM
I guess it might be an exhaust leak, but when I wipe it off onto my finger it fells like a wet substance. Plus it gets bigger the more you ride it (the area of the spot)

sixer3
06-21-2006, 10:58 AM
check all the seals in your valve cover, valve cover gasket, and tappet o-rings, probably one of those