PDA

View Full Version : a knive Q

PowerJunkie
06-20-2006, 11:24 AM
hey i am wanting to buy a mid sized gerber pocket knive just to put in my pocket everyday for when i might need it for something. but i am thinking about getting a black one. the blade and all that is painted black. but my Q is does the black paint stratch easly or come off? and would you recomed it. or should i just get wtih no paint? thanks alot

06-20-2006, 11:38 AM
The paint on my pocket knife dose not come off easily. Sure it has some scratches but it holds up good. I would recommend it.

coolex
06-20-2006, 11:44 AM
http://www.gerbergear.com/product.php?model=6701#

this is my gerber knive i swaer by it i have it all day and every where i go and i mean every where. sharp enogh to shave with.very strong. nice looking IMO, good cutting , goo protection for when needed

i have no experience with the black bladed ones but if u want a nice knive relatively cheap 25-50 i suggest this one

PowerJunkie
06-20-2006, 12:26 PM
i was thinking about this one
http://www.gerbergear.com/product.php?model=8444

what do you think

hondardr4life
06-20-2006, 12:47 PM
Look into Case xx knives. They are extremely high quality, and do not wear out.

PowerJunkie
06-20-2006, 02:10 PM
i not a fan of case really. thnks though

Stevie-D
06-20-2006, 03:01 PM

i've got that knife. perfect for carrying with you. the frame is extremely light, you don't even know that you have it on you. the finish also holds up extremely well. haven't scratched paint off of mine yet. definately recommend it:blah:

Scott-300ex
06-20-2006, 03:08 PM
The black doesn't come off easily unless you sharpen it, or scratch it against something hard, then it will scratch and lighten the color up.

I'm a Kershaw fan myself, I have a Kershaw spring assist. They are very sharp, stay sharp and are strong, get 440 grade if you can.

Also get a partially serrated blade, they will cut threw some tough stuff in one cut vs. 4 cuts with the fine blade.

coolex
06-20-2006, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by PowerJunkie

what do you think

no offense but those dont look like any thing id ever want to carry around, they look fake, or like toys. its something id give my 12 year old cousin so hed think hes cool/:ermm:

TRX_450
06-20-2006, 06:25 PM
best knife ive ever had...20 bux at wally world

kershaw ken onion 1640 vapor

coolex
06-20-2006, 06:29 PM
im not a big fan of kershaw i had about 4 of them they were nice if u didnt use them but i abuse my stuff to the max. and the gerber is the only one that could hold up

PowerJunkie
06-21-2006, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Scott-300ex

Also get a partially serrated blade, they will cut threw some tough stuff in one cut vs. 4 cuts with the fine blade.

does anyone feel this way also. that its better then fine blade.

Scott-300ex
06-21-2006, 01:55 PM
You want tough?

Ever hear of Ka-Bar?

The SEALS use them even.

06-21-2006, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by TRX_450
best knife ive ever had...20 bux at wally world

kershaw ken onion 1640 vapor
The MSRP says 35.95 on those knifes

PowerJunkie
06-21-2006, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Scott-300ex
You want tough?

Ever hear of Ka-Bar?

The SEALS use them even.

lol what about price.

TRX_450
06-21-2006, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Jason#19
The MSRP says 35.95 on those knifes

yes that is a SUGGESTED price... i paid 20.97 for mine...

Plante400
06-21-2006, 06:13 PM
check out cheaperthandirt.com for ka-bar

TCracin440ex
06-21-2006, 06:21 PM

what do you think

i got that knife i got it at wally-world..very pleased with it...i had a kershaw ken onion...that bioch wouldnt cut hot butter after a few good beatings...i keep a pocket knife with me and ive cut corrigated plastic pipe with my gerber and everything...that kershaw wouldnt cut the damn corrigated pipe...and i had sheraded....id say stay away from sheraded because they are harder to sharpen then a straight blade....trying to sharpen a sheraded knife blade...even just the straight part of the blade will tear the stone up if you hit it with the sheraded end of the knife....

go head get that gerber...mine stays in my pocket everywhere i go...i cut everything with it...hell when i get bored at work ill sit there and carve up some stuff out of a small stick or somethin...

Aceman
06-21-2006, 09:15 PM
www.leatherman.com

I've had about 5 of their super tool knives and they're great. And that's only because I lose them. Whenever the blade dulled or I broke the screwdriver off reefing on it, I just sent the knife in and they replace the blade and broken screwdriver for FREE. This was just my experience with this particular knife, they have all different kinds but they all have the same 25 year warranty that will replace/sharpen anything that is broke. These knives are definitely worth taking a look at.

PowerJunkie
06-22-2006, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
i got that knife i got it at wally-world..very pleased with it...i had a kershaw ken onion...that bioch wouldnt cut hot butter after a few good beatings...i keep a pocket knife with me and ive cut corrigated plastic pipe with my gerber and everything...that kershaw wouldnt cut the damn corrigated pipe...and i had sheraded....id say stay away from sheraded because they are harder to sharpen then a straight blade....trying to sharpen a sheraded knife blade...even just the straight part of the blade will tear the stone up if you hit it with the sheraded end of the knife....

go head get that gerber...mine stays in my pocket everywhere i go...i cut everything with it...hell when i get bored at work ill sit there and carve up some stuff out of a small stick or somethin...

thats what i what i was thinking. i have a pocket knive now but its dull as a mother and i cant sharpen it cause its sheraded

Chicksdigme423
06-22-2006, 02:06 PM
take a small round file and angle it with the angle of the blade and go in each notch... then sharpen the straight part with a good old fashoned steel:cool: worked for me

Chino
06-22-2006, 02:37 PM
thats what i what i was thinking. i have a pocket knive now but its dull as a mother and i cant sharpen it cause its sheraded

I hope to god you use a knife better than you spell.

PowerJunkie
06-22-2006, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Chino
I hope to god you use a knife better than you spell.

yeah sorry about that i know its a problem

i usually use spell check if i know im wrong but this was a fast reply

Scott-300ex
06-24-2006, 10:36 AM
Yeh Ka-Bars are expensive, and I've never seen any folders from them.

If you brake or dull the blade on a Kershaw you can send it to the company and they will replace if for free as well.

I've never sharpened my Kershaw and its still very sharp. Same with my friend.

I sharpen my knives with a steel too, but my friend has this sharpener and it gets it better than a razor. It has a serrated sharpening block too, Its not hard to sharpen them if you have the right tool.

Its like a T and then you put the blade in a clamp on top of the T, then you take stones and insert them in the slots on the base of the T and there are like 7 slots so you can pick wut angle blade you want, then you move them up and down untill its sharp on both sides. And they have serrated block stones too.

LTZ400rider
06-24-2006, 12:43 PM
im thinkin about buying a boker, they are made in a town solingen in germany heres something i just read

Solingen is called the "town of blades", since it is known for the manufacturing of knives and scissors. In medieval times the swordsmiths of Solingen coined the town's image, which is preserved to date. 90% of German knives are produced in Solingen.

anyway u cant go wrong with anything german

https://www.bokerusa.com/images/BO589.jpg
https://www.bokerusa.com/images/90B.jpg

im tryin to find this one its from cabelas, i forget what the material was but its hard as hell and almosy impossible to sharpen, but never goes dull it might be ceramic i dunno

06-24-2006, 12:55 PM
I have 2 of those knifes you want and they're pretty nice. Hasn't disappointed me yet atleast.

LTZ400rider
06-24-2006, 12:55 PM
here she isnt
http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/Item/51/23/26/i512326sq01.jpg

ak_stick
06-25-2006, 11:30 AM
I have a couple, I love Gerber's but I must have a belt clip, and the gator doesn't have one..

My Emerson CQC-7 is a lot of knife. But its over 100 so I dont think many of you are going to be carrying one....

I also like the CRKT Desert Strider I have, its a pretty nice knife, gets used and abused, and hasn't failed me in the 8 or so months here in Iraq I've carried it...

hskers82
06-25-2006, 12:33 PM
If you want a serrated blade go with a spyderco.I have 3 of them and have never had to sharpen any of them(the oldest one was bought in 1997 so it has been used and abused).They will also sharpen the blades for free

Scott-300ex
06-26-2006, 06:15 PM
You will never find a knife you don't have to sharpen.

Unless you rarely use it.