PDA

View Full Version : Car auido

Honda TRX250ex
06-19-2006, 08:54 PM
Can someone explan the concept of car audio. I would like to get MTX Audio Thunder4500. They are 15 inch and i would like to get 4 of them. I would also like to get Pioneer TS-A6971R rear speakers and some Pioneer front speakers. Now I am confused about what kind of amp i would need. Can someone explan this to me?

LuckyOxygen
06-19-2006, 09:02 PM
First, how much money do you have?

Second, what is this going in?

Third; if you are this blank, PAY SOMEONE TO INSTALL IT!!!!

Fourth, just go to a local audio store and talk to them...

Honda TRX250ex
06-19-2006, 09:18 PM
ok... Its going into a eclipse GST and I have enough money. And i know how to wire and all that other chit i just need to know what kind of amp i need...

Iliketogofast
06-19-2006, 09:27 PM
4 MTX 15's? Are you sure?

Well, you're gonna need a hell of an amp for those firebreathers. The peak power is 500W apiece, so you'll need 2000 Watts just for that. Make sure you get a 4 channel.

The door speakers and rear speakers you mentioned aren't going to cut it. A friend of mine has 2 Audiobahn 15" hooked up to a 1200W and you can't hear anything but the thump.

You're gonna need to get some really nice door speakers and tweeters or else you aren't going to hear anything, even with the bass down at low volume. Whatever you choose, they will be powered by their own little amp that comes in the box (if they don't come with an amp they suck).

So remember - 2000W Amp AT LEAST, Better Door speakers with THEIR OWN AMPS.

Iliketogofast
06-19-2006, 09:28 PM
Well I'm going to tell you now you aren't going to fit 4 15's AND a big-*** 2000W amp into an Eclipse without using the back seat area.

Honda TRX250ex
06-19-2006, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Iliketogofast
Well I'm going to tell you now you aren't going to fit 4 15's AND a big-*** 2000W amp into an Eclipse without using the back seat area.
I was thinking about taking the back seats out. I dout i am going to put four in there probly 2 or 3. What kind of amps do you recommend?

06-19-2006, 09:50 PM
I don't know...I've been in shock since I saw four 10's in the back of a Ford Probe. God....it thumped so hard...It made the glass flex. :(

Honda TRX250ex
06-19-2006, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by MrMan
I don't know...I've been in shock since I saw four 10's in the back of a Ford Probe. God....it thumped so hard...It made the glass flex. :(
lol alright 2 15 inchers. I don't really want the glass to flex. So what kind of amps do you guys recomend for two 15 inch MTX Audio Thunder4500?

06-19-2006, 10:07 PM
If I had the money...I'd buy two 12's (get them both ported), buy a 1200 watt amp, hook it up with a friend and let them thump. I have a friend that had two 12's (not ported) and my other friend had one 10' (ported), and it thumped harder than the two 12's.

Iliketogofast
06-19-2006, 10:34 PM
Okay, now the two 15's will need a 1200W amp. The reason I say 1200W is because some amps have overpowered markings. You might even want a 1500W.

And for god's sake, spend the money you save from taking the 2 15's off on the highend door and rear speakers. Get the best ones you can find, because you are going to need them with these beast MTX's... They have metal cones (good) and big fat lips on them (really good)... They must THUMP.

By the way, the 2 15's are gonna be all the power you would want, but you can still get a set of 10's or even 8's to give a more clear bass sound that will mix with the sheer power of your 30 inches of fury.

Iliketogofast
06-19-2006, 10:36 PM
Oh yeah, and like MrMan said, get ported boxes.

Also, if I'm correct your Eclipse is a hatchback (unless it is the ugly one) and the subs will sound reeaaaal good... It will be like sitting in an S-10 with some beaters behind the seats.

06-19-2006, 10:37 PM
sheer power of your 30 inches of fury.

It's almost like you know me. :ermm:

Honda TRX250ex
06-19-2006, 11:12 PM
Alright what do you guys think about this.

Two 15 Inch MTX Audio Thunder4500

Dual 15 Inch Slot Ported Vented Sub Box

JBL GTO1201.1 II 1200 Watts AMP
Pioneer TS-A6971R Rear Speakers

Kenwood KFC-C1739ie Front Speakers
Kenwood KDC-MP232 CD/MP3

Stinger SF2 12 Volt Fan For the AMP

And also I would hook up a second battery.

LT250RMan
06-19-2006, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Honda TRX250ex
Alright what do you guys think about this.

Two 15 Inch MTX Audio Thunder4500

Dual 15 Inch Slot Ported Vented Sub Box

JBL GTO1201.1 II 1200 Watts AMP
Pioneer TS-A6971R Rear Speakers

Kenwood KFC-C1739ie Front Speakers
Kenwood KDC-MP232 CD/MP3

Stinger SF2 12 Volt Fan For the AMP

And also I would hook up a second battery.

Whats is the fuse rating(what size of fuses and how many) on that JBL 1200 watt amp?? Because i know how to figure out the RMS rating with the size of fuses so you know if the amp is over rated, most name brand amps are over rated just so people will go buy them, it doent matter on the name brand of car audio you have it matters on how it is installed and if it is wired right.

rbgnwa45
06-20-2006, 10:48 AM
Try to veer from huge companies like MTX, kicker, and alpine, although they all make very nice products. Smaller companies like mpyre, ascendant, RE, adire, incrminator, and audio acoustics are all better choices IMO because they aren't concearned about looks as much. 2 15" woofers will give you what you need with little power (350W each even), if the box is made by a professional so it gets the neccessary air requirements. You can get custom boxes or box blueprints at TCAB.com.

Ask these questions in car audio forums to get a much much better response.

www.carstereos.org

I'd like to use a 2006 RE XXX 18" in an 8 cubic foot enclosure in a civic. If that doesn't work, than 15" will have to do, with 2000W, and a set of mpyre's 652c 6.5" component set...Deck, I'm not sure, but anything sound quality oriented.

PismoLocal
06-20-2006, 11:13 AM
4 MTX 15's? Are you sure?

Well, you're gonna need a hell of an amp for those firebreathers. The peak power is 500W apiece, so you'll need 2000 Watts just for that. Make sure you get a 4 channel.

The door speakers and rear speakers you mentioned aren't going to cut it. A friend of mine has 2 Audiobahn 15" hooked up to a 1200W and you can't hear anything but the thump.

You're gonna need to get some really nice door speakers and tweeters or else you aren't going to hear anything, even with the bass down at low volume. Whatever you choose, they will be powered by their own little amp that comes in the box (if they don't come with an amp they suck).

So remember - 2000W Amp AT LEAST, Better Door speakers with THEIR OWN AMPS.

Are thunder 4500 dual voice coil or single? What is the impedence(ohm) rating of the sub?

Those two things will tell you what type of amp to get, and as far as door speakers coming with there own amp thats one of the dumbest things I've heard.
There are plenty of door speakers that will work just fine for your application that don't come with there own amp.
I've never even seen door speakers that come with there own amp. Some door speakers (component speakers) come with a speaker, a tweeter, and a crossover for tuning the frequency its not an amp though.

When looking for an amp you want to have an amp that puts out around the same rms wattage as the sub needs.

So if you have a dual voice coil sub(2 terminals on sub) that has a 2ohm impedence (2 ohms at each terminal) and is 500 watts rms,

Your optimum amp choice would be an amp that puts out around 500 watts rms (not max out put) at 1 or 4ohms.

For 4 ohms you would wire it series and for 1 ohm you could wire it in parallel. Both ways will represent a 2 ohm per voice coil load at the sub.

XCAdam89
06-20-2006, 11:14 AM
15's are a bit overboard IMO. A friend of mine has a 1600w amp with two 12's Audiobhan and it hits hard enough for anyone who is just going to use a car as a daily driver, heck his trim on the side of his car is starting to fall off now because of it.

FasstMidnightZ
06-20-2006, 11:18 AM
Your better off going with a 2 8500's or better yet...look around, there are alot more different brands just as good and even better. Dayton,Ascendant,DD,Image Dynamics..

PismoLocal
06-20-2006, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by bomb_squad
Your better off going with a 2 8500's or better yet...look around, there are alot more different brands just as good and even better. Dayton,Ascendant,DD,Image Dynamics..

A friend of mine has a SLEDGEHAMMER 9500 12" It hits Harder then any other 12 I have heard. When its turned up and hits you can't breath and it feels like you have a softball in your throat.