View Full Version : Rider seriously injured

KXRida
06-19-2006, 07:52 PM
Well I received news today that 450racer a.k.a Anthony who is a part of this forum was seriously injured at the steel city national on his LTR450. The information isn't clear, but from what I've heard, he had broken his back and had plates put in. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers.

Nick110
06-19-2006, 07:58 PM
Man that sucks he was really progressing fast from what I remember. I wish him a speedy recovery and that all is ok.

06-19-2006, 08:02 PM
He's in my prayers

Mxjunkie
06-19-2006, 08:06 PM
He nose dived and was slammed into the ground HARD..

Cant feel below his ribs and from what I herd he has 2 broken vertibra in his back..

A buddy of mine told me as soon as he got back from steele city :(

KXRida
06-19-2006, 08:42 PM
well I called his cousin and the doctor's told him that's he's most likely paralyzed. He broke his 4th, 5th, and 6th vertabre and now has a metal rod in his back.

Nick110
06-19-2006, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by KXRida
well I called his cousin and the doctor's told him that's he's most likely paralyzed. He broke his 4th, 5th, and 6th vertabre and now has a metal rod in his back.

Man that is not good at all. I hate hearing about this stuff. I will say a prayer for him tonight that he is not paralyzed and willbe OK.

MotoX3
06-19-2006, 08:45 PM
I read that on Pingertalk, thats terrible. Hes in my prayers also...

MX MaNiAc 06
06-19-2006, 08:49 PM
That makes me sad to hear. I remember him posting a video n he was really good. Seemed like a nice kid too. I hope all goes well.:ermm:

ny300exrider
06-19-2006, 08:55 PM
oh my god...i cannot believe this man. ive never met this kid in person but ive been cool with him online for years, he was the first person that i ever talked to relating to quads. he was on a 250ex at that time and he taught me how to do wheelies over the internet. i just hope to god he isnt paralized. i will say a prayer for him tonight. anthony was progressing and i could definitly see him making it big in racing. i truly hope he makes it out ok.

KXRida
06-19-2006, 09:04 PM
I don't know if he told you guys, but he got some huge sponsorship with hiper wheels. I'm his neighbor so this is how I know this. They were actually selling their house and moving to kansas where hiper wheels is.

Ripitupfilms
06-19-2006, 09:25 PM
I was at the national and hung out with anthony for my 3 days there .. He is an awesome rider and one of the nicest riders i hung out with all week. I was very sad when i saw his condition.. I hope he is in everyones prayers .

KXRida
06-19-2006, 09:27 PM
http://i72.imagethrust.com/i/92403/poasdf.gif

ny300exrider
06-19-2006, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by KXRida
I don't know if he told you guys, but he got some huge sponsorship with hiper wheels. I'm his neighbor so this is how I know this. They were actually selling their house and moving to kansas where hiper wheels is. wow thats pretty crazy. i knew just from his myspace,aim,etc that the kid was 110% determined to become a professional racer. I honestly have never seen anyone as dedicated to quad racing as him and it makes me feel like crap hearing about this.

Honda TRX250ex
06-19-2006, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Jason#19
He's in my prayers
Get well soon man. :(

KXRida
06-20-2006, 05:01 AM
Originally posted by ny300exrider
wow thats pretty crazy. i knew just from his myspace,aim,etc that the kid was 110% determined to become a professional racer. I honestly have never seen anyone as dedicated to quad racing as him and it makes me feel like crap hearing about this.

yes his heart was definitly set on being a pro quad racer. That's all he ever talked about.

Lolli2
06-20-2006, 05:57 AM
That's really bad news. I wish him and his family the best. I hope somehow he can recover from this.

fasterblaster09
06-20-2006, 06:06 AM
i hate hearing this kinda stuff :ermm: .. get well soon, you're in my prayers!

MissDee
06-20-2006, 06:14 AM
Hey guys this is his cousin Dee.
I just wanted to thank all of you for the
Support. Anthony is really going to appreciate it.
And he will be happy to hear from all of you.

Thank you so much...

||dEe||

outacontrol
06-20-2006, 06:47 AM
any update on his condition?

06-20-2006, 06:57 AM
get better soon man!!!!!!

honda400ex68b
06-20-2006, 12:51 PM
i raced with tony earlier this year, he was very determined to win, and he did. i talked with his mom & dad also, very nice family, i hope he gets well very soon. my thoughts and prayers are with him.

KXRida
06-20-2006, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by outacontrol
any update on his condition?

still can't feel below his belly button. Me and a few of his friend's are going to head over to the hospital in pittsburgh to see him this weekend.

MissDee
06-20-2006, 03:25 PM
This is Anthony's Aunt. Dee will be updating everyone on Anthony's condition. He remains in stable condition, but has had some very criticle moments following surgery. He is in the Intensive Care Unit at UPMC. He has suffered a serious spinal injury. He has broken several vertebre in his back about mid way and down. He does not have any sensation below his belly. The doctors are doing everything they can for him. We anticipate his transfer to a spinal cord injury rehabilitation center at some point. He is still too critical to be out of Intensive care at this time. The surgery however, was successful and the rods are keeping his spine stable. Even though he appears to be paralyzed, we along with Anthony are not giving up hope. He has a very long road to recovery ahead of him, and your comments and prayers mean more to him than you can immagine. We are making Anthony aware that everyone is commenting and praying for him. Please keep Anthony in your prayers.
Thank you so much, and I want to thank everyone at Cernics, especially Jeff, and those who work with him,who have come forth and offered assistance to Anthony and our family, and to all of Anthony's friends and everyone praying for him.
Thank you,
Aunt Joyce

KXRida
06-20-2006, 03:58 PM
yes, thank you guys very much for the prayers and support. Even some of the big name guys have called to check up on him. I know his dad said, Doug gust, John Natalie, Combes (sp?) hetrick racing, and david bailey called him. That just shows what kind of guys they are and it's nice to know that they are concerned about him. Thanks again guys.

Jonny117
06-20-2006, 07:23 PM
This is Anthony's little brother. I thank all of you for your prayers and support. When I heard that Anthony was injured, I was told that there was a chance he may not walk. Now, though, there is a chance he may walk. Times have been hard but Anthony seems very happy. He still cracks some jokes and appreciates the female nurses very much. I understand that he is under the influence of a lot of pain drugs but what he has said he has meant so much. He thanks God for everything that has happened to him and the fact that he is even alive. I love my brother so much but he seems so happy that he wrecked. He won't race again and he doesn't even want to anymore. He loves the family so much and he is very glad to be with us. He will continue to support the riders though he won't ride again. I have faith that he may walk but faith alone won't make much of a difference. I ask everyone and anyone to keep him in your prayers. Thanks guys for the support. If anyone wants to talk to me or leave a message for him, email me at wootidunno17@yahoo.com or dead revolver117 on AIM.

JRP
06-20-2006, 07:28 PM
thanks for the update man. It sucks just hearing about stuff like this. Expecially to someone as good of a ride as anthony. I remember watching him ride down at Budds Creek and hearing my dad saying that he will be a pro one day, and now hearing this..:( Thankfully he is ok and he survived.

KXRida
06-20-2006, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by JRP
Thankfully he is ok and he survived.

thankfully, but he's in a world of hurt.

stoled_400_:(
06-20-2006, 08:01 PM
thats horrible.... i really hope he makes a full recovery and can do whatever it is he decides he wants to do from now on, whether or not thats riding.... GOOD LUCK !!

KXRida
06-20-2006, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by stoled_400_:(
thats horrible.... i really hope he makes a full recovery and can do whatever it is he decides he wants to do from now on, whether or not thats riding.... GOOD LUCK !!

I talked to his parents and he told his parents that he never wants to ride again. After all of my crashes I felt the same way. I haven't touched a bike in 7 months since.

06-20-2006, 08:09 PM
yeah, after a broken back thats understandable...either way, its good to hear that hes in good spirits...

KXRida
06-20-2006, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by stoled_400_:(
yeah, after a broken back thats understandable...either way, its good to hear that hes in good spirits...

from what his dad was saying, he seems in a pretty good mood and is talking. Personally I don't think it's really hit him yet. We're just hoping and praying for the best. I hope this thing just turns out all right. I mean he's my age, he has the rest of his life ahead of him.

MissDee
06-20-2006, 09:04 PM
Guys...Anthony was a bit unstable today due
To major reactions to the morphine. Because he was
Reacting to it, he needed to get off of it immediately
Because it can cause further damage to the spinal
Cord.... He is still in ICU. He is alright right now...
But there is a long hard road ahead.

<3

||dEe||

KXRida
06-22-2006, 09:46 PM
well we drove 2 & 1/2 hours to see tony today and it was worth it. He seemed to be in pretty good spirit's and still made his usual wise crack jokes. He still can't feel anything below his belly. He did say about 10 minutes of every hour he can feel pins and needles in his legs. He said it feels like he wants to move them but he can't. He'll be starting physical therapy tomorrow. Hopefully things progress quickly. Man it really hits home when you see your best friend all laid up like this. It just about kills me.

He also said thanks for the support and prayers. He's working on getting a lap top hooked up to talk to you guys. I also saw the crash on the video camera and it was horrible. I don't know what went wrong. He did the jump about 40 times then the rear end just kicked way up one time and BOOM. If it was on disk I was going to upload it for him, but he has some special wire thing to his computer that he uses to upload movies.

Mxjunkie
06-22-2006, 09:48 PM
Damn I hope he recovers I would love to see him go pro!

QuadJunkies
06-22-2006, 10:12 PM
My heart and prayers are with him.. God bless :(

Pappy
06-22-2006, 10:30 PM
hang tuff bro. it aint over till its over:macho

LTandRaptorider
06-22-2006, 10:35 PM
I too saw the wreck. :(

Good luck guy on the road to recovery :cool:

Anthony's Dad
06-22-2006, 11:08 PM
Hi Everyone,

This is Anthony's Dad. He fractured his T5 & T6 vertebrae. The injury compressed his spinal cord and is currently paralyzed from just above his belly button. He has no feeling or movement below that. He underwent a five hour surgery to fuse his t3 to t8 vertebrae. The operation went very well and he has spent the last three days in the ICU unit of UPMC Presbyterian hospital in Pittsburgh, PA. He has progressed very well and was moved out of the ICU today. He sat up in a chair for the first time, and believe it or not, played ATV Off Road Fury III on a Playstation 2 that was brought from home. He is in great spirits thanks to all of you who have called, sent cards, and have posted comments in this forum. You're prayers and concerns mean so much to all of us!
A special thanks to Shane Hartman (tameheart) and Harlen of atvriders.com for their support and keeping everyone up to date. Anthony is being transferred to the Southside Clinic for Rehabilitation tomorrow (6/23/2006). I think his rehab is going to be a lengthy one and we will probably be living in Pittsburgh for a couple months.
Although his racing career is over, Anthony plans to attend many races speaking to riders about God and being saved. He will be attending Kansas University next year getting a degree in business. He would like to open his own business called "Godspeed Racing" and create a rider sponsorship program and develop new safety gear that could prevent other riders from suffering the same type of injuries that he has sustained. He is very focused and excited about his new role in the racing community and feels that this is a calling from God. I must admit that I was very proud of him when he won both the production and 265 classes at Steel City on Saturday, but I am much more proud of the way he is handling this life changing injury. Don't be surprised when you see him at the track before the season is over.
Thanks again to everyone including Jeff Cernic, Rita Coombs, Ron Lorraine, Darryl Rath, Hiper Technologies, the Natalie family, Hetrick Racing, and to all of you that have shown your support. It really means the world to Anthony and has helped his recovery immensely.
Life is pretty hectic, but Anthony should be able to respond to your e-mail and posts himself in a few days. Thanks again and God bless you!

Chris Mastrocola

JOEX
06-22-2006, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Anthony's Dad
Hi Everyone,

This is Anthony's Dad. He fractured his T5 & T6 vertebrae. The injury compressed his spinal cord and is currently paralyzed from just above his belly button. He has no feeling or movement below that. He underwent a five hour surgery to fuse his t3 to t8 vertebrae. The operation went very well and he has spent the last three days in the ICU unit of UPMC Presbyterian hospital in Pittsburgh, PA. He has progressed very well and was moved out of the ICU today. He sat up in a chair for the first time, and believe it or not, played ATV Off Road Fury III on a Playstation 2 that was brought from home. He is in great spirits thanks to all of you who have called, sent cards, and have posted comments in this forum. You're prayers and concerns mean so much to all of us!
A special thanks to Shane Hartman (tameheart) and Harlen of atvriders.com for their support and keeping everyone up to date. Anthony is being transferred to the Southside Clinic for Rehabilitation tomorrow (6/23/2006). I think his rehab is going to be a lengthy one and we will probably be living in Pittsburgh for a couple months.
Although his racing career is over, Anthony plans to attend many races speaking to riders about God and being saved. He will be attending Kansas University next year getting a degree in business. He would like to open his own business called "Godspeed Racing" and create a rider sponsorship program and develop new safety gear that could prevent other riders from suffering the same type of injuries that he has sustained. He is very focused and excited about his new role in the racing community and feels that this is a calling from God. I must admit that I was very proud of him when he won both the production and 265 classes at Steel City on Saturday, but I am much more proud of the way he is handling this life changing injury. Don't be surprised when you see him at the track before the season is over.
Thanks again to everyone including Jeff Cernic, Rita Coombs, Ron Lorraine, Darryl Rath, Hiper Technologies, the Natalie family, Hetrick Racing, and to all of you that have shown your support. It really means the world to Anthony and has helped his recovery immensely.
Life is pretty hectic, but Anthony should be able to respond to your e-mail and posts himself in a few days. Thanks again and God bless you!

Chris Mastrocola
Thank you and your family & friends for keeping everyone here up to date on Anthony's condition.

Wishing for a speedy recovery so he persue his ideals for advocating safety equipment.:)

QuadJunkies
06-23-2006, 08:47 AM
That is good to hear and very inspirational....

The power of Prayer can do wonders :)

Keep us up to date on his progress.

culookn
06-23-2006, 11:48 AM
i hate reading/hearing about this kind of stuff. i know it comes along with the sport but its still sad none the less. i had a pretty bad back injury myself a year ago and i was forced to give it up. get well soon kid.

KXRida
06-23-2006, 04:54 PM
I've actually located the kid that tony was chasing down in the race and he's what he had to say...

"Yeah Anthony Mastrocola #17
Yup i was in the same classes he was in.
I was winning the race and he was like in third coming up strong and then he was gone. I came around to those table tops next lap and he was just laying there with the stretcher and the life flight came. Its terrible that this happened
I hope he recovers well.
Matt shapaka #22 "

Anthony's Dad
06-23-2006, 07:55 PM
Anthony was in especially good spirits today. He was transferred to UPMC South Side. They specialize in rehabilitation for spinal cord injuries and they have been rated as one of the best in the country. He has increasing feelings of "pins and needles" in his legs and the doctors say that's a good sign. He is looking forward to a visit from John Natalie's mom tomorrow. She is absolutely one of our favorite people in the world. Ever since Anthony trained with John last year, they have had a special connection.
Many people have asked for his address and phone number. Now that he is out of ICU, he can talk on the phone. His info is:

UPMC South Side
Anthony Mastrocola
Unit 5A Rm 513
2000 Mary St.
Pittsburgh, PA 15203

Phone: 412-586-1798 (after 4PM please)

Thanks again for all your support. It means so much to him. Anthony knew the #22 machine had also won both motos and he had his work cut out for himself. Matt showed great sportsmanship by coming over and shaking his hand at the starting gate. Thanks and congratulations! Please keep Anthony in your prayers. God Bless You!

Chris Mastrocola

06-23-2006, 08:16 PM
Hope he gets better and soon. Its pretty cool that he just got in a bad wreck, and hes playing ATV offroad fury, you think after a crash like that someone wouldn't be able to think about riding.

450Racer
06-24-2006, 08:06 AM
Hey everyone. It's me. I wish I could write more but I'm very nauscious, and sick feeling this morning. The doctors said my body is not regulating heat right. I'm feeling real bad this morning. However, after I read everyone's posts, I feel better. With all of your prayers and kind words, I'm going to be pull through. I'll be at rehab for about 2 months and then my life should be easier. The pain is nearly unbearable at times right now. Within 2 or 3 weeks they said the pain will be much less. This will be the hardest time in the road to recovery. Thanks again everyone. You're the best :)

-Anthony

JRP
06-24-2006, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by 450Racer
Hey everyone. It's me. I wish I could write more but I'm very nauscious, and sick feeling this morning. The doctors said my body is not regulating heat right. I'm feeling real bad this morning. However, after I read everyone's posts, I feel better. With all of your prayers and kind words, I'm going to be pull through. I'll be at rehab for about 2 months and then my life should be easier. The pain is nearly unbearable at times right now. Within 2 or 3 weeks they said the pain will be much less. This will be the hardest time in the road to recovery. Thanks again everyone. You're the best :)

-Anthony

Hey anthony, i talked to you online for the past couple of months alot, and met u up at budds creek. I would just like to say that your a very strong person, for being able to do all this stuff to your body and still be able to get online and update urself to us, and to be playing atv vs mx on ps2. I would just like to say i hope u make a full recovery man, best of wishes. Pepper #859

KXRida
06-24-2006, 08:59 AM

-Anthony

hey glad to hear you're doing better. If you get a chance there are other people on the internet that are praying for you.

http://www.generationblueoval.com/forums/index.php?topic=1818.msg18127#new

Also be sure to read the news ticker at the top

http://z13.invisionfree.com/PlanetBlaster/index.php?showtopic=4839

http://www.twofastmx.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=778

http://www.pingertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5092

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=47805

Honda TRX250ex
06-24-2006, 10:16 AM
Glad to hear from you man. Get well soon

Mxjunkie
06-24-2006, 10:32 AM

-Anthony

Just keep thinkin postive :D

syckNtwisted121
06-24-2006, 04:47 PM

-Anthony

Anthony you are truely an insperation to all of us. Being able to stay strong and never quit is the key. You have alot of friends right here behind you willing to help in any way we can, dont ever forget that !! Good luck man, your in all of our prayers

sudsracer400
06-24-2006, 06:30 PM
I live not far from (About 20min) pittsburgh Anthony i used to race D5 a lot a few years ago if your parents or any close family or friends needs a place to stay while you recover my house has plenty of room. i have only met you a few times once was at the war memorial race this past yr. i ride the white 400ex #302 i was the one who pulled your quad to start it. let me know if you need anything since i live so local. my cell is 412-913-5268

dan harris
06-25-2006, 05:15 AM
Anthony, everyone at the Proving Grounds is praying for your speedy recovery. I can't imagine what your going thru emotionally or physically, but were all supporting you. Your courage, determination, faith and positive attitude along with all the support your recieving will hopefully push you through this.

Everyone is thinking and talking about you and I'm sure praying for your full recovery. We look forward to seeing you again. Be strong and keep your faith. Your a big inspiration to everyone who rides.

Anthony's Dad
06-25-2006, 08:20 AM
Hi Everyone,

Anthony started the day off pretty rough yesterday. The pain meds made him pretty sick and he was in a lot of pain. But around 4:00 he got much better, thanks in part, to a visit from Nancy Natalie, John's mom. They seem to have a very special bond and Anthony wanted to be at his best when she arrived. They talked for a few hours and Anthony got a new sensation in his right leg for the first time. It was very small, but a great sign. He is going through therapy and is very determined to work through the pain and get better. He makes me very proud to be his father. His brother Jonathan has also been a great cheerleader by keeping him focused on what lies ahead.
Again, thanks to everyone who has replied to this forum and kept Anthony in their prayers. It's working!!
The phone number that I posted earlier is accurate but hasn't been connected yet. It should be working by Monday. If anyone wants to call him, please wait until after 4pm until he returns from his daily rehab. Thanks again and God bless you!

Chris Mastrocola

450Racer
06-25-2006, 08:51 AM

-Anthony

/\ =) I'll be back tomorrow to see that kid <3

Hey...if anyone would like to contact Tony...here it is.

412 - 586 - 1798 < That's his room telephone number
* Call anytime after 4 PM, but always before 10 PM...
( ::rolls eyes:: rules are dumb... )

If you would like to send him cards or anything :

Anthony Mastrocola
UPMC Southside
2000 Mary Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15203

Wow guys...thanks for all the support.
Anthony is going to want to hear from all of you.

<3333

||dEe||

MissDee
06-25-2006, 08:53 AM
/\ Oops, my bad.
That was me.

Sorry Tony <3

||dEe||

klc204
06-25-2006, 09:08 PM
Hi Anthony, It's me Krista! It was so nice to go outside with you today. I bet you really enjoyed the fresh air. Keep up that positive attitude and hard work. We love you lots and are saying prayers for you. Hopefully we will see you sometime during the week.
love,
Krista, Joe, & Alyssa

Mxjunkie
06-25-2006, 09:19 PM
I'm gonna give anthony a call tomorrow :)

LittleMissE
06-25-2006, 09:23 PM
Thats sad to hear hope you get better soon!!!!

KXRida
06-25-2006, 10:04 PM
tony, I sent kyle your number and address. He said he'd call you when he gets off work tomorrow. I'll give you a call tomorrow, let me know how therapy goes.

450Racer
06-26-2006, 05:59 PM
Anthony had another rough start to the day, but is feeling much better. He has a mild infection that has kept him from feeling his best but now that we know, he should improve quickly. They have started his therapy full time, so he's pretty whipped by the end of the day. If you would like to call, please wait until after 5:30pm so he can catch his breath and finish supper. Your calls and cards have really kept him going. Thank you all so much. There have been no new sensations in his legs but that can sometimes take months so we're still hopeful. There are also new treatments that I have heard of that we are investigating thanks to Carrie at Racer Productions. Keep praying. Thanks!!!

Chris Mastrocola

rwhitaker04
06-26-2006, 08:02 PM
never talked to ya before..but its sad to see a rider down...and even worse in this condition...stay strong man...u sound like u got a excellent career ahead of you racing...maybe one day u'll be racing w/ the best..and this will just be a bad accident...that will all be forgotten when u win a national.....get well take er easy...ill pray for you man.....good luck...i may even let u hear me call you tomorrow....everyone could use words of encouragment..

RandRRrider
06-27-2006, 03:14 PM
Hey Anthony this is Mike Salerno. Just letting you know my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I wish you speedy recovery. Get well soon, brother!!!!

Mike

450Racer
06-27-2006, 04:07 PM
hey everyone! :) thanks for all the kind remarks, i check this as much as i can. i have to be breif today though. i want everybody to do one thing for me. appreciate every little thing and life and try to keep a positive attitude. life is sooo much easier when you can accept bad times and hold on to the good :). right now i'm on about 10 pills from bowel softner, pain meds, blood pressure. it takes about an hour and a half to get up and get ready in the morning, which consists of cathing (peeing), getting out of bed and into the chair, washing my face, putting in contacts, and getting into my clothes. the only reason i'm writing that is to let you know that it doesn't phase me. i'm a whole new person, with a whole new outlook. this gave me another change to see the world from a different perspective. i truly love life now. pain is not a bad thing. pain makes you stronger and more tolerable. the more pain i have and after i go through it, the stronger i am for the next pain. it's a whole new level, something undescribable. but, it'll make me stronger than i've ever dreamed of. thanks everyone for the support, i love you all and hope to ttyl! :)

Anthony

TheChknhwk
06-27-2006, 04:15 PM
You are a strong man, I hope your calling brings you peace and happiness.

juanki
06-27-2006, 04:18 PM
i have just a few months on this site, just heard about you a few weeks ago, i'm with you and also my prayers, had a bad crash a year ago, almost lose my arm, but with God's help i'm almost ok. keep up the spirit, i wish you a fast recovery but most of all a good one, take it one step at a time, wish you the best.

juan carlos alfaro, from cd. obregon, sonora, mexico.

honda400ex68b
06-27-2006, 05:03 PM
hey Anthony, we raced at rocket a few years ago, and at johnstown this past january, i wish you and all your family the best. my thought's and prayers are with you. i hope to see you at the races real soon. God bless you.

catch22blaster
06-27-2006, 06:59 PM
I'm Praying everyday for you Anthony.
I sent you a Private Messege also.

HiPer Sales
06-27-2006, 10:52 PM
Anthony, as you know, you're in our prayers and have nothing less than our best wishes for you and your famiy! Your outlook on life if nothing short of astouding!! I know personally, after reading the posts by you and your family, I have remembered that we all need to "take time to smell the roses".

We all wish you nothing but the best and know that we are here for you all if you need anything!

Take care and best wishes!

Angie

QuadJunkies
06-27-2006, 11:40 PM
Now if that wasnt inspirational- I dont know what is... :)

mic 902
06-28-2006, 03:06 AM
Hey man really sorry to hear bout this. Get well soon. Your an inspiring person:D

Just wondering,has anyone noticed that this happened close to 1 year after the tragic death of Kelly Chang. Didnt mean to bring up a sad time in the history of the sport but thats kinda scary in some ways.

06-28-2006, 08:50 AM
thats already been a year??? :eek2: and yeah, anthony, its awesome to see that you're in such good spirits...keep it up!! you know everyone here is behind you 100%(even if we've never even met you, as is the case with myself)

KXRida
06-28-2006, 07:04 PM
well you parents asked me to wash your truck for you, so I did. After 4+ hours of washing, waxing, vaccuming, and polishing, I got it done. I hope it looks good. Here are some pics for ya.

http://i75.imagethrust.com/i/512518/little4.jpg

http://i75.imagethrust.com/i/512522/little.jpg

http://i75.imagethrust.com/i/512523/little2.jpg

http://i75.imagethrust.com/i/512524/little3.jpg

http://i75.imagethrust.com/i/512528/rear.jpg

now the inside...

http://i75.imagethrust.com/i/512530/inside.jpg

http://i75.imagethrust.com/i/512529/inside2.jpg

klc204
06-30-2006, 12:48 PM
Hi Anthony
thinking of you and you are in my prayers always. keep the faith as you are on the prayer list at st. bridgets church in ct. will come to see you soon love you very much okay handsome chin up love you aunt judy

Quad18star
06-30-2006, 01:18 PM
You know they say whatever doesn't kill you , only makes you stronger ... and you're proof of this .

You're an inspiration to us all with your positive attitude towards a life changing ordeal . Not many people in this world would have the strength to continue but from what I've read from you , you're chalking this up as a new beginning to another phase in your life .

My family and I are wishing you nothing but the best .

Greg

Uncle Todd
06-30-2006, 08:11 PM
Hi Anthony,
Aunt Judy sent me this link, and I have been reading all these wonderful replies you have gotten. I will be in to Pa. to see you this weekend, but I have been praying for you every day.
Judy already has you on the prayer list at St. Bridgets, and my brother Mark and his wife Kate have you on the list at the Congregational church here in Cheshire as well.
I am grateful to see all the replies and support you are getting from all the members on this site. God bless you all and please be safe.
Anthony, I will see you in a few days.
I love you buddy
Uncle Todd

MissDee
07-01-2006, 02:12 AM
Hey Guys,
Here's an update on Anthony Mastrocola, #17. Tony is still at UPMC South Side Spinal Cord Rehabilitation Center in Pittsburgh, PA. The address is UPMC South Side, 2000 Mary Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15205. He is now in a private room #510, and his phone number is 412-586-1794. He is doing much better, but the rehabilitation is brutal! It is a daily struggle, but Tony is pulling through. Tony wants to thank everyone for their support. Everyone that has sent him cards, financial support, prayers,phone calls, and thoes that have come to visit him. With your prayers and support Tony is making it. Therapy is a daily struggle, but he is getting stronger every day. He is expected to remain here at UPMC for at least another month, or so. Myself, along with many family members are staying here in pittsburgh with Tony to get him through this. Please continue to pray for Tony and support him.
Thank you so much,
DEE

KXRida
07-01-2006, 05:16 AM
tell him my family and I are planning on coming down for a visit again in a week or two.

450Racer
07-02-2006, 08:03 AM
hey everyone. just wanted to say hi and update a little. i will be back on a 450 next year. however, i won't be able to race. i don't have enough stability to be fast enough to compete, that would also be unsafe. however, the 450 will include...hump seat, sissy bar, seat belt, leg braces, air shift (if possible), and clips for my boots so they don't bounce around. i can only feel from my nipples and up. however, i can contract my ab muscles 25% and can feel pressure which is a good sign. i'm researching a stem cell injection surgery. someday i will walk again...and maybe even race :devil:

therapy is intense. i am here in rehab for 4 more weeks. 4 hours everday for physical and occupational therapy. special thanks goes out to the following in the past few days: Rocco Arno Jr. and Family, The Cernic Family, Shane Hartman, Michael Salerno, Brian Jenkins, Michelle Suciu, Kyle Damman, Matt Shapaka, and everyone else that has helped. I'm becoming stronger every day. it won't be long until i ride again :cool: ttyall later

Mxjunkie
07-02-2006, 08:11 AM
Awesome! Good to hear your still going to be able to ride again! :macho

I think only good things can happen from here it sounds like everything has been positive so far. One of these days I'd like to shake your hand because your additude and determination during this is truely amazing! :)

As for the airshift, anything is possible :p I'm sure you could find a company to help you out!

Anthony's Dad
07-04-2006, 11:45 PM
Hey Everyone,

Well, today was a good day! Anthony has been experiencing some good signs. He still cannot feel or move his legs but he got muscle spasms in his thighs and his reflexes in his knees and ankles have returned. The doctor says that it's a good sign. Even though his injury happened at the T6 spinal level but his injury has been upgraded to a T8. That means he has regained the sensation and movement of a patient who was injued ata apoint lower in the spine. We hope and pray that this improvement continues.
Tomorrow is a big family meeting with Anthony's doctor, nurses, and therapists to give us a formal update of his condition. I ask all of you to keep praying for him. It is working! Thank you all to everyone that has shown their support. You're the best.

Anthony's Dad

USAMoto00
07-04-2006, 11:51 PM
I keep reading all this good news and I can't wait to see you take full advantage Anthony. We'll be racing at Wolfmann's again in no time at all buddy. You keep your head up and if you need anything, don't hesitate to call. We think about you everyday and hope your improvements continue. God speed bro.

jdwxv3
07-05-2006, 12:24 AM
Stay strong and keep working hard. Sorry to hear about this. You and your family are in my prayers.....Josh W.

RandRRrider
07-05-2006, 06:03 AM
Great to hear!!! Stay strong!! We're all behind you!!!

JenniferRath
07-05-2006, 07:25 AM
That is awesome- with a family supporting you like this and your "amazing" attitude- only the best will be possible for you!

You have a new fan base and I know many people are checking in on here to see how you are doing- and even though you are quite a ways away- the guys in the shop here ask how your are doing-

They want to know if you need another "care" package
:)

Jennifer Rath and the Rath Racing Crew

jjames/jlawson
07-05-2006, 07:28 AM
You are amazing......keep your great smile and attitude.
Everyone at Walsh Racecraft are praying for ya.
Jeremy Lawson # 16

neworleans400ex
07-05-2006, 10:22 AM
Hey Anthony,
I am new to the forum and riding altogether. I never knew you, but I know through reading what everyone has said that you are a strong and determined person. I don't think that I could be as strong as you have been through all of this. You are truly an inspiration to me. You have a wonderful supporting family behind you, and an awesome group of friends here. You have all of my best wishes.
You are in my thoughts and prayers, and I wish you a speedy recovery.
Keep your head up and everything is going to be alright. God is on your side buddy!
-Scott

MissDee
07-05-2006, 10:30 PM
Hey guys...

Today was the family meeting with Anthony's doctor.
He confirmed that he is a T8 injury instead of a T6
Which is good - because the spine is in the process
Of healing. :D He has gained feeling and movement
In his abdomen that he did not have before.
Although it is not all back, he is progressing...
The doctor stated that he could be healing further
And gaining more feeling as he heals.
:D This is all really wonderful news. Anthony is busting
His butt to work hard in therapy and gain upper body
Strength. We are all very proud of him...

You would not believe the strength it takes to do
This...it's unbelievable what he does. We are truly
Amazed by him. :) He is getting stronger everyday and
Continues to advance.

Again, please, continue to support Anthony with all
Of these wonderful messages.

Feel free to send letters and call him at any time
While he is here.

If you need his number and address, visit
My website and view the blogs...

www.myspace.com/Ne0n_C0ma < copy and paste
(Further information is there, as well)

:D Thank you guys so much.
Please continue to pray for Anthony...
It's obviously working!

:D THANK YOU <3 xoxo

||dEe||

jcv400ex
07-06-2006, 05:07 AM
Good news! I'm glad to see your progressing and staying positive through this injury! Your a true inspiration to everyone on this site and we will keep praying for you! You have more heart than anyone I know.

Honda TRX250ex
07-06-2006, 08:43 AM
I'm glad to hear that he is pregressing well. Stay strong Anthony!
Thanks for keeping us updated Dee.

Prey
07-06-2006, 12:07 PM
all I can say is .... dayum!!!!!!!!!!!!

you are a living, breathing, talkin "made for tv movie"

i am nothing short of awe-struck by your injury, the fact that you posted on here such a short time after, and most importantly your super-posotive attitude

i wish you a full recovery man,

but even if you should not make a full recovery, you have made it more than obvious to anyone reading this thread that it will not slow you down and that you will be succesful in anything you try!!!!

Simply Amazing!!!!!!

Pappy
07-06-2006, 01:01 PM
I printed this thread and will be sending it to a friend who had the same basic injury as Anthony 2 years ago. Unfortunatley he doesnt share in Anthonys optimism and has been having difficulties dealing with his injury. Maybe in some way he too can see that life doesnt end when something like this happens, in a way it is a new begining.

Stay strong Anthony, you have alot fo folks pulling for you!

450Racer
07-06-2006, 05:44 PM
Hi Pappy,

It's Chris Mastrocola. Please feel free to have your friend call Anthony between 5:30pm and 10:00pm. I am sure he would love to help another rider. Oh, by the way, Anthony is in the midst of selecting a wheelchair for himself. The first thing he said was "I'm sending it to Pappy to have a custom powdercoat job done to it!"
His mind is still racing but his legs are a bit less enthusiastic. I doubt if he can or will race quads again, but I have no doubt that he will be behind the wheel of something. Maybe a specially equipped sprint car or off road truck. Who knows, but I have a feeling he'll show up at a track somewhere waiting for the gate to drop. He's hoping to save some money and get a Rhino. He could belt himself in and enjoy the trails and freedom again. Thanks everyone for all your support. It's really what keeps him motivated.

Anthony's Dad

450r51
07-06-2006, 06:44 PM
hey get better man, i was talking to ur buddy jesse fatula at breezewood this past weekend, he was really shakin up about ur accident. any ways i hope ya get better. just remember they race rhinos at the itp quadcross.

ITSTOCK
07-06-2006, 07:12 PM
I'm new to the whole atv scene, and I have been reading this thread from the beginning. I have finally been able to put a couple of words together in order to reply.

In short, I am simply AMAZED by Anthony and his attitude. I can not describe it in words, it is that simple. My jaw dropped and my eye's widened as I read Anthony's reply and the statements about him. It really has given me a new outlook on life. The strength, courage, and attitude of Anthony should be an inspiration to EVERYONE.

Stay positive and only good things will come.

Steve

KXRida
07-06-2006, 07:33 PM
chris are you guys going to come home after anthony's rehab? I was helping Joe out yesterday moving some stuff. Don't worry about your grass, I'll cut it for you. It's no problem

Pappy
07-06-2006, 07:35 PM
Oh, by the way, Anthony is in the midst of selecting a wheelchair for himself. The first thing he said was "I'm sending it to Pappy to have a custom powdercoat job done to it!"

Just send it down, we will handle the rest!

Anthony's Dad
07-07-2006, 10:22 PM
Anthony had a great day today. Jeff Cernic drove down to visit and crack the whip as only Jeff can. Anthony was very moved that Jeff took the time out of his hectic schedule to visit a few hours. Sometimes you really don't know someone until the chips are down. I can truly say, Jeff Cernic is the real thing. We are very fortunate to be associated with such a great guy and true friend.

To Pappy: You're the man. Anthony ordered his chair with titanium wheels, red spokes, and a carbon fiber backrest. It's like quad racing all over again!

To KXrider: We're not very sure of the future. We are considering moving and admitting Anthony to one of the model centers for spinal cord rehabilitation. There are sixteen across the country. We have been spending many hours researching his options. He is receiving good treatment and rehab at UPMC, but we want to find the best in the country for ongiong treatment and maximizing his potential. It's a drastic change in our plans, but Anthony only has one life to live and we'll do anything to make sure he has the best chance possible at a productive and enjoyable life.

I know I keep thanking everyone who is putting posts on this forum and sending cards but we can't say it enough. The words of concern and encouragement have been amazing. Anthony is putting 100 percent into his rehab and recovery knowing that so many people are behind him. God Bless all of you and please keep praying for him.

Also, please keep John Natalie, Jr. in your prayers as he is undergoing surgery to repair his hand that he first injured at the Steel City National.

The Mastrocola Family

jdwxv3
07-07-2006, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the updates. I will hope and pray for the best. There are so many of us on here that have came sooooo very close to being in Anthony's shoes. Really makes a person look at things a completly different way. I truely hope the best for Anthony all he has to do is keep on fighting and never ever give up hope...especially with todays technology. I am routing for you all, all the way......Later, Josh

KXRida
07-08-2006, 05:28 AM
tell anthony we are going to try and visit him tuesday if we can.

by the way, your grass is all cut, I just have to finish the trimming today after work.

coolex
07-08-2006, 07:51 PM
to bad i still didnt have the wheel chair i got at the dump, i painted it up ,and gave it to some kid that had some old rusty one
he really needed it so i gave it to him, i could do some nice wheelies but he needed it alot more than me well here it is when i had it

u cnt tell from these pictures but when it was out in the sun, it really had a nice sparkle to it, and because it was spray painted over chrome it realy made it sparkle and shine

catch22blaster
07-08-2006, 08:54 PM
Im still thinking of ya Anthony Praying everyday hoping that u will be able to feel your legs again. Hang in there Pal

atvRiDa400ex
07-08-2006, 08:57 PM
God bless and my prayers are with him...

KXRida
07-10-2006, 09:33 PM
we're trying to get him a day pass to come home from the hospital so all of his friends, family, and I can see him.

Ghost-Rider
07-10-2006, 10:02 PM
Dont think i ever really talked to you before but at least you are having a good take on it and even if you cant race anymore you seem from what iv read to have a good attuide
Get better soon.... or later whatever it takes. :)

KXRida
07-11-2006, 07:37 AM
chris here is that article I was telling you about last night. Hope anthony enjoys the card we sent down.

July 07, 2006

David Bailey Benefit: The Icon needs your support

Dear friends in the motocross community,

This letter is about David Bailey. Unfortunately, it is not a time to talk about how well David is doing at overcoming adversity. It is not a time to talk about how once again David has shown the unbelievable resolve to overcome recent significant physical setbacks. This is a letter to ask for help.

Most of you know David's history and dedication to the sport of motocross. You know of his great successes, and also of the great sacrifice that David paid, ultimately ending his career and confining him to a wheelchair for the rest of his life.

Over the past twenty years, David has always lent a hand and done what he could to help other injured riders when possible. He is unaware that some of his closest friends and family have now reached the conclusion that his recent setbacks have simply escalated to the point of needing emergency financial assistance in an immediate fashion. David is in a very bad place as we type this. The Phrase “It’ll get worse, before it gets better” is definitely the case here. David has already undergone one surgery and is now in need of financial help for the next. Physically, he is broken and needs special medical attention immediately - which he cannot afford at this time.

We are asking the motocross community to please pull together and help David. Time is of the essence, and the situation is very serious. We ask that you donate whatever you can afford as soon as possible to The Full Circle Foundation. This foundation helps athletes like David to get help when needed, and was founded by one of the Bailey's good friends a few years ago. The Full Circle Foundation knows of and understands the very serious position that David is in, and they will be responsible for making sure your donation helps David directly.

Those of us who know David personally understand that he does not feel comfortable asking people for anything, especially with the timing of what has happened recently with fellow riders Ernesto Fonseca and James Marshall. We are currently in the process of planning other benefits due to the fact that the amount of money needed is quite substantial. Since immediate medical attention is of the utmost importance, it is imperative that we begin fundraising immediately.

Please Donate today:
Visit www.fullcirclefoundation.com and click on the "Donate Now" link at the bottom of the page and choose "Clinic Program", or

Please mail all checks to:

Full Circle Foundation
Attn: David Bailey Fund
3585 Keefer Road
Chico, CA 95973

Full Circle Foundation is a 501c(3) tax-deductible foundation. (All letters will be forwarded to David and a tax-deductible receipt will be mailed to you for all checks sent)

Before you finish this letter and decide to perhaps do something tomorrow or next week, please understand that we would never ask for help for a person like David Bailey without completely understanding how dire the situation has become.

Sincerely,
Friends of David Bailey
Mark Edwards
Todd Jacobs
Rick James (father of Ricky James)
Don Flaner (president - Full Circle Foundation)
Shawn DeCloedt
Donn Maeda (editor – Transworld MX)
Davey Coombs (editor – Racer X)
Ryan Hughes
Johnny O’Mara
James Stewart
Dan Harvell (Cahuilla Creek MX)
Johnny Leach
Cliff White (American Honda)
Bob Babbitt (Challenged Athletes Foundation/Competitor Magazine)
David Evans (MX Edge)
Ludovic Boinnard (One Industries)
Marc Blanchard (One Industries)
Danny Dobey (One Industries)
David Izer (DMXS Radio)
Kevin Kelly (DMXS Radio)

Please read the statement below from Don Flaner, president of Full Circle Foundation, regarding David’s medical situation:

David has developed a very dangerous pressure sore that has become so deep that it has become life threatening. Insurance is only taking care of part of the medical costs and David now requires much needed medical attention that goes beyond insurance. As many of you know David is the Spokesperson for Full Circle Foundation and FCF is very involved with the Reeve-Irvine Center. We were very fortunate to have had time with Christopher Reeve. Unfortunately for all of us, and the reason for our concern, is that Christopher died from this same type of infection that David now has, and that has now made this extremely important.

I am very proud to have David as a friend and incredibly grateful for all of the work he has done for Full Circle Foundation, especially the nights he has sat up answering letters and emails consoling others that have been injured. His continued dedication to our sport is incredible, and his desire to help others is way beyond that of a mere mortal. It is now payback time.

Don Flaner
President Full Circle Foundation

rwhitaker04
07-11-2006, 08:10 PM
all the faith in the world that anthony will be back doing something he loves in no time keep your head up...remember god decides your path..and your a hell of a kid for making it this far and advancing so much....i truely believe..u will be doing something big w/ your life....prolly sooner then later....stay strong...man...Ronnie..

450Racer
07-14-2006, 04:42 PM
Hello Everyone,

Anthony is doing well. He met a new guy in the hospital that had an accident racing BMX. They're the same age and share a lot in common. He has a day pass for this Sunday 7/16. He would like to get his friends together to see TFAF Tokyo Drift at the Park Hills Plaza at the 12:30pm showing. After that, at about 2:45pm, we'll have a little get together at the house just to chill out with his friends.
As always, thanks to everyone who has sent cards, letters, and gifts and to those who have visited at the hospital. I can't remember all of them right now, but a special thanks to Nancy and John Natalie, Joe and Heather Byrd, Jason Dunkleberger, Doug Gust, Jeremiah Jones and family, Rocco Arno, Jr. and family, Eric Lubert, Kyle Damann, Jeff Cernic, Fox Shox, Atv Scene Magazine, Harlin Foley at ATVriders.com, Daryl and Jennifer Rath, Shane Hartman, Jeremy Lawson, Jorge Cuaratis, Randy Williams and family, and Matt Shapaka.
Your cards, letters, and visits have kept him motivated and focused. Please keep them coming!
Thanks also to Ron Grey and the Burgi's Roundhouse Riders. You are a very special group of guys.

Chris Mastrocola

#17 "Live Fast or Die Slow!"

Pappy
07-14-2006, 04:47 PM
glad to see he is escaping for a day!

KXRida
07-14-2006, 06:56 PM
I might miss the movie, but I'm going to try to get out of work early. I'll start telling some of his friends. Maybe Dee can call a few that he knows. Tell him I'll be there no matter what. If you guys needs anything, just call the house and someone should be here.

-Randy

dan harris
07-14-2006, 08:09 PM
Glad to hear your progressing so well. Your an inspiration to us all. Everyone is praying for you, and everybody here is talking about how strong and positive you've been. I know your destined for great things, with your attitude and dedication I'm sure you can do ANYTHING you want to do. God bless you and your family, please let me know if there is anything at all I, or the park can do for you.

hessianmx111
07-15-2006, 09:50 AM
I remember when I first joined this site, anthony had a 250ex and posted pics of him doing wheelies and jumping his snow jump and then he started getting faster, had a 300ex, then his dad's 400, then that 450r, and i hadnt really looked at this site in months, then i see this thread and it blew me away. Things like this shouldn't happen, and it's aweful, but Anthony's attitude on the whole thing is greatly inspirational to me, and reminds me alot of Ricky James, he was an up and coming amateur racer who was paralyzed last year from a crash. His myspace is www.myspace.com/walkingisoverrated , he has done so much since the accident, he has dropped into the halfpipe at the x games in his wheelchair, started racing and riding again, and is getting ready to start college, i reccomend everybody check his myspace out and read up on him. Stay strong Anthony and don't let anything hold you back, I know you will get what you want out of life no matter what.

KXRida
07-15-2006, 09:10 PM
tony, your link to the video didn't work, so I uploaded it to a different site.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g56eR2VI8Gs&feature=PlayList&p=4082C498E33A953B&index=0&playnext=1

Anthony's Dad
07-15-2006, 10:19 PM
Hi Guys,

In addition to the movie and barbeque, any friends can meet us at the Eat n Park in Altoona for breakfast Sunday morning at 10:30am. Sorry, dutch treat.
Thanks for your comments Dan. I'm still holding on to my raffle tickets for the pite bike drawing. Maybe we'll win. Knowing Anthony, he'll figure out a way to put training wheels on it!! Thanks for your support!

Chris

KXRida
07-15-2006, 10:40 PM
I should be able to make it out to eat n' park, but I have to be at work at 12:00. I plan on being no later than 4:00, so I'll see him at your house.

marie888
07-17-2006, 07:13 PM
Hello Anthony,

We all had a great day on your first visit home with family and friends. Check out the photo. Sending a Special Thank you! to all your friends that took time out to visit with you! Thanks Everyone...you put a smile on Anthony's face!! It was a great day.
A very special Thank You to Aunt Joyce for her constant Love and Support at the hospital, and cousin Dee who helped to make all the connections for Anthony's visit. Thanks to Little Caesars for making some great pizza for us on Sunday!

We are sending you warm wishes for continued Faith and Courage on your journey to recovery. You are an amazing inspiration to all of us. We are proud of you!!

Miss you and see you soon!
With all our Love,
Aunt Joan and cousin Angela

Pappy
07-17-2006, 07:15 PM
Im waiting on Anthony's review of the movie. Being hurt doesnt mean I will cut you any slack...pony up son, pony up:D

KXRida
07-17-2006, 07:25 PM
yea I'm glad he enjoyed our company. Tell him I'm going on vacation from july 22nd to the 29th, so I won't be home, but I'll be sure to call him.

- Randy

Dune Surfer
07-17-2006, 07:58 PM
Wow,
I just finished reading this entire thread, I have to admit it brought a tear to my eyes. It brings back some rough memories after my daughter injury.
I just want Anthony to read this and believe that it's never over till it's over. Keep trying and you can suprise yourself.
My daughter was injured and told she would never walk, at best never walk right. Well after some tough surgery's and a couple of years of praying she made a complete recovery. Anything is possible, you can never give up. I believe doctors must always give you the worst case, to prepare you for the worst, but the human spirit and body can do amazing things, trust me I know. Someone with your will to win will be a winner in life no matter what you set your mind to. I saw my daughter become a stronger and better person because of her injury.
Keep the faith no matter what!!
Everyone is pulling for you, and in our thoughts every day. Hold on to that and keep fighting
Tony

Anthony's Dad
07-17-2006, 10:28 PM
Thanks Dune Surfer, we love to hear inspirational stories like that. It let's us know no matter how good the doctors are, God is ALWAYS in charge.

Anthony was kind of sick today, but he said he can feel a dull soreness in his lower back - about 8 inches BELOW his line of paralysis. He also said he seems to be able to move some muscles in his lower abdomen. We're not sure if anything will come out of it, but it has to be a good sign.
He was pretty whipped after a long day with friends, but he had the time of his life! He was a little down today and his right leg swelled up much larger than his left. We were all very concerned about a blood clot but the Doppler test showed a hematoma that should shrink in a few days.
Anthony got back from his Doppler test to find ANOTHER package from Jorge Cuartis at FMF Media All Stars. This guy is the real thing!! This package was filled with six or seven video games eight T-shirts, and loads of other great stuff. If anyone needs anything racing related, support his business. He gives back so much more than he gets. I'll post the number and website tomorrow. After Anthony opened his package, he was a new man. Thanks from all of us Jorge!!
I'm a bit of a hack with some computer stuff, but as soon as I can figure a way to reduce the file size of a photo, I'll post a couple of Anthony.
Much to his Mother's dismay, Anthony is talking about racing again. He hopes to save up some money and invest in a Yamaha Rhino. He heard that they have started a new class for Rhino's. We would never want to risk further injury, but hopefully a reinforced roll bar, a five point shoulder harness, and the best gear would offer good protection. As a parent, telling him no would only work until he is eighteen anyway and he is too much of a competitor to sit on the sidelines. Whether or not he chooses to race again, we are so proud of him for his attitude, his faith, and the guts and determination that he has shown faced with this challenge. We have always been proud of who he is. He has never messed with drugs or alchohol and is not afraid to stand up for what he believes in... even if it makes him unpopular sometimes. But nothing can compare with the pride and sheer awe that we feel when we see his courage, determination, and desire to turn a negative into a positive.
Anthony, my son, YOU are MY hero. I love you!

Dad

Anthony's Dad
07-17-2006, 11:06 PM
Anthony,

I just want to say what an awesome young man you have become. I know that through this accident, you will be able to help and inspire many people. I see you working so hard in rehab and I know you will walk again someday. Your Dad and I will be beside you every step of the way. We will do everything in our power to make sure you live your life to the fullest. You are a great racer, but that doesn't define you. You have a great mind, personality, and all the girls say you're HOT! You are going to achieve so much in your life because of the person you are. I know you think you are too grown up for it, but I wish you would let me kiss you goodnight. Anyway, I'm so grateful that God gave you to me and you're still YOU. I love you more than you'll ever know!!

Mom :p

Anthony's Dad
07-17-2006, 11:25 PM
To all the racers and Parents,

Please make sure your child has the absolute best protective gear possible. Speed and power are important but please spend your money on safety gear first. Anthony purchased top of the line gear at Cernic's Suzuki including a 661 helmet, and other equipment that saved his life. The doctors at UPMC in Pittsburgh said that the force of the impact to his head could have caused severe brain injury or death if he were wearing a lesser quality helmet. The 661 helmet cracked but stayed intact and provided the necessary cushioning that saved him from a severe head injury. I know there's a lot you can do to make your quad or bike faster, but please consider high quality gear first. Your safety is more important than crossing the finish line first. Thank you. Good luck and stay safe!

Anthony's Mom

bwamos
07-18-2006, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Anthony's Dad
To all the racers and Parents,

Please make sure your child has the absolute best protective gear possible. Speed and power are important but please spend your money on safety gear first. Anthony purchased top of the line gear at Cernic's Suzuki including a 661 helmet, and other equipment that saved his life. The doctors at UPMC in Pittsburgh said that the force of the impact to his head could have caused severe brain injury or death if he were wearing a lesser quality helmet. The 661 helmet cracked but stayed intact and provided the necessary cushioning that saved him from a severe head injury. I know there's a lot you can do to make your quad or bike faster, but please consider high quality gear first. Your safety is more important than crossing the finish line first. Thank you. Good luck and stay safe!

Anthony's Mom

I agree 100%.
Saftey should always be #1.

I've seen too many people get severly hurt that would have had nothing more than a bloody lip and a headache if they would have been wearing the proper gear.

KXRida
07-18-2006, 11:47 AM
yes, anthony don't give up man. You never know what may come out of this whole thing. You by far have been one of my best friends that I've ever met. Since all of the recent events occured, I have gained even more respect for you. Your attitude and outlook has made me realize what we take for granted. I don't know of anyone that could've been as strong as you when faced with something so terrible. Keep up the hard work in rehab and I'll give you a ring when I'm done with work.

Your friend, riding buddy, and neighbor,
-Randy

450Racer
07-18-2006, 01:27 PM
update:

yesterday i had 4 accidents during the day, one after breakfast, one during therapy and the other two at other times. i contracted a bladder infection and raised my temp over 101. my back pain significantly increased from a 4 hour car ride and several transfers. yesterday was one of the worst days of my life...

today...6am, i watched the sunrise, ate a good breakfast before my doctor came in. my injury was a T6. Three weeks after the accident, I progressed to a T8 which means my movement increased and is descending or moving down from the injury level (i could move my two upper ab muscles last week. Today, I could contract all all of my abdomen muscles). I also started to get some bladder control, pressure in my sacral areas (butt), bowels, and lower back. in other words, i'm on a roller coaster ride. one day absoluetly sucks, the next is awesome, like today. i have some backpain but i don't even mind pain anymore. it's something you accept and get used to. it makes you stronger and more tolerant to more pain. the more pain you have, the more you can tolerate. that makes mild pain a joke where some people cry over it.

against my doctors predictions, i am improving, progressing, and descending multiple times faster than what they expected and farther. i went initially from a T6 to a T10 in three weeks. that is very rare. a few more vertebrae down and i'll start to regain my upper leg motor movements and control. over time, this could lead to me walking again. at the rate my body is healing, that might not be out of the question yet. they're giving me a 1% chance. and that's my motive to beat the odds. because when they give you a 99% chance, peoploe let their guard down adn that's when they fall. it's very possible i may have stopped progressing, it's up to god now. if i walk, it wouldnt' be for years. my legs have lost much muscle, tone, and muscle memory. the dexterity will be very poor so it will take even more rehab and training to overcome it. until then, i sold my truck and with the help of many others raising money for me, i will be able to buy hand controls so i can drive my new vehicle.

one last thing...you may have heard this before but...the second you give up is the second that things could have gotten better. do not give up, and keep a positive attitude. if i would have been this positive before, i would have been much more successful in school, racing, and other things. c yall

juanki
07-18-2006, 01:38 PM
i'm very happy to hear that you are doing very well, keep up the good spirits and dont let go. you'll see that determination is the way to be the best, you where doing it when you where riding, i've seen your videos and you were awsome, i dont expect you to quit, yournot that kind.

keep up the good spirits.

all my best wishes go to you.

RandRRrider
07-18-2006, 01:40 PM
Great to hear!!!! Stay strong, brother!! Keep the faith!!!

IOWAracer
07-18-2006, 03:27 PM
Keep up the great work your goin right where you wanna be headed before you know it you will be back on your feet and hopfully back on a quad which is right where you belong!!!!

Anthony's Dad
07-21-2006, 11:42 AM
Hey everyone,

Anthony is slowly gaining more feeling and movement each day. We are all very hopefull that this trend continues.
I would like to ask all the riders who were at the quad nationals at Steel City if they have video footage of the Saturday 265C and Production C races. We have limited video and would love to have video for Anthony's two national race wins, especially since these are the last two races of his career - at least racing quads. If you have even brief shots, I could splice a video together from several sources. Please respond to this thread or e-mail me at ajmastrocola@yahoo.com or call me at 814-934-1177. Thank you all very much for all you have done. God Bless You.

Chris Mastrocola

KXRida
07-21-2006, 10:12 PM
tell anthony I'll keep in touch with him. I'm going on vacation for a week, but I'll still give him a ring.

Oh Chris, sorry I missed your call, I had to go to work that one day at 4:00. I take it you guys sold the truck?

KXRida
07-21-2006, 10:14 PM
also, let me know the next time anthony gets a day pass and I'll request off work and we'll go to the movies or something.

dan harris
07-24-2006, 06:53 AM
Anthony,

You are truly an inspiration and a hero to me. I am so inspired and impressed with your courage, strength, attitude and determination. I don't think anyone can truly imagine what you have been going thru both emotionally and physically. Yet you have kept such a positive attitude and moved ahead with such strength and courage. Everyone is talking about how well you are progressing and we are all praying for you. Not only do I believe that you will do great things, I also believe you will inspire others to do what they didn't know or believe they could. To me thats a true hero. God bless you Anthony your an inspiration to us all, and I look forward to riding with you Again !

Anthony's Dad
08-08-2006, 07:50 PM
Hey Everyone,

Anthony is finally home! We were all in Pittsburgh for seven weeks but we're glad to be back. I don't want to get too excited but Anthony was able to slightly move his knees yesterday. He has just regained a little control over his hip flexor muscles that made his thighs contract and move his knees. He continues to exceed the doctors expectations.
The Coombs family from Racer X invited Anthony and family to Loretta Lynn's this weekend for the quad nationals. It will be great to get back to the track again and we appreciate the generousity of the Coombs family to cover the expenses of this trip. If you are going, please look for Anthony... he will be on the lower level of the announcers tower.
Thanks again to everyone who has been so supportive. It means the world to Anthony. There's a long road ahead, but thanks to all of you, he's got the holeshot and not looking back! God Bless You.

Chris Mastrocola

Pappy
08-08-2006, 07:52 PM
Hey thats great news!!!!!

Anthony..I know its covered in mud, but I think you will be able to see the sticker:cool:

mic 902
08-09-2006, 12:38 AM
Thats really good news. Like music to my ears... lol But seriously, it is amazing how Anthony continues to proves the doctors wrong and keeps getting better. Good luck Anthony. Maybe you can come to Australia for a holiday when your all good to go. :D

Honda TRX250ex
08-09-2006, 10:48 AM
Thats great news!!! :D Anthony you are truely a hero and one of the stongest people ive seen.

RandRRrider
08-09-2006, 10:57 AM
That is GREAT news!!!

jdwxv3
08-09-2006, 04:26 PM
That is awesome!! Keep up the hard work. I will keep on praying for you!! Later, Josh

KXRida
08-09-2006, 08:43 PM
yea man keep up the good work. When I was there and saw his knee move I have to saw that it freaked me out a little bit. Keep going man and things will keep getting better.

Anthony's Dad
08-10-2006, 07:42 PM
Anthony and family will be at the Loretta Lynn's quad nationals this weekend thanks to the generousity of Racer X and the Coombs family. We'll be spending a lot of the time in the first floor of the announcers tower. If you're going, stop and say hi. See you there!!

Chris Mastrocola

FoxRacing81
08-10-2006, 09:25 PM
Anthony, You are my hero. I would have never been able to pull myself through something like that...I'd probably just give up...but you are a true inspiration. I wish you the best on your recovery, and hope you can someday get back to what you love. Even if it isn't racing, I hope you continue to have a career in ATVs. I will be purchasing a sticker dedicated to you this weekend off of Jesse Fatula at this weekends race at Field of Dreams. I will put it right on the front of my quad, and continue to support and wish you the best of luck on your recovery.

-Justin Briggs

rwhitaker04
08-13-2006, 08:15 PM
wow anthony..uve came a long ways since my last post.....u are truely an inspiration to anyone that ever gets hurt...everyone takes it for granted that they wont get hurt..well this is proof...and your doing the right thing by not giving up...everyone gives up cause its the easier of the 2 to do...and im proud that you are fighting..u have to be one of the strongest people i know.....man one day..i can tell...u will be running out side to hop into or onto your car or quad for that matter..to ride on...good luck..man speedy recovery..its in gods hands now...and i believe hes looking down on you since your fighting so well..that he knows u more then anyone else deserves to walk/ride again...keep your head up man...Ronnie..