PDA

View Full Version : Slip on or full exhaust?

AR15 guy
06-19-2006, 06:05 PM
I am on a budget but I will save up for the full exhaust is the performance difference is huge.

`I can get a used White Brothers slip on for pretty cheap locally. I may jump on it.

If not I am going with the full yoshimura exhaust.

Any Idea what kind of power I would get from a slip on vs. a full exhaust?

Friend of mine has a K&N, jet kit, and full big gun exhaust. It absolutely destroys stock KFX400's and almost runs with my buddies stock raptor 660.

Wonder if I would get similiar results from a slip on pipe? Also planning on a stage 1 hotcam soon and twin air filter.

06-19-2006, 06:22 PM
Their is a HUGE power difference from the slip on pipe and the full exhaust.
I would save up the money and buy a full exhust system.

Choppers
06-19-2006, 06:22 PM
well personally i would just wait and get the full-system if your getting a cam. now granite you will see an increase in power but wouldn't you want to save the money you have for a little longer and get alot more bang for your buck?

just my 2 sense.

PS: I am waiting to get full-system rather than slip-on. And highly reccomend yoshimura my uncle has it and am impressed.

GPracer2500
06-19-2006, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Jason#19
Their is a HUGE power difference from the slip on pipe and the full exhaust.
I would save up the money and buy a full exhust system.

That's a pretty bold statement. Got anything to back it up?

exrider008
06-19-2006, 06:32 PM
i have the HMF full system and love it. deff save up and get the full.

CHEVYZ
06-19-2006, 06:36 PM
I ran a FMF powercore 4 slip-on for years, and it made good power compared to stock. I added a FMF Powerbomb header and didn't notice much of a difference. Personally, I would get the slip-on and get a head pipe (If you please) later. Full-exhaust is worth it with mods... stock I don't feel that it is necessary.. there are better places to spend your cash. JMO.

TRX23rider
06-19-2006, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by CHEVYZ
I ran a FMF powercore 4 slip-on for years, and it made good power compared to stock. I added a FMF Powerbomb header and didn't notice much of a difference. Personally, I would get the slip-on and get a head pipe (If you please) later. Full-exhaust is worth it with mods... stock I don't feel that it is necessary.. there are better places to spend your cash. JMO.

same here except that i had a hmf pipe. i noticed a little power increase but i dont think that it was worth the $200+ i paid for the powerbomb header. the stock header on a 400ex is actually pretty good.

400exstud
06-19-2006, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by CHEVYZ

I agree. There really isn't that much of a difference on a mildly dun-up motor.

AR15 guy
06-19-2006, 09:52 PM
Will a slip on fit any other headpipe?

I didn't measure it but my buddies big gun looks much larger than my 400ex's stock headpipe.

If I can get this white bro's slip on cheap enough I probably will get it. Then save up for a full system down the road.

I have to get a clutch before I can start modding it since mine is on its way out.

What are the best first mods?

400eXr1d3rZ
06-20-2006, 03:14 AM
TIRES, pipe, jet, air filter, those are just some of the first things people get.

NCexRider
06-20-2006, 05:54 AM
Like stated before, unless you have a highly modded motor you won't see that much of a difference between a slip on & a full system.

CHEVYZ
06-20-2006, 06:48 AM
How much are you getting the WB for? If you don't get the WB, get a HMF. For around $200.00 they are excellent pipes. They look and perform very decently!

As for what other mods, there are many. Besides going into the engine... which I would recommend, but only if you have experience and are comfortable with it... I would recommend that you remove the air box lid, if you haven't done so, get a K&N air filter (Unless you are particular to UNI, or whatever, your choice), get a slip-on, and rejet your carb. Unless you are in a need for better tires, as also stated, everything else can come down the road if you please.

AR15 guy
06-20-2006, 07:43 PM
I went ahead and ordered a twin air filter today along with my EBC clutch. I was in dire need of a clutch.

I still haven't heard from the guy about the white brothers exhaust but I think I can get it for 100$ or less.

Should I just buy individual jets or go ahead and order a kit?

exrider008
06-20-2006, 08:02 PM
GET THE JET KIT. i just had to jet mine and it was such a pain in the arse to haver to run back to the dealer everytime i needed a diffrent jet.

GPracer2500
06-20-2006, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by AR15 guy
...Should I just buy individual jets or go ahead and order a kit?

I prefer individual jets. Buy a range of sizes (say 150, 152, 155, 158, 160 or whatever range is appropriate for your tune). Whatever you don't use you'll have on hand as your riding conditions or your engine's state of tune changes.

Might want to pick up a pilot jet or two also. Most (all?) jet kits don't come with pilot jets...:ermm:

AR15 guy
06-20-2006, 09:00 PM
I jetted my crf230 and I just purchased the main and pilot. Set me back like 15$.

Think I will need to change my needle if I get a slip on and air filter?

400exstud
06-21-2006, 09:07 AM
Your stock needle position will be best for a slip-on.

I would buy individual jets. It seems that people who buy the kits trust the instructions too much and they don't use their common sense to better the problem. Learn to do it yourself.

Also, jet kits go buy different incraments than the keihnen (SP) ones. There are a lot of people on here that just jet kits, but the majority of people on here use K's. If you go with the majority, you can get a lot of help from people on here.

If you don't already have'em buy some good nerfs. They will pay for themselves down the road.

AR15 guy
06-21-2006, 09:11 AM
I think I am going to pick-up some DG fatty nerfs when I can get the money. I need a set of tires next. Trying to get it lined out so I can start modding it.

Had to change all my brake pads and clutch just to get it ridable.