PDA

View Full Version : Ur opinion on Axle bearings

ELewandowski
06-19-2006, 03:04 PM
I need new axle bearings, mine are toasted. I have noticed when looking at new bearings, they range from $15-$50. Should i buy the most expensive, or is there a certain brand i should look for. I have never done bearings before, so I dont know what company's are good.

NCexRider
06-19-2006, 04:07 PM
Go to a local bearing supply, take your old ones and have them match them. Much less expensive.

Ridered416ex
06-19-2006, 05:27 PM
wat ever you do i would suggest not getting pivot works i have blown out 2 sets of them in about 8 months

Pappy
06-20-2006, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by Ridered416ex
wat ever you do i would suggest not getting pivot works i have blown out 2 sets of them in about 8 months

sounds like you may be over torquing the axle lock not....thats a big cause for premature bearing failures.

if your running a stock carrier, buy cheap, chances are your carrier will destruct itself so dont waste the money on the high end bearings. If you have an aftermarket carrier, get a quality bearing in it.

400eXr1d3rZ
06-20-2006, 10:42 AM
How do you know when you need to axle bearings? Its never happened to me before but I want to know what happens if it does.

ELewandowski
06-20-2006, 10:46 AM
Well, the way I knew i needed new ones, was when the old ones fried up, grinded a little in there and spewed out the side of the carrier.

400exstud
06-20-2006, 11:50 AM
I agree with the cheap bearings. I am going to go to my local bearing shop and get some sealed farm bearings and they should work fine.

We've been using farm bearings in our snowmobiles and they have been working better than stock ones. Even in my dad's ZRT 800 they are holding up good.

Just remember, bearings like grease.

Edit: There are only like 5 real bearing manufacturers, and the rest are just middle-men.

BossmanEX
06-20-2006, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by 400eXr1d3rZ
How do you know when you need to axle bearings? Its never happened to me before but I want to know what happens if it does.

A good way to tell before you grenade them and lock the rearendup is to check for slack in the axle. If the axle moves inside the carrier when rocking the atv from side to side, its time for new ones. They WILL wear out but if you keep them greased and check them often they will last a little longer.